ToK teachers

Norgonq

Guest syrianstar
Four in a class!?! That would be extremely akward after a few weeks, especially if the topics were boring and nobody wanted to talk about them.

That's exactly how it is; the teacher spends most of the lesson talking about topics, while we listen and if we try a team discussion it only lasts 7 / 8 minutes max because there are only four of us. And then come the awkward silences where somone 'ahem ahems' and someone else pretends to read the student handout.

The teacher learnt now to just give us a worksheet or a question and the leave us to work while she works on something else. Frankly I can't decide on what's worse - the awkward silence or the boring worksheets :hug:

True, but 4 in a class is pretty good if your like with all your friends. If you aren't, I guess it's rather good to be friends, cause you're going to be with them for 2 years =X....

My teacher is alright. He's got a doctorate in philosophy, which I guess is pretty good cause then he knows his stuff. Though when he starts talking about really deep and confusing topics, he kinda gets carried away =P.

AURON

heey

my TOK teacher is my english A1 SL teacher but her TOK class is soo boring and we dread having TOK instead of enjoying a less stressful class!!

she gave us the the titles for the 2008 TOK essays instead of the 2009 and if i didnt find that out we would have done the 2008 essays probably without her discovering the mistake!!!

Guest syrianstar
she gave us the the titles for the 2008 TOK essays instead of the 2009 and if i didnt find that out we would have done the 2008 essays probably without her discovering the mistake!!!

You can't get over that can you deedoz? Chill it out dudette B)

LOL :hug:

I'd have liked to see what would have happened if we DID write an essay on the 2008 titles.............maybe not since I'm in the same class ^_^

• 1 month later...

I had two ToK teachers and they were totally different. It's interesting how teachers of different subjects bring different things to the class room. For the the semester, I had a History teacher as our ToK instructor. My second teacher was a Physics and Math teacher. The latter teacher would always force us to justify our claims with concrete evidence while the former was more liberal in his teaching. Next year I think I'm getting an actual Philosophy teacher.

Edited by LeeHits

Does anyone have a separate class made just for TOK? I'm hearing of this new schedule where TOK is now going to be fused with our elective classes....

Anyway...my TOK teacher is a sweet, sweet woman. She's just one of those conservative, simple types who likes to spend her time talking about her own beliefs. She's not one to incite much conversation and my class was generally quiet, so our discussions really went nowhere.

Guest Lily Bean
Does anyone have a separate class made just for TOK? I'm hearing of this new schedule where TOK is now going to be fused with our elective classes....

Anyway...my TOK teacher is a sweet, sweet woman. She's just one of those conservative, simple types who likes to spend her time talking about her own beliefs. She's not one to incite much conversation and my class was generally quiet, so our discussions really went nowhere.

And she teaches TOK?????? lol. O.o

And she teaches TOK?????? lol. O.o

*sigh* Yes, yes she does. =P

There is this new scheduling where TOK is not a separate class and it is fused with our elective classes. Since the only electives given to us in 11th grade are chemistry, physics, and theater arts, the 3 TOK "teachers" are also chemistry, physics, and t.a. teachers.

...we have another teacher came in to discuss with us when we have to learn Maths as an area of knowledge.

Just out of curiosity: Why do you do that?

I mean, in my school at least, when we discuss Maths as an AoK it doesn't involve that much actual math, but more of an analysis of the nature of Maths and things like that. Or is it my teacher who "teaches" it wrong?

My ToK teacher is the IBC. Our regular one had to leave because her husband was diagnosed with cancer so the replacement was a total ass. He waited until the last week of school and crammed what we were suppose to learn in 60 hours into 4 hours. He also gave us a monster test at the end which was total BS.

I'm ecstatic that we will be getting our regular IBC back.

Well my TOK teacher is quite an odd man. He also teaches english so that doesn't interfere with TOK too much. He's extremmelly excentric but AMAZINGLY knowledgeable!

It's interesting. He claims to be a rationalist and has therefore taught us how to argue correctly. So when we do have discussions or arguments about particullarly subjective topics, he puts up his own opinions and conclusions, tears ours down, and then teaches us how to tear his own argument down. So in the end no one has won. I like it this way because it extend out minds to think... what and who is actually right? and is there a right answer?

He looks at everything form different points of views, for example using maths and language, and is great at helping us understand different aspects of TOK. I think that maths is good to explain things like Pythagoras's therom and how pythagoras view the world through shapes andnumbers, but it is not the only way to explore something.

We have also had a philosophy university lecture to come in and talk to us, as well as looking at various documetns and dvd's on various topics of tok.

-soph x

Edited by schouston1991

My ToK teacher teaches philosophy and economics, he is also a cellist and composer and I've heard that he has studied both maths and physics at university for several years. Besides, he is fluent in three languages, so he is pretty educated.

On the lessons, he spends on third of the time telling us what we should'nt do (reading this or that bad ToK book, writing "since the dawn of time" etc) without giving us an explanation to why, one third of the time telling us that we must go to foreign universities and the last third acutally teaching us ToK...

But he is pretty good.

My ToK teacher happens to also teach the maths. Interesting combination seeing as how ToK supposedly has no right answer whereas there is only so much room for discussion in math (the noob type anyway). This kind of translates to our ToK lessons where I often feel that she takes whatever point someone tries to make and twists it into the "correct" answer. Fortunately there's a load of journals where no one can talk back :D The times when we do manage to initiate a randomish-sorta-on-the-topicish discussion feel like victories :D

mine is a math teacher too!!!!!!!! AND he has this notion that he's ALWAYS correct so we can never have a discussion in class. one of his comments for my friends tok essay was "simplistic and simplicity are similar" and then in the next sentence he was like they're contradictory LMAO.

he screwed us over big time....i didnt learn a thing and i was looking fwd to that class :D

his classes are super boring - all he does is put transparancies (stuff from the ToK txt book) on the projector and makes ppl read it :)

i am sooo happy its over :D

Edited by starry-night

My TOK teacher teaches english, she's quirky, with a funny dress sense.

She doesn't allow much freedom of thoughts though, she tries to guide our thinking according to hers :D

And discussion doesn't come openly, its rather forced because she picks people one by one instead of opening up her questions to the floor. Some students just can't speak on that topic and it falls flat on the floor..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest heartarcade

Well my TOK teacher is an english teacher, a bit eccentric but I find we don't really do much in class really... He assigns reading for homework (which im fairly sure no one has ever done) and has us do lots of practice pieces of assessment (which everyone seems to do in half hour the night before its due) so really we spend most of our time doing nothing and not caring about TOK. Bad Attitude, eh? I suppose its just the way it set up.

Mine was a physics something. he wasnt a really good teacher cuz it wasnt his profession. he used to work in a lab or something and then decided to come to our school and teach biology and tok.

i liked him cuz we didnt do much in class but now that i have to write the essay i realize he didnt help or teach us