ToK teachers

Norgonq

i liked him cuz we didnt do much in class but now that i have to write the essay i realize he didnt help or teach us

lol, ouch.

mine was a history teacher, but he switched to ToK and photography. and apparently he's taking summer courses in world religions :| fun guy, but his teaching strategies are blekh.

Just out of curiosity: Why do you do that?

I mean, in my school at least, when we discuss Maths as an AoK it doesn't involve that much actual math, but more of an analysis of the nature of Maths and things like that. Or is it my teacher who "teaches" it wrong?

Me did that? No.... it's not us...he requested the other teacher to come in..

• 1 month later...
My ToK teacher happens to also teach the maths. Interesting combination seeing as how ToK supposedly has no right answer whereas there is only so much room for discussion in math (the noob type anyway). This kind of translates to our ToK lessons where I often feel that she takes whatever point someone tries to make and twists it into the "correct" answer. Fortunately there's a load of journals where no one can talk back :P The times when we do manage to initiate a randomish-sorta-on-the-topicish discussion feel like victories :)

How's your experience with ToK (yes, I insist on the o being lowercase) teachers?

same...my TOK teacher (IB year 2) has a degree in math...but he also teaches spanish and english...

i switched teachers in IB year 1 and year 2...

year 1's teach hated me 'cause i back talked her the subject "is everything in the world biased" yeah she tore me apart...in return...my group trashed TOK during our presentation...

Our TOK teacher is also the art teacher. And the most sarcastic, critical person you'll meet. Not to say that she isn't a good teacher. But we all dread presentations and practice essays because our arguments/structure go down the drain once she gives us feedback. I don't like TOK at all, since I'm not philosophical and don't see any reason to debate why I know what I know. So really, I try but wish I didn't.

Our teacher is known to be "the best and funniest" teacher in the school. Even people from other schools know about him. But frankly I get a bit irritated with him sometimes, I don't know... he is good but the discussions are always quiet lame. But maybe that depends mostly on the class. However, he teaches Latin and Philisoohy so he is quiet suited for teaching ToK. And overall, the ToK lessons are good.

• 4 weeks later...

My teacher (it's funny how all the posts start in the same way...almost like a poem) is really....hmm, many adjectives would fit here. Smart, cute, agitated, stressed, fast, intelligent, workaholic, and last but not least in love with everything he teaches. Cause he's also biology and ITGS teacher, but I guess he could teach pretty much anything.

I even have a "sample" of him :) www.toktalk.net He recorded himself talking about tok :)

My TOK teacher is weird.. lol great description! No but really! He is like a mix of Dr. House, Chuck Norris and Dr. Perry from Scrubs. It's not only me, it's the general description of him!

He has this obsessive need to be "cool" all the time and it's annoying. His accent, posture, Harley; it's so butch :)

Yea we love him.

So can we agree that all the tok teachers are "different"? Maybe it's a requirement when you want to teach tok...they ask for your weirdness level...

Probably no more than math teachers are different from each other, or biology teachers, or history teachers. Math teachers just have to be qualified in maths and teaching methods, and TOK teachers in critical thinking and teaching methods.

My ToK teacher is also the IB Psychology SL teacher, which is awesome. He's pretty much a stand-up comedian especially because he has a physical handicap (his legs didn't have enough muscles when he was born, so now he has to mosey around with two "crutches" in his hands) and he can always take or give a good joke.

mine is a history teacher but he doesn't teach IB history... so it's kinda weird...

but I heard that many ToK teachers are history teachers, so i was surprised to see you guys have many different kinds of teachers teaching different subjects other than history..

I think english HL teachers might teach ToK well since we have to think deeply while analysing literature..

well, anyway, back to my ToK teacher, he's a good person, but he hasn't teached anything yet.. part of it is that students don't really participate in class, but i think it's also his ability to get students into discussion. i kinda feel that we're learning only obvious ones in classes. i hope it'll get better.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine used to be a Literature teacher, then became an English teacher (for Grammar and all that) but now she just teaches T.O.K in IB. I love her with all my heart. She's both active and demanding, yet at the same time she makes the classes so entertaining. And she always participates in the debates we have. >.<

The best part about it is that, being an old English teacher, she knows how to write essays and all that. And it might be because she studied Literature or something, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Though she always says we can never be 100% sure about anything.

I used to dislike TOK alot last year because I found it unentertaining but this year I'm actually really enjoying it! I have a new teacher this year and she is really good and she is the Head of TOK at my school so I think that helps as she has a passion for it whereas I think some teachers just have to teach TOK therefore don't really enjoy it!