Physics EE topic suitable?

sleepisover

Im doing my EE in physics and ill be investigating the effect of temperature on the bounce height of a squash ball on different surfaces. (ill be comparing the change of bounce height due to temeoperature on different surfaces of a squash court to identify which would suffer the biggest change in bounce)

What does everyone think?

Why Don't you do it on Coefficient of Restitution.... Read more about it....

You will find similar to yours, better and much easier to do...

For example How does the bouncing surface affect the Coefficient of the a ping pong ball?

You can use different surfaces. Like table (wood) different metals and in the floor. Maybe a concrete.

Or you find. How does the Coefficient of Restitution by the change of the material, size anything you can think of?

Good Luck! I proposed this to my advisor he said it can be an EE topic... but I've done mine in Arabic, much easier...

Yours is fine, and it is a part of what I am talking about, But as Desy said its harder to keep the temperature constant

Edited by MR.AHM

Thanks for the replies!

Keeping the temperature contsant could be talked about in the evaluation although i know that it is extremely hard to even aceive a good temperature. And how about making it, how does changing the ball temperature affect the coefficient of restitution on different surfaces?(loosely phrased) Application could be related to ingame strategy and playing on certain walls more as the ball heats up.

I'll be changing the ball temperature and checking how it affects the rebound height (Coefficient of restitution), dependent is CoR and independent is temperature, but then ill repeat that expirement with different types of squash balls (they have different rubber compositions allowing them to bounce differently) and compare these relations (for example the blue dot ball had the largest increase in rebound height per degrees celcius than the others)

I'll be changing the ball temperature and checking how it affects the rebound height (Coefficient of restitution), dependent is CoR and independent is temperature, but then ill repeat that expirement with different types of squash balls (they have different rubber compositions allowing them to bounce differently) and compare these relations (for example the blue dot ball had the largest increase in rebound height per degrees celcius than the others)

Thats much better...

However, I think there is one problem which how are you going to change the temperature of the balls... Maybe you put one in the fridge for 10 min or something like that and become cooler... Or put it in water and then heat it...

The second part is the best and that where your evaluation will be...

Nice Idea :)

Wow, you just gave me a huge amount of hope! I will heat the ball in water, then use a surface temeperature meter to measure the temeperature of the outside of the ball :D (my supervisor also likes it but is afraid that anaylsing polymer and rubber reactions to temperature is abit chemistry)

But yet, You will have to make a lot of assumption if you used the water method of heating...that the energy is all absorbed by the ball

But i found something about this... where they mentioned Sad Balls and Happy Balls, but I'm busy to look for more details about it right now... However, this is the link and I prefer you continue with it... and if you are hindered, don't hesitate to ask us !!! :)

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/outreach/8thGradeSOL/EffectofTemperature.htm

Well, you are not analysing the polymer and rubber substance.. You are comparing the CoR

Edited by MR.AHM
  • Like 1

ur topic sounds fine, but the problem is there are always lab reports related to the bouncing of a ball and different surfaces. its good that u have specified temperature as an independednt variable, but as Desy Glau stated, keeping temperature constant would be difficult. and u could the significance of temperature in the evaluation like anyone would normally for experiments related to thermal physics.

i hope u are aware that EE's in physics are often strictly marked on average, its C for an essay. i wanted to do one about the effect of colored light on the output of solar panels but my supervisor was not motivative at all! so good luck

ur topic sounds fine, but the problem is there are always lab reports related to the bouncing of a ball and different surfaces. its good that u have specified temperature as an independednt variable, but as Desy Glau stated, keeping temperature constant would be difficult. and u could the significance of temperature in the evaluation like anyone would normally for experiments related to thermal physics.

i hope u are aware that EE's in physics are often strictly marked on average, its C for an essay. i wanted to do one about the effect of colored light on the output of solar panels but my supervisor was not motivative at all! so good luck

If you look down... He changed the topic...

and I swear I proposed the first one to my supervisor about the solar panels. And we discussed this regarding the planks relation and stuff but it turned out the you are studying it in the syllabus.. So you can't do it as an EE... maybe for bio.. growing plant at different light frequencies...

However, if you want a topic on Solar panels. I have an idea if you want... Really simple and my supervisor approved it :yes:

• Like 2

If you look down... He changed the topic...

and I swear I proposed the first one to my supervisor about the solar panels. And we discussed this regarding the planks relation and stuff but it turned out the you are studying it in the syllabus.. So you can't do it as an EE... maybe for bio.. growing plant at different light frequencies...

However, if you want a topic on Solar panels. I have an idea if you want... Really simple and my supervisor approved it :yes:

Oh yea! my bad! he did change! haha! even u did? i wanted to do it related to solar water heater.so what's the other topic that you are doing on solar panels? kinda eager to know. dats it!

are you doing that topic?

No, it is about resistance of the loads and solar panels output regarding different angles of the sun

I finished mine in Arabic (first language)... because there was no teacher to motivate me doing it in physics and everyone is saying that you won't do well on it and I said I will do it Arabic, but it was a relief

Wow, the link you posted Mr. AHM sounds exactly like what i was gonna do (in the sense of variables and idea) although my expirementation and depth that which ill analyze each of the controlled variables and stuff. Thanks !! :D I still cant believe that you didnt do it in physics, are you planning on majoring in engineering? (if yes, a friend of mine told me that colleges like to see Physics EE's for engineers.

that topic sounds good. and i was in the same situation here, TOTAL DISCOURAGEMENT by the supervisor! :(

so i went ahead and started my EE in ITGS about FAcebook, so far 3000 something words, but i might go overword for my 1st draft. So i don't think i might change after that.

hey if you don;t mind could you plesa fill the questionnaire that i designed for my survey for my EE? link's below.

thnaks.

Extended Essay Survey

Edited by Saig

I can do it in physics and finish it in three day or less because I did the experiments and got the result... The CoR was on my mind, but didn't want to do it...

However, my chances of getting an A in a language are much more than physics... I will speak to my teacher though... I will think to do it as an external experiment.. Which I did in my own... Something like that and tell the uni that I did an experiment on physics...

Whats was the topic that you expiremented on?

P.S And about keeping the temperature constant, i wont have to because the temeperature change in the drop would be the same at all temperatures, so it will be more of a case of initial temperature than temperature at impact)

Edited by sleepisover

that topic sounds good. and i was in the same situation here, TOTAL DISCOURAGEMENT by the supervisor! :(

so i went ahead and started my EE in ITGS about FAcebook, so far 3000 something words, but i might go overword for my 1st draft. So i don't think i might change after that.

hey if you don;t mind could you plesa fill the questionnaire that i designed for my survey for my EE? link's below.

thnaks.

Extended Essay Survey

you should post it as a new post in the EE forum