How are History IAs assigned at your school?

Agneisse

My teacher basically handed us a list of thirty-two topics, with 2 books/journal articles that offer contrasting views for each topic, and we were to choose one of the 32 topics and use those 2 sources.

Purely out of curiosity, I was wondering if this was common practice, or did other teachers do it differently? (:

Edited by Agneisse

our teacher didn't give us anything... we had to do everything on our own, without any suggestions.. on one hand it is really frustrating because i would have appreciated some help from him when looking for information and different sources.. on the other hand it is as always teaching you to work on your own..

when our drafts were finished he looked through all of them and based on something graded them.. i really don't believe that he had used the marking criteria; the grades were more or less a reflection of how he liked your work :P

and now the final IAs are somewhere at his office for at least 3 weeks and he still haven't read any of them..

p.s. i sincerely believe he is terrible at teaching (btw he almost can't speak english)

I'm not in history, but I know that the history teacher assigns the Historical Investigation on like the first day of school in September. He set out deadlines for choosing the topic, making an annotated bibliography of all the sources, making an outline of the HI, and then a rough draft and finally a final copy. And he checks over your stuff at each step. I know this because I had him for grade 10 pre-IB history and we were assigned an HI for a CPT (final project worth 15% of our mark) and he went through the exact same process.

My IB teacher (for History of Europe) gave us a packet called "The Historical Investigation: Guidance for students". The packet gave us a very brief explanation about each of the 6 sections that you need for the historical investigation. Then it gave us 4 outlines that illustrate some possible approaches to the historical investigation. It also had one example of an historical investigation and how to properly make a bibliography. Then she told us that the rest was up to us. We had to come up with our topics on our own, she only told us whether our topic was acceptable according to IB guidlines or not. Our teacher did however grade it once and returned it to us so that we could improve it but when she graded it the second time she wouldn't let us change any of it. She gave us approximately 8 months to complete our historical investigation.

we were givin the assiganment.. then we were given a month to come up with a possible topic, and then we turned in 10 possible sources, then part A, and about a month later part b, and then a moth later part c, and then another month later we tuned in a complete rough drft with a peer edit, and then two weeks later we turned in two copys for the final draft

on the last day of grade 11, our history teacher made us go in and we randomly picked out a question that they had written for us. This was because they said in previous years people would make questions that weren't according to IB, and they told the students to change them but they didn't..so then they ended up doing really bad on their IA.

Afterwards, we were supposed to work on it over the summer, and it was due in December. They gave us info packages on the format and such, and made us hand in planning sheets from sept-nov, but other than that it was up to us to research/work on it.

• 1 month later...

our teacher was actually really organised.

he gave us a plan of the investigation, which told us the sections, what should be in them and how long they should be.

We were left on our own to come up with a topic however, but we ran them by him before stating the investigation.

our teacher was actually really organised.

he gave us a plan of the investigation, which told us the sections, what should be in them and how long they should be.

We were left on our own to come up with a topic however, but we ran them by him before stating the investigation.

Wow! You are lucky to have a helpful teacher! I don't really have any of those, and from the seniors I have heard that the HOA teacher just gives out the criteria and says "good luck".

Unfortunately we only have 1 HOA teacher, and our school doesn't offer SL History. So, we just have to figure things out on our own, which I'm hoping will help in the long run? We'll see... :)

My entire IB class is stressing out since our History teacher is giving out three weeks to complete our IA. :coffee: but its not due all in one chunk, which I could handle since I have time to do it on the weekend, but a section is due every class period. She made us pick a topic relating to the cold war, and it is a quite broad area, but since it is a large part of History of the Americas, she wants us to get a head start. She also handed us a packet with directions of what should be in each part and two sample IA's with their marks.

We can choose any topic we want for our IAs, but our teacher recommended that we write about something related to the syllabus, since we will gain some extra knowledge about the things we've studied.

Btw, how long time do you have to finish it? We have three weeks until the first draft is due - is that normal?

We chose our own topics, and he gave us a long time to work on them. We got all of our summer vacation. We did our own research, and he helped us chose topics we liked which also fit the criteria for IB. He is probably my favorite IB teacher this year.

Guest Kittykat

We had to derive our topics completely on our own. Then the teacher gave us advice on its feasibility. It was still pretty bad though, lots of students had really broad topics that ended up overloading them.

• 4 weeks later...
My teacher basically handed us a list of thirty-two topics, with 2 books/journal articles that offer contrasting views for each topic, and we were to choose one of the 32 topics and use those 2 sources.

Purely out of curiosity, I was wondering if this was common practice, or did other teachers do it differently? (:

my teacher did the same.

i guess we got lucky :)

About the first week into the second term (errr...February?), our teacher gave us a handout outlining what you need in the Historical Investigation. She also gave us three example papers, and gave us some broad topics to choose from, and deadlines to hand her the thesis and outline of the HIs. At the deadline she looks over the outlines, gives us some recommendations, and then we're on our own from there!

I should probably point out that we did a "practice" HI in gr11. During the practice one we made 4 detailed outlines (different deadlines for each) with quotations from our sources. The teacher looked over each of them and then made improvements...We were really well prepared!

at the beginning of ib1 our teacher gave us a huge explanation on it (i.e. what youre expected to do, criteria, etc) and then gave us a couple of examples. then he said we had to choose our own topic and do everything. since my school actually requires some sort of partial projects and final project for evaluation, each semester we have for history our 3 partial projects, which are some sort of drafts for the investigation, and for the final project we hand in the investigation. hence, we have to do a ninvestigation EACH SEMESTER ! so far, as i just finished ib1, we've all got 2 investigations, i guess we'll do another one for next semester and so on *hoping i'm wrong*. I hate the fact that my school makes ib even more demanding. i mean, we only need one investigation (i got 18 for one and 19 for the other so far, so i would think i'm done with that), two tasks for maths (so far we've done 3 and none of them will be taken into consideration because of my teacher who gave us tasks from past evaluation-periods and not the 2009-10 tasks), one tok essay and presentation (we do one per PARTIAL, that means i've done about 6 tok essays and presentations), two written tasks for english a2 (we do a literary and a cultural one each semester), and soooo onnnn......