Do Examiners Check Sources?

Ahrar Anwar

If claims are made in the essay or statistics/evidence used, referencing is always required otherwise you will get a "evidence?" marked beside your sentence. Whether an examiner is able to see whether your citations are legitimate is hard to say. While some examiners have very little skill, experience and mark papers purely for the money, some examiners are extremely experienced in their field and do it for pleasure. It is highly likely that these examiners have done extensive reading on particular subjects and if it so happens that they have a particular interest in your topic the chances of being caught out are extremely high. This is especially the case if you start putting words into the mouths of well known authors. Thus, citing false information and not backing up evidence/opinions is not advisable. I agree with Daedalus; you would indeed be an "idiot" not to put in the small amount of extra effort.

If claims are made in the essay or statistics/evidence used, referencing is always required otherwise you will get a "evidence?" marked beside your sentence. Whether an examiner is able to see whether your citations are legitimate is hard to say. While some examiners have very little skill, experience and mark papers purely for the money, some examiners are extremely experienced in their field and do it for pleasure. It is highly likely that these examiners have done extensive reading on particular subjects and if it so happens that they have a particular interest in your topic the chances of being caught out are extremely high. This is especially the case if you start putting words into the mouths of well known authors. Thus, citing false information and not backing up evidence/opinions is not advisable. I agree with Daedalus; you would indeed be an "idiot" not to put in the small amount of extra effort.

its not that im going to cite falsely all the time, but i did it in my IA, and my cuzin who has a bachelors degree in history says hes done it all the time and uni ppl dnt check it. and im not stupid, obviously im not gnna make it so obvious, ive had enough experience with it, especially in my TOK essay XD

they do not check actual books, but extended essays are checked to plagiarism using a special programme the IB has. So quote correctly. Plagiarism may surprise you

Special program? :rofl: hahah.

They use turnitin.com and have been using it since the past 8 years. And I recommend all IB students, in fact every student around the globe to avoid plagiarism.

*Confession* I tend to quote web pages and books quite a bit. So before submitting ANY essay, portfolio, IA or anything I scan my document via a plagiarism scanner. Below are some free plagiarism scanners. my favourite (and the best) is the first one. I like viper because it shows me EXACTLY what's been copied.

Viper plagiarism scanner (Available for Windows only)

Then there are some other websites..which aren't that great.

Academic Plagiarism Checker For Colleges and Universities

PlagScan Plagiarism Checker

So have fun!

they do not check actual books, but extended essays are checked to plagiarism using a special programme the IB has. So quote correctly. Plagiarism may surprise you

They use turnitin.com and have been using it since the past 8 years. And I recommend all IB students, in fact every student around the globe to avoid plagiarism.

*Confession* I tend to quote web pages and books quite a bit. So before submitting ANY essay, portfolio, IA or anything I scan my document via a plagiarism scanner. Below are some free plagiarism scanners. my favourite (and the best) is the first one. I like viper because it shows me EXACTLY what's been copied.

Viper plagiarism scanner (Available for Windows only)

Then there are some other websites..which aren't that great.

Academic Plagiarism Checker For Colleges and Universities

PlagScan Plagiarism Checker

So have fun!

lmao yh turnitin isnt that special. i got a bit worried cuz i thot they dint

They never check sources. While most of the time I tried to keep my sources in check and use legitimate quotes, after every 4th or 5th quote I would need to make a point but finding the right quote was impossible, so I would just write my own thing and put it in quotation marks and cite it. It always worked out. But I would avoid plagiarism like the plague, if you're caught with that, you're finished.

• Like 2

Yeah, our school made us all get a turnitin account, so they don't have to do too much of the work. It's actually pretty handy. I use it all the time to make sure that I don't accidentally leave out a source (which is really easy to do when you've got about fifty or so of them!)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to branch off from Ahrar's original post, but I have a similar question. I'm doing my EE on history written in French, with the purpose of earning my billingual diploma. According to my mentor, about at least half my sources half to be in French; would those be checked as well?

First of all, I'm pretty sure this is untrue - three-fourths of my sources were in a language other than my EE (Swedish or Finnish, rather than English).

In any case, if there is a plagiarism check, then yes, it will work similarly for foreign language sources.

• 6 years later...

I was wondering if, for example, in my TOK essay I included 3 real life situations from articles which I DID include in the references, nonetheless, I altered some of the actual parts of the stories in order to fit my essay better. Do you think they would actually read these large articles and discover that the stories dont match up?