What's the point of TOK presentation?

ffaholic

The point of the presentation is to 'present' (duh) the TOK issues within your topic. You don't have to 'prove' anything, but you just tell your audience about the TOk-ness (so to speak) of your topic, such as the problems of knowledge that exist in your topic, the AOK and WOK that are involved when you consider the topic. That's why so many TOK presentations are about ethics or a discussion of things like rights and morals, things that usually have a large difference of opinion on - you have to discuss what WOK and POK you have to consider to come to an unbiased (as much as possible) and sensible conclusion about the matter. For example, I did the ethics of stem cell transplant (well it was a little more complicated than jsut that but general idea is that) - talked about the history of the technology (how it developed), before moving on to the things that affect our perception of it - such as the point of view of the person looking at the technology and the emotions involved, how that affect how they see it. you don't necessarily have to take a stand on your presentation, in fact, you should provide both sides of the argument, to help your audience form a rational conclusion on the matter

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Heylo there!

I am an IB 2 student and will soon have my TOK presentation however, I do not understand what I am supposed to do.

I know I have to find a real life situation and then have links and such but what are links? ..

My real life situation is about Insanity Defense and then I'm going to present cases which might have abused this authority and some where the jury has neglected the psychotic state of a defendant.

Now, I'm stuck and don't know what to do. So can anyone please help me?

Has your school not made you do practice presentations before? That's a shame, we have done 3 so far and will do about 3 more to prepare us.

Basically, your presentation needs to address problems of knowledge in whatever your contemporary issue is. Also, you should choose a few Areas of Knowledge (maybe for you, Science, Ethics, History) and relate your issue to problems of knowledge involved in each area. You should also talk about how the Ways of Knowing relate to your issue, but only choose relevant ones. Don't try to relate sense perception if it won't fit in well.

Has your school not made you do practice presentations before? That's a shame, we have done 3 so far and will do about 3 more to prepare us.

Basically, your presentation needs to address problems of knowledge in whatever your contemporary issue is. Also, you should choose a few Areas of Knowledge (maybe for you, Science, Ethics, History) and relate your issue to problems of knowledge involved in each area. You should also talk about how the Ways of Knowing relate to your issue, but only choose relevant ones. Don't try to relate sense perception if it won't fit in well.

Practice presentations? O.O

Our teacher just gave us the criteria and an extemely short "lecture" on how it should look like and that was it.

I understand a little more about relating to Areas of Knowledge but when you say "how the Ways of Knowing relate to your issue.." do you mean how the Areas of Knowledge I chose relate to my issue?

Practice presentations? O.O

Our teacher just gave us the criteria and an extemely short "lecture" on how it should look like and that was it.

I understand a little more about relating to Areas of Knowledge but when you say "how the Ways of Knowing relate to your issue.." do you mean how the Areas of Knowledge I chose relate to my issue?

Well no, areas of knowledge and ways of knowing are different. Let's say you are having a presentation on a case study of gay adoption. You can easily talk about how the meaning of family changed throughout the years (language) and why people are against gay adoption because it "doesn't feel right" (emotion). Most of the time not all the ways of knowing have a huge role in your presentation but some do.

More specifically, I think it's 30/70 between the two. Means if you get an A on your presentation and a C on your essay, it'll be a B. So it's worth putting effort to.

The entire ToK component is out of 60, with the essay valued at 40 and the essay worth 20. So a 2/3 and a 1/3 relationship, but yeah with rounding 30/70.

Well no, areas of knowledge and ways of knowing are different. Let's say you are having a presentation on a case study of gay adoption. You can easily talk about how the meaning of family changed throughout the years (language) and why people are against gay adoption because it "doesn't feel right" (emotion). Most of the time not all the ways of knowing have a huge role in your presentation but some do.

Thanks, I understand pretty much what the difference is. I have already structured my presentation and now I just have to fill in the blanks.