ib students recognition

MeowMix

how do your schools show recognition to ib people?

my school is really bad at recognizing ib. we have may fete which is supposed to honor people for outstanding academic achievement. the only problem is that they recognize the leadership kids. ib students get completely ignored because our g.p.a.s are shot. My school doesnt weight our grades so we dont meet the gpa requirements. its really sad. my french teacher had to fight tooth and nail to get the full ib kids that are graduating this year recognized in a school assembly.

so pretty much my school ignores us and honors the athletes and leadership people.

Our school places IB students, as they should be, above all other graduating students. We do a lot of work, so why shouldn't we be recognised? That and all the teachers in our school know how demanding it is. I'm sure that all teachers in your high school would not know IB to that extent?

all the ib teachers know how hard it is but our administration doesnt. our principal is condensing the pre-ib classes with the regular classes to where they meet in the middle which is a really stupid idea since when i finally started my ib classes was a huge wake up call because i wasnt prepared at all. my school just isnt really prepared for it. the program has been around for a while but its underestimated. which is sad seeing as the program is great flawed but really worth all the torture

We get translated science (bio, chem, physics) and english marks on our report cards because our teachers know that we need to get in uni and although a untranslated english HL mark of 73 is a level 6, it'll lower our admission average and we won't be able to get in. So instead, our english marks are translated and that's the only reason why I have an admission average of over 90%.

We also get a special IB retreat once a year, and we have a IB ceremony in October where we all come back from uni and have a little reunion party :P .

I my school it's more like an exclusive club type thing. Those of us that are in it know all about it and how hard it is, but if you ask someone not in IB it's a good chance that they'll say 'what's IB'. :P The administration pretty much ignores us, we don't have any grand get togethers or anything (our classes are weighted, which is good). But special recognition is only among ourselves (not even our most of our teachers who treat us like regular students some of the time).

We have an Academic Awards Ceremony at the end of the year where each IB2 Diploma candidate goes up to the stage, hugs his/her advisor, and gets an IB Medal while someone goes "[name of candidate], who wrote his/her Extended Essay in [topic area] with [advisor name]", and there's a List of Diploma Candidates hanging outside the Guidance Office. Obviously most Honour Roll students are also Diploma candidates. However, given the proliferation of filler subjects like Business Studies (which is a joke at my school), Math Studies and ab intio languages (as opposed to Math SL/Language B SL) at my school, the value of the Diploma among peers isn't very high and no one worships you for doing the Diploma.

Thus, when one is fawning over an intellectual superior, one would go "look, that's a kid who's in HL Math!", as opposed to, "oh, that's an IB Diploma candidate!" :P

Edited by Agneisse

Sorry guys but it seems like some of you are being a bit snobby especially if your schools are like mine. Who cares if you don't get honoured by the school with a awards and crap. That stuff means nothing after school, whereas the reward you should get for doing IB is your score which does mean something after school. I know as evidenced by my friend who was the shared dux of my school, our awards at school are distinctions and prizes (you get money for prizes), well plenty of people got distinctions and prizes, but my friend she did get one, and guess what she was dux and got into the most difficult course to get into in Australia. So I am sure she would rather get into her course that get a piece of paper or a few dollars.

Anyway there are plenty of smart people who don't do IB at my school. Plus why should the school look up to you, are you doing well for yourself. I think some of you should get over yourselves abit.