Redoing Group 4?

rhaldud

I did the Group 4 project last year. When we got the scores back, I was extremely shocked to get 2/6. I got 0 points for both "self-reflection and evaluation" and "self-motivation and perseverance" but 2 points for "working within a team". I'm guessing that I dropped the 2 points for "self-motivation and perseverance" because I abdicated from being the leader after a couple of mere hours since I did not know my advisor or share any classes with her, unlike this guy in my group. Also, there was another girl in my group who didn't do any work at all, constantly tardy, turned in forms after the deadline, etc. but ended getting 6/6. The advisor always got our names confused and constantly referred to me as her and vice-versa. She did not have a great relationship with her either and often argued. Furthermore, I didn't even know that it was possible to do poorly on the "self-reflection and evaluation" part if one filled out the evaluation as thoughtfully as one could. :/

I don't feel as if it was particularly fair. When I asked my advisor about it, she essentially told me through email that "I got what I deserved" and that I would not have the chance to appeal. However, I feel as if I should have the chance to be able to redo it. When school starts again, I'll have to speak with my IB coordinator, but does redoing Group 4 Project go against IB protocol and do I have to suck it up and stay with my ****ty grade? :(

• 1 month later...

The group 4 is part of your internal assesment mark, and if you haven't already took the exam, the choice is ultimately up to your school. If they have sent out the IA, then you are screwed. However, I don't see how you can redo a "group" project.

It is unfortunate that you school's teachers are inadequate to access its students; however, that's one of the risks of taking the IB diploma.

The best thing to do right now is to go directly to the IBC or complain to IBO directy, though I doubt your mark will change if your teacher is that stubborn. In this case, the teacher will ALWAYS be right (though she may not). If you put yourself in the IB coordinator's position; who is he going to trust, the student or the teacher?

As far as I know, many students get 4-6 on the personal skills portion of the IA. To me, getting a 0 or 2 is completely unacceptable if you did a bit of work.

I re-did my group 4 project because I was away on the 'trip' (we had a couple of planning meetings and presentation night which I attended). Initially I got 5/6 and I wasn't satisfied ! So yeah I did it again with a couple of kids who were in the same boat as me and we all ended up with a 6/6. Your advisor/supervisor or whoever gave you that mark is who we often call a b****. You clearly deserved higher than that if what you wrote here is correct! Woo she's kind of like my old EE supervisor who was 24 and half brain dead. She treated me like a piece of paperwork and always told me that because I handed my draft in late, my EE had a high chance of plagiarism. The most retarded reasoning and logic I have never heard in my 17 years of life. She was a duck, a cow and a snake....angry.gif

Ask you IB coordinator definitely. I'm sure he/she will be able to help you out because you really should aim for 6/6 in group 4!! It's one of those give away markssmile.gif I talked to my IB coordinator (she is also my bio teacher) and she was really helpful. She organised everything for us to do a 'mini' one again because all we needed was +1.

Edited by ecieee

Agree with God, it's hard to redo the Group 4 Project.

However, one thing to add is, maybe you should mention to your IB Coordinator that your advisor may have gotten you and that other girl mixed up. It might not end up with you getting a better mark, but it's worth a shot.