World Lit 2

TolaIBD

IB English World Lit Paper 2

*World lit paper 2 must be 1000 – 1500 words in length and the number of words used must be stated at the end of each assignment.

*Each world lit work may be used in ONE assignment only, so the works you used in your comparative study (WL Paper 1) cannot be used for this paper.

*The nature of the paper must be clearly defined. Define it in your title (for example, "An Analysis of the Symbols Used by Blobbity Blobb in Blah Blah")

*You have three options for this paper.

Option 2a: Comparative Assignment (exactly what you did for your WL1)

• Pick two books that you haven't used in your WL1.
  • Pick a topic that connects these two books
  • Follow the same guidelines as you did for the WL1, its the same format, different books.
Option 2b: Imaginative or Creative Assignment
  • This paper will be based on one world lit work.
  • A statement of intent must immediately precede the body of this type of assignment and must include a brief explanation of all of the following:
    • the work on which the assignment will be based
    • the nature of the task to be engaged in, including consideration such as audience, register, and form
    • the aspects or elements of the work(s) on which the candidate intends to focus
    • how the candidate intends to explore these aspects or elements.

The statement of intent must be included in the word count. The length of the statement will depend on the nature of the piece attempted and should normally not exceed 500 words. However, where the assignment takes the form of a single piece of writing, such as a short poem, the statement may be longer than the body of the assignment and longer than 500 words. Whatever the length of the assignment itself, the total number of words must be between 1000 and 1500.

• There are many possibilities for creative approaches to World Lit assignments which, while giving the candidates an opportunity to exercise imagination and ingenuity, bring them to a deeper understanding of the work being explored and to an increased appreciation of the writer. The following list of suggestions, while not exhaustive, provides some ideas for assignments.
    • The diary of a character accompanied by critical comment by the candidate.
    • A director's letter to the actor playing a particular role or scene.
    • An exercise in which the candidate turns the "story" or a portion of it into another form such as dramatic monologue, biblical parable, folk tale, or myth.
    • A critic's review of a dramatic interpretation or performance.
    • An editorial objecting to censorship or exclusion of a work from a school syllabus.
    • A letter to a publisher outlining the merits of a work to be published and reasons for publication.
    • The creation of dramatic monologues that play the self-perception of the characters against the view of other characters or the author.
    • A transcription either of an imaginary interview with the author about the work in question or of a conversation between two authors about their respective works.
    • A postscript to a novel, or an extra chapter.
    • An additional scene for a play.A pastiche (an imitation or re-creation of an already published work): in this assignment, candidates are encouraged to demonstrate their sensitivity to, and understanding of, a work by providing an original composition after the manner of that work.

Option 2c: Detailed Study

• This paper will be based on one WL work.
  • There are a number of approaches to this type of assignment.
    • A formal essay: a formal piece of writing that follows a logical sequence – just an analytical paper.
    • Analysis of a key passage: the most important word here is "key." The passage for study, whether a paragraph, a chapter, or an extract from a poem, should have major significance for any of a variety of explorations that the candidate might choose to make, for example, prose or poetic style, character study, plot development, or theme. The reason why the candidate has chosen the passage should be briefly explained and the body of the assignment should explain the significance of the passage to the larger work from which it has been taken.
    • Analysis of two key passages: Two significant passages from the same work could be selected in order to explore, for example, contrasting prose styles, descriptive method, character presentation and a range of other aspects. The candidate needs to justify briefly and pivotal nature of the passages chosen, and to demonstrate their particular similarities and differences which the candidate considers interesting.
    • Commentary on an extract: In this exercise, an extract, of approximately 30 lines of prose (or the equivalent in drama or verse), is taken from a work for in-depth analysis. Candidates should justify briefly their selection of the particular extract; the body of the assignment should explore how language, imagery, organization of ideas, and stylistic and thematic aspects work in the passage.

GENERAL INFORMATION:

1. The assignment must be the independent work of the candidate. You must work independently, but with teacher supervision. All work connected with your assignment must be your own.

