ToK teachers

Norgonq

My ToK teacher happens to also teach the maths. Interesting combination seeing as how ToK supposedly has no right answer whereas there is only so much room for discussion in math (the noob type anyway). This kind of translates to our ToK lessons where I often feel that she takes whatever point someone tries to make and twists it into the "correct" answer. Fortunately there's a load of journals where no one can talk back :P The times when we do manage to initiate a randomish-sorta-on-the-topicish discussion feel like victories :P

How's your experience with ToK (yes, I insist on the o being lowercase) teachers?

Well, ours teaches History (which I thankfully don't study) too. He's okay, but he tends to go on and on about stuff for too long and our discussion is usually only limited to very few people in the class. However, he's extremely qualified to teach ToK, he has studied Philosophy and really knows what he's doing. He's also been an examiner for ToK Essays earlier on, so he knows what's expected of us - it's a big bonus!

My TOK teacher was amazing. He's sweet, kind, nice and ALWAYS has something good to say about everyone. He's seriously the nicest person I've ever met and he never gets mad, just disappointed. But that disappointment makes you feel so guilty and try so much harder for next time, so everyone did really well in his class because we all wanted to please him lol. He's very passionate about what he teaches and very old-school..doesn't watch tv, he prefers listening to the radio to make use of all of his senses. He reads the newspaper religiously and he's very learned and scholarly. I loved his class and him! One of the best teachers I've ever had and it was my favourite class that semester.

Oh yeah and he's also got a Masters in philosophy so he's very good at teaching :P . He also teaches politics, law, and history for the regular academics at school but only TOK for IBers.

Edited by __inthemaking

My ToK teacher happens to also teach the maths. Interesting combination seeing as how ToK supposedly has no right answer whereas there is only so much room for discussion in math (the noob type anyway). This kind of translates to our ToK lessons where I often feel that she takes whatever point someone tries to make and twists it into the "correct" answer. Fortunately there's a load of journals where no one can talk back :D The times when we do manage to initiate a randomish-sorta-on-the-topicish discussion feel like victories :)

How's your experience with ToK (yes, I insist on the o being lowercase) teachers?

most mathematicians are good TOKers :) Alchin himself is a math HL teacher at sevenoaks school for girls, and he wrote the TOK book :D so yes a very interesting combination I'd say...

EDIT: oh mine was an economist, who was also our Islamic History teacher who self taught herself TOK over the summer before she got the job :) she was the best TOK teacher anyone could ask for!

my teacher asked us to draw pictures and to define which drawing is an artwork.. tat probably wasted half of a lesson, but kinda funny

and my previous tok teacher did pretty much nothing, he raises issues in every classes, and let the talkative students to argue for an hour for the same question

I like the teachers we have. We have three teachers.

The one I have also teaches Math HL and he is great. He's also an examiner. He can be a bit scary sometimes but is actually nice. Sure, we did spend A LOT on math in ToK but we also got a nice mix of discussion, presentations (got to do loooooads) and essay writing.

The other one also teaches Economics HL and Philosophy. He either used or is a chief examiner in ToK. I don't know for sure. I know he was but I don't know if he still is. I do know though that he wrote some of the titles for the 2007 session. As far as I have heard, he is a good, friendly and funny teacher :D

The third one also teaches Swedish HL and is a very good teacher. I know her students really love her and she is very nice as well :)

• 1 month later...

Our TOK teacher is a burned out hippie with a clean shave and a haircut. :D

He is fun to talk to, and definitely gives another perspective to what we are discussing, but sometimes he's a little too out there with his ideas.

I wouldn't like having one of our english teachers for TOK, as most of our english teachers are passionate feminists that hate anything logical in an argument.

Our TOK teacher is a burned out hippie with a clean shave and a haircut. :D

He is fun to talk to, and definitely gives another perspective to what we are discussing, but sometimes he's a little too out there with his ideas.

I wouldn't like having one of our english teachers for TOK, as most of our english teachers are passionate feminists that hate anything logical in an argument.

I HATE teachers like that. I HATE people like that. Although i suppose hate is a strong word; it is very irritating.

My ToK teacher was the best teacher I ever had. He is rumoured to be around 65-70 years old, savagely funny (however only me and one other girl in my class seemed to understand his sense of humour), incredibly intellegent and just plain cool (he came to some of the students parties, lol). He taught philosophy and history, and did his undergraduate course at Oxford and his post-grad at Harvard. Therefore when we got our results lots of people in my class got As.

Guest syrianstar

You guys are soo lucky to have good ToK teachers; unfortunantly it's one of my worst subjects at the moment and the fact that it's actually meant to be exciting, but my school makes it mega boring, is soo irritating. :)

My ToK teachers is also my English SL teacher; everything was ok for the first week then it went so bad it became unbelievable - we spent lessons reading from the textbooks and discussing matters that we really frankly did not care about.

I don't know if it's the teacher or the fact that we're only four in the class, but all I know that if something doesn't change soon, ToK will be the DEATH of me! :D

I don't know if it's the teacher or the fact that we're only four in the class, but all I know that if something doesn't change soon, ToK will be the DEATH of me! :hug:

Four in a class!?! That would be extremely akward after a few weeks, especially if the topics were boring and nobody wanted to talk about them. (Like music, I put my head down when they were talking about the artistic qualities of a song with no sound for 4 min and 33 seconds.) On the other hand, with a good TOK teacher that would be an extremely fun class.