American University applications close before IB results are released.

shen3

Hi(:

Yeah as title suggests, since I am doing the Nov 2011 exams, most American university applications actually close before the release of the official IB results. Please correct me if I got this wrong.

Otherwise, would my IB mock exam grades be the most important indicator for academics as my high school results apart from SAT? Any ideas and helps are appreciated, thank you!

you don't need your IB results to get into an American Uni. You need your highschool transcripts, your SAT reasoning results, and some will require a few SAT2 subjects. Your IB will be counted as credit for some classes. So you won't have to take bio 101 if you got a 6 in bio HL etc.

I applied to several American Unis and they don't particularly care about the IB as defining for your application. They care about your GPA and the level of difficulty of your classes. Also your application essay (common app or uni specific) is very unlike UCAS in that they don't want to hear how perfect you are for your applied subject, but who you are and how well you would fit into their Uni and how diverse and involved you can be while being academically proficient. Most US Unis require you to take the SATs with at least 2 subject tests and these scores are of importance to your application. IB exists solely so you can skip some basic classes by a semester or a year. A person I know is at NYU and because of the 6s and 7s she got in her HLs, she got to skip the social studies requirements there as they were already fulfilled for her.

I suggest you do a little more research via Uni websites for the Unis you're interested in applying to as they all look for something slightly different from their applicants.

• 3 weeks later...