Share a short greeting in your own language!

ecieee

Share a short greeting that we can use when we meet people from other countries!

I'm Korean so I'll share a short greeting that is commonly used in Korea

안녕하세요 pronounced ahn nyeong ha seh yo meaning Hello (polite/formal version)

which can be shortened to 안녕 (ahn nyeong) when used informally

만나서 반갑습니다 pronounced man na suh ban gap sup ni da meaning nice to meet you (formal version)

which can be shortened to 만나서 반가워 (pronounced man na suh ban ga woh) (informal version to a friend)

Edited by ecieee
  • Like 2

Im Indian :D

so the universal one is:

Namaste (said with joint hands)

But the one i use everyday with my parents and family (Because im Gujarati) is:

Jai Shri Krishna (also said with joint hands..and touch the feel of old people)

Well thats what i've been taught..the kids in my family have to have good "sanskaar" (moral values)...so i like to think that we really do respect our elders with what they deserve=)

Cantonese: lay ho mah-formal greeting (not very "translate-able" , translates directly to "you're good") -more of a "how are you"

"wai" -what you say on the phone when you pick up

"WAIII" -what you say to call you friends Informal

I don't think there is a proper way to say hello

Im Indian :D

so the universal one is:

Namaste (said with joint hands)

So am I.

and its written as नमस्ते .

But in my daily boarding school life, my schoolmates go "Sup B***h?" .

Share a short greeting that we can use when we meet people from other countries!

만나서 반갑습니다 pronounced man na suh ban gap sup ni da meaning nice to meet you (formal version)

which can be shortened to 만나서 반가워 (pronounced man na suh ban ga woh) (informal version to a friend)

hehe..ahn nyeong can also be goodbye? haha F.T. Islands Hello Hello :blush: I really want to learn Korean! :D So i can understand bands like ss501, cnblue, super junior..without reading the translations :P oh and understanding the series and all :wub:

Well i'm really Goan but i lived in Tanzania my whole life

Shikamo - is hello but you say it to elderly people

Mambo - for younger people or friends or people you never met on the street (friendly people). Also means hello

una endelea vizuri? - means are doing okay? or how are you.

kwa heri - means bye

:)

hehe..ahn nyeong can also be goodbye? haha F.T. Islands Hello Hello :blush: I really want to learn Korean! :D So i can understand bands like ss501, cnblue, super junior..without reading the translations :P oh and understanding the series and all :wub:

Wahaa surely I can help you if you want some tutorial? haha I'm fluent in Korean (I only started speaking English 4 years ago?) so if you need help with anything PM me! Translations for some Kpop songs are quite wrong - and bad! Nice to meet you Kpop listener angel.png

Russian here ^_^

привет --> This is like 'hey' or hi' and is pronounced "pri-vet"

Здравствуйте --> This is more formal and is pronounced "zdra-stvuy-te"

:)

And you expect us to be able to pronounce that chikky? >. <

the second one = OMGbawling.gif

Wahaa surely I can help you if you want some tutorial? haha I'm fluent in Korean (I only started speaking English 4 years ago?) so if you need help with anything PM me! Translations for some Kpop songs are quite wrong - and bad! Nice to meet you Kpop listener angel.png

Haha yes please :) oh really? thats great :) khamsahamnida (don't know if its spelt like that :P) i know, sometimes the translations make me sad cause their wrong. Nice to meet you too fellow k-pop listener but seeing as you're korean ofcourse you're a k-pop listener :)

I'm Indian (for the most part):

Namaste --> Hello (with joined hands)

Kaise ho? (pronounced keh-say ho) --> How are you? (informal)

Kya haal-chaal hai? --> How are you? (casual formal)

Sub theek hai? (the 'th' has a hard 't' like tomato and the 'h' is very soft but not silent) --> Everything alright? (based on tone, can be very informal for friends, or casual formal)

Aapse milkur khushi hui. (pronounced 'mill-kur,' 'khuh-shee,' and 'who-ee') --> Its nice to meet you (very formal, for strangers at social occasions)

Sindis (Mum's family) sometimes start with:

Kedho haal aa? (pronounced: Kay-doh the 'doh' with a slight 'n' sound, haal with emphasis on the 'aa') --> How are you? (casual formal)

Sub kheriyat sa aa? (pronounced 'kheh-ree-yut' with a softer 't') --> Everything alright? (again based on tone, can be informal to formal)

Edited by Arrowhead

I'm Lithuanian (the words below are pronounced just as written):

Labas/sveikas --> Hello (for friends only)

Laba diena --> good afternoon (more formal)

Kaip sekasi --> how are you

Ačiū --> thank you

Atsiprašau --> I'm sorry

Krepšinis --> basketball (it's one of the most commonly used words in Lithuania these days!)

Hmm... I'm basically a Malaysian...and Malaysia is a multi-cultural country.

So, basically we greet each other using mixed language (not a language, not recognised by any specifically) LOL..

Thus, it is random and none of it is entirely right (they are not a language at all),

...but none is wrong as well (as it is <rojak>--a dish of mixed fruits and sauce)

Something in Polish:

Dzień dobry - good morning/afternoon, rather formal

Cześć - Hi, Hello, informal, used among friends, but not so often

Siema/Siemasz - What's up. informal, most often used among young people

Jak się masz - How are you, semi-formal, rarely used

Witaj - Greetings/Welcome, used to be formal, but now often heard among young people

Do widzenia - Bye, formal

Narazie - see you, informal, most common

Trzymaj się - take care, informal

I don't dare to write the pronounciation of any of these, because I don't even know the signs that could represent some of the sounds... it would be better to hear it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Tunisian Arab here. :)

-عسلامة: Used as hello, means 'Glad I met you in good shape'

- بسلامة : Used as goodbye, means 'May you go with peace'

-لباس؟ : Used as How are you, means 'No harm'

Can't think of more, because we normally use french phrases like "Ca va?". Either that or classic arabic like 'Salamu Alaikum'.:)