Ivy league admission for 2012 Fall Discussion Board

ecieee

Any comments on Liberal Arts Colleges? A lot of people just disregard this thought when I mentioned it, at least in my community....

I know exactly what you mean. When I briefly entertained the idea of pursuing Liberal Arts my parents vehemently refused to pay. In their opinion I rather go backpacking across Europe and Asia for a year than go to a Liberal Arts college for four years and essentially do a tougher High School. Insofar as Liberal Arts colleges are concerned: Smith College is supposed to be really good (a friend of mine transferred there this Fall), another friend is going to start at Middlebury this coming Spring term (she's going for Medicine, but Middlebury is still an awesome Liberal Arts school). I've a few friends who have wonderful things to say about the Liberal Arts programmes at Wellesley, Bates, and Bryn Mawr as well.

Here's a league table I found on the web, maybe it'll give you some ideas as well.

Btw Arrowhead, I was wondering what scores you got in IB, and if you think doing the IB actually helped you get accepted into Yale etc.? Oh and at what date do you have to send US applications by? Because in Aus we finish in November, and I'm not sure whether to apply during the end of my IB year (when I'm really busy) or wait until the next year and possibly put more effort into SAT and ECs... etc.

And to all the Australians in this thread, does anyone know any good organisations in Aus that run SAT tests (I live in SA, but I would like to know of any good organisation in nation).

Thanks.

I've had trouble finding the IB requirements for Law at Stanford and the Ivy Leagues. Do they have set requirements like at Oxford and UCL, or are there sort of assumed minimums?

I do believe that US universities do not have any fixed prerequisites - which makes it quite hard to gauage one's progress. Moreover, I don't IB scores are really considered that much at US unis, its predomiantly your SAT scores that come under consideration. As to how much IB counts for, I am unsure myself. (Btw, SAT scores of 2200+ are usually considered, although special talents in other areas - or lack thereof - may skew this figure).

• Like 1

Btw Arrowhead, I was wondering what scores you got in IB, and if you think doing the IB actually helped you get accepted into Yale etc.? Oh and at what date do you have to send US applications by? Because in Aus we finish in November, and I'm not sure whether to apply during the end of my IB year (when I'm really busy) or wait until the next year and possibly put more effort into SAT and ECs... etc.

I had a 41 in the IB with 7s in History HL, Economics HL, and French Ab Initio, 6s in English HL and Maths SL, and a 5 in ESS SL, B in ToK, and an A in my EE.

I sent in my applications by November/December (if I remember correctly). I dunno about Australia and how you do things there, at my old school, the college counsellor gave all the Seniors individual deadlines based on Uni choices and we sent in our applications accordingly.

Moreover, I don't IB scores are really considered that much at US unis, its predomiantly your SAT scores that come under consideration. As to how much IB counts for, I am unsure myself. (Btw, SAT scores of 2200+ are usually considered, although special talents in other areas - or lack thereof - may skew this figure).

A 5+ in any HL subject in the IB counts as a semester or year's worth of credit at US colleges, but the IB as a diploma is listed as an extracurricular activity (imagine my horror!)

SATs are important insofar as you meet the minimum requirement. Getting a high SAT score doesn't guarantee a spot anywhere at any of the Ivys. I had a 2230 at the end of it, I still got into Yale and Brown.

• Like 1

I had a 41 in the IB with 7s in History HL, Economics HL, and French Ab Initio, 6s in English HL and Maths SL, and a 5 in ESS SL, B in ToK, and an A in my EE.

I sent in my applications by November/December (if I remember correctly). I dunno about Australia and how you do things there, at my old school, the college counsellor gave all the Seniors individual deadlines based on Uni choices and we sent in our applications accordingly.

A 5+ in any HL subject in the IB counts as a semester or year's worth of credit at US colleges, but the IB as a diploma is listed as an extracurricular activity (imagine my horror!)

SATs are important insofar as you meet the minimum requirement. Getting a high SAT score doesn't guarantee a spot anywhere at any of the Ivys. I had a 2230 at the end of it, I still got into Yale and Brown.

Really, I never realised IB was considered an EC!

Anyway, thanks for the information - very useful.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am applying to IV Leagues as well, and am unsure as to how my scores stand with everyone elses. I am so unsure as to whether or not I'll get in, but my parents are very adamant I apply to these schools.

Here are my scores:

SAT 2320 (800 math, 770 CR, 750 writing)

SAT Subject (790 biology 790 chemistry 780 mathII)

I am also president of KEy Club, Vice president of NAtional Honor Society, am dual enrolled at a university for Piano Performance since Sophomore year, In Math Club, National AP Scholar, National Merit Scholar Semifinalist, I have volunteered at a senior center for 5 years, work at the same senior center as an entertainer, and have volunteered at a camp for autistic children as a camp counselor. I also play soccer on the JV team.

Please let me know your stats! I am so interested!

• 2 weeks later...
I've had trouble finding the IB requirements for Law at Stanford and the Ivy Leagues. Do they have set requirements like at Oxford and UCL, or are there sort of assumed minimums?