2. Ask your teacher to:

a. help you decide which kind of assignment (2a, 2b, 2c) you should attempt

b. help you decide on the work on which assignments will be based

c. help you focus the assignment by defining a specific topic

d. help you with the title of the assignment

e. help you decide on the form of imaginative pieces (poem, diary, letter, whatever)

f. help you decide if you need to consult secondary sources

g. discuss your outlines with you to make sure proposals meet the requirements of the assignment

h. suggest to you how to modify your proposal if it's unsuitable

i. discuss you proposal in terms of the assessment criteria

3. Keep all drafts of your paper, either on your computer or as hard copies – including proposals, outlines, and just plain doodling. It may be necessary for your teacher to verify the authenticity of your paper and if he/she can see multiple drafts, that would be sufficient in most cases. Be sure to turn in your rough draft on time so that he/she can give you the most efficient help on this assignment.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 3

Thank you soo much arrowhead for replying me again. I really appreciate the time you took to give me two detailed responses. You are the best, its no wonder you do so well in school :). I have already started writing my essay, my topic falls under option 2b- creative/ imaginative assignment. However, i am not too sure if my topic is proper. I want to tell you my topic but im afraid that someone might use my idea for their own World Lit Paper. Is there anyway i can get it to you privately?? I know if you help me out with this essay ill definately get a 7.

i am doing the same subjects that you did for the IBs as HL and Sl as my HL and SL. You also got the grades that i am aiming at getting. Furthermore, you are in my dream school!! Please can you give me some tips on how to attain my grade goals in my subjects and get into LSE. Thanks again for reply me, you are a life saver!!!I wish you the very best in everything.

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Adetola B Ashaye

I have already started writing my essay, my topic falls under option 2b- creative/ imaginative assignment.

I really wouldn't suggest that. Although you will never hear the IB say outright that that is the option that you should not attempt, they pretty much tell schools that students who attempt this option end up with a proportionally lower grade than students who attempt the other available options.

The reason being that getting the Option 2b right by IB standards is virtually maelstrom. Sometimes some candidates write the most imaginative and creative pieces, but in the process of maintaining that, they lose sight of the clear literary focus they are meant to have and lose out on points no matter how original or amazing their work. Only attempt this option if you're sure in your idea and can write exceptionally well, because the chances of you getting a good grade here as compared to the other options, are much more limited and lower.

But if that's a risk you're willing to take, charge on!

I want to tell you my topic but im afraid that someone might use my idea for their own World Lit Paper. Is there anyway i can get it to you privately?? I know if you help me out with this essay ill definately get a 7.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help. I think I might blush if you continue in this vein. Honestly, my grades are good, but not spectacular as you seem to think. blush.gif

i am doing the same subjects that you did for the IBs as HL and Sl as my HL and SL. You also got the grades that i am aiming at getting. Furthermore, you are in my dream school!! Please can you give me some tips on how to attain my grade goals in my subjects and get into LSE.

Er... Study hard, get your predicted scores to reach 38 points, write a kick-ass PS and make sure your recommendation is suitably complimentary. That should do it.

Edited by Arrowhead

I have already started writing my essay, my topic falls under option 2b- creative/ imaginative assignment.

I really wouldn't suggest that. Although you will never hear the IB say outright that that is the option that you should not attempt, they pretty much tell schools that students who attempt this option end up with a proportionally lower grade than students who attempt the other available options.

The reason being that getting the Option 2b right by IB standards is virtually maelstrom. Sometimes some candidates write the most imaginative and creative pieces, but in the process of maintaining that, they lose sight of the clear literary focus they are meant to have and lose out on points no matter how original or amazing their work. Only attempt this option if you're sure in your idea and can write exceptionally well, because the chances of you getting a good grade here as compared to the other options, are much more limited and lower.

But if that's a risk you're willing to take, charge on!

Arrowhead.

I've heard people say that about option 2b, though I never knew whether it was true or not :o :o. But yes, apparently it's VERY difficult to get a decent mark in a creative, yet analytical piece of work. But good luck if you plan on doing this ^_^

I've heard people say that about option 2b, though I never knew whether it was true or not :o :o

Oh its true alright. When my English teacher first mentioned the Option 2b, her words were, "Option 2b for your second World Literature Paper, Higher Level students only, be careful of this one and avoid it unless you're absolutely sure. Students rarely, if ever, do well in this."

• Like 1

Hey guys it's actually a good idea to not take the creative option because the marking rubric does not have a criteria for creativity, meaning it is difficult to get a high grade. I think the best way to go is do a commentary/analysis on a key passage, this allows you to fully explore a small portion of the text and really go in depth.

• Like 1