How are History IAs assigned at your school?

Agneisse

my teacher basically started talking about this huge paper that we need to write within our 2 years in high level. he explained it to us and and said to pick a topic that was interesting to us, but to also pick a topic that may help us on the exams. so we could pick any topic we wanted that was outside the United States. my paper is about how Leon Trotsky should have taken power after Lenin died, instead of Stalin.

Wow really?

you were restricted to 32 topics??

well, our teacher gave us a booklet which basically gave us possible approaches to the investigation, and one IA example

Then we were given around five days to come up with a topic and a question

then went on with part A, B, C...etc with deadlines for each (which no one followed =p).

So overall we had around six weeks to do the whole thing, including handing in a first draft and a final draft.

For me, it was rather straight forward and very easy, as the parts A, B, C... were so clearly distinguished you don't have to worry at all. All i needed was to find enough sources (I had 11) and then put them together. I didn't even exactly use one of my supposedly 'main' source much (it was a movie) but I managed to get a 19/20, lost the mark in Analysis.

Just follow a past IA example and keep to the structure :)

• 1 month later...
My teacher basically handed us a list of thirty-two topics, with 2 books/journal articles that offer contrasting views for each topic, and we were to choose one of the 32 topics and use those 2 sources.

Purely out of curiosity, I was wondering if this was common practice, or did other teachers do it differently? (:

Can you upload the list of these topics? I need a jumpstart!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
My teacher basically handed us a list of thirty-two topics, with 2 books/journal articles that offer contrasting views for each topic, and we were to choose one of the 32 topics and use those 2 sources.

Purely out of curiosity, I was wondering if this was common practice, or did other teachers do it differently? (:

That is so lucky. My teacher didn't even tell us about it until October of this year and basically just said 'do it.'

If there were any topics about Stalin in particular. About his rise or the 5-year plans. Could you fill me in on the sources?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...