Law in America isn't an undergraduate course, you have to finish 4 years of Undergrad study in something else, before going onto study Law as a PG course in the States (which is 3 years). That's probably why you're having difficulty figuring that out. UK is one of the few countries where Law is taught as an undergrad course fresh out of High School and you get your base degree in three years (then put in another year for the BVC/LPC and then training contracts for two).

Hello, I am applying to IV Leagues as well, and am unsure as to how my scores stand with everyone elses. I am so unsure as to whether or not I'll get in, but my parents are very adamant I apply to these schools.

Here are my scores:

I am also president of KEy Club, Vice president of NAtional Honor Society, am dual enrolled at a university for Piano Performance since Sophomore year, In Math Club, National AP Scholar, National Merit Scholar Semifinalist, I have volunteered at a senior center for 5 years, work at the same senior center as an entertainer, and have volunteered at a camp for autistic children as a camp counselor. I also play soccer on the JV team.

One thing you need to know about Ivies is that everybody is intelligent, everybody has brilliant grades, and everybody does a million extra-curricular activities. Your admissions essay is one of the few (if not only) things that makes you stand out from the crowd. So work on that.

Edited by Arrowhead

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my scores:

Your scores and extracurriculars look better than mine, and I've just been accepted to Harvard. So just make sure you work on your essays a lot, and practice for your interview if you need to (I didn't). Also, you may want to have some "concentration" within your extracurriculars, so maybe you can use your piano-playing to do charity, teach, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Any comments on Liberal Arts Colleges? A lot of people just disregard this thought when I mentioned it, at least in my community....

I know exactly what you mean. When I briefly entertained the idea of pursuing Liberal Arts my parents vehemently refused to pay. In their opinion I rather go backpacking across Europe and Asia for a year than go to a Liberal Arts college for four years and essentially do a tougher High School. Insofar as Liberal Arts colleges are concerned: Smith College is supposed to be really good (a friend of mine transferred there this Fall), another friend is going to start at Middlebury this coming Spring term (she's going for Medicine, but Middlebury is still an awesome Liberal Arts school). I've a few friends who have wonderful things to say about the Liberal Arts programmes at Wellesley, Bates, and Bryn Mawr as well.

Here's a league table I found on the web, maybe it'll give you some ideas as well.

Thank you very much. Yea, but I like how liberal art colleges work. but...

Anyway, I have shortlisted some and now it's time for essays. I dont have much resources and I have a vague idea on how essays should look like. Arrowhead, I saw you posted your Yale essay here but I am not a VIP to download or view. I am kinda lost.... >.<

I found some colleges that state in their site on the last test date. But, not the last SAT score submission. Should I wait till result's out or just send the reports? I am worried if I will not do well. I did not do well the first time round. (Well, I did not know the format till two days before which explains).

And to all the Australians in this thread, does anyone know any good organisations in Aus that run SAT tests (I live in SA, but I would like to know of any good organisation in nation).

Thanks.

jmw, the dates depend on which institutions you apply to and what type of decision you are applying under - ranging from november to sometimes even june or august.

• 2 months later...
Heya Arrowhead! I have actually read your yale essay - absolutely beautiful yet very very sad.

Can you share your experiences in how you went about applying to US unis? I think I have read from some where that you got accepted to Yale! Why didn't you take it? I would absolutely die for Yale um-hum.

My US Unis' applications was spanned across two intense weekends. One weekend involved sitting for the SATs for the second and last time. I ended up with a score of 2230 and a perfect 800 in the Critical Reading section. In the second weekend I did my Common App essay as well as my special Uni essays that some of the Ivys required. In total, I applied to four US Unis (NYFA, Penn State, Brown, and Yale). I got into all except Penn State.

As for why didn't I take Yale, well as much as I wanted to, the tooth fairy didn't leave me $100,000/year for tuition, boarding, and living. However, I did have enough for £8,000/year for living in London as a local student at LSE. if I had had the funds, I would have gone to Yale, but alas, with the economic crisis and lack of scholarships for International students, it was not meant to be. Besides a Law degree was much more attractive to my parents than going in blind at Yale as Undecided. They were scared I'd give up the academic (so useful) classes and instead end up becoming a Theatre Major or something else equally scandalous. And so the cards are dealt. Maybe I will go to Yale someday. Maybe for my Master's in something? Who knows?

As for actually applying, make your essays personal. When you apply to the US, especially to the Ivys, everyone has amazing grades and amazing activities and is an amazing candidate on paper. They don't want perfect academic drones that march to a beat, they have those dime a dozen. They want exceptional students, different students, students who can bring a sense of diversity to their Universities. A messed up kid who reformed himself and was the frontrunner to becoming Valedictorian (and ultimately became so) at a Swiss Boarding School while on a 100% academic scholarship, that, I'm guessing, impressed Yale.

But that's exactly what I'm doing, guessing. It really comes down to the luck of the draw. I think most people at the Ivys would concur that if they sent their applications again the following year, they aren't 100% certain they would get in again.

Ahhh Yale, so many dreams unfulfilled...

You're my ideal IB student!! Could you please upload your Yale essay? I'm really stressed out for exams, SATs and uni essays :( I'd love to go to Yale and I was also planning on applying to LSE before but my business teacher told me it's extremely difficult to get accepted there. Any tips?

PS - You have a fan here :D