Holidays - when and how long?

lilianna009

Since I've been enjoying my holidays for a month and still I read here about people having some mocks I was wondering...

When do you have your holidays? Those longer and those lasting a week, two or sth? And summing all, how many 'free' days you have in the whole year?

Oh, and where are you from/where do you attend school?

As I mentioned, I've started mines a month ago and I still have more than a month as school starts the 1st of September. Then we have a week of Christmas break and a bit later 2 weeks of winter holidays and a few days for Easter and a few in the beginning of May. There are also some one-days. I guess all in all it would be sth more than 3 months :).

And I'm from Poland :).

Edited by lilianna009

I go to school in Australia, and we have 4 terms of school a year, each lasting between 9-12 weeks. Mostly they're 10-11 weeks though. We have a few public holidays approx ~ 6-7 in the year, and in between terms 2, 3 and 4, we have a 7-10 days of holidays. Then we have the summer holidays, and depending on what grade you're in, you have 6-9 weeks of holidays between terms 4 and 1 of next year :). This is for public schools only; private schools have longer holidays each time. Right now I'm in term 3, and have my mock exams coming up :o Then comes term 4, in which I will do my final IB exams :(.

Umm... About 20 days of from Mid-December to early January for Christmas and New Year's. Another 15 days from mid-March until April beginning for Spring Break. Finally from the second week of June until September 1st is summer break. That was the breakdown during school.

At Uni, its a lot more chilled, we get a month off from Dec. 10 to Jan. 10 for Winter, almost 6 weeks off for Easter from mid-March until the end of April, and 4 months off for summer from June until October 1st.

I love Uni life.

all schools in Indonesia start in July and finish in June the next year.

at my school, we go by quarters. we have 4 quarters a year and quarter breaks are usually 2-3 weeks long but semester breaks are usually 4-5 weeks long.

the longest holiday I've ever got is 5 weeks I believe... ugh. in some public national schools they even have no quarter break as national schools go by semesters and each semester break is maximum 3 weeks only.

I live in the USA and I live in what is known as a "resort area" where we get tons of tourists each summer which is the local area's main source of income. Because of that, we start school around September 6 or so, depending on when Labor Day is. We start the day after it. Our next break off is a teacher work day which is in the beginning of November. In November we also get the day off for Election Day and we get a few days off for Thanksgiving. In December we get about 10 days or so off for Christmas, from about December 22 or so until January 3 or so. After we come back from Christmas Break our next break is our Spring Break which is usually in the middle of April, but sometimes there's a day off in that time for a teacher work day or something. We get Memorial Day off at the end of May, and then we get out of school in the middle of June, usually around the 16th or so (I think this year it was the 17th). My school is split up into four quarters, each about 9 weeks long. Our summer break is about 9 weeks or so, my math might be a little off on this. However there are some schools in my area that go year-round with their summer distributed in 2-3 week breaks throughout the year.

Yayy

In Poland the school year begins on September 1st. We have a fay off on October 14th for the National Education Day, and then for all saints' Day (don't know whether it's the proper name) and independence day on November 1st and 11th respectively.

Next to go is Christmass break between December 23th and January 2dn (not strictly). Then we have a winter break lasting always two weeks, and beginning somewhere between mid-Januar and mid-February, depending on the region of the country.

Then comes the longest period of continuous school, and the next holiday is Easter - we have a one-week break then.

May is the time of the longest weekend - we have a Labour Day on the 1st of May, and Constitution Day on the 3rd. The day between is also a holiday.

We end a school year around June 20th, bur it depends on the year, and come back again in September.

But the above scheme will no longer apply to me! :D

wow, i actually never considered how different holidays would be around the world...

Ok, so I live in Canada, and we start school the day after Labour Day, which is the first Monday in September. That means our first day of school is the first Tuesday of September. And then we go until October, when we get a day off for Thanksgiving. After that, we get two weeks off for Christmas and New Years, and we're normally back in school in the first Monday of January. Because I live in Ontario, we get a day off in February called Family Day, which is just a special day off that the provincial government threw in as a treat. After that, we have March Break, which is like our spring break, which is one week in the middle of March. Then we go straight till Easter, where we have both Good Friday and Easter Monday off, making it a four day weekend. Then, I believe we get a day off for Victoria Day in May. After that, we go straight till the last couple of weeks in June, and school ends in the second-last or last week. July and August is our summer vacations, until school starts again in September. Other than that, we often get half-days off or one day off here and there if the teachers are having what we call Professional Developement days.

• Like 1