What is the difference between HL, SL, Studies? Which to take?

Guest El_Nano

For all you Americans and possible future American students who are familiar with the SAT2s, I'm trying to decide between Math SL and Studies, but I can't figure out which would best prepare me for the SAT. I would prefer to take the SAT2 for Math Level 2, simply because I've been told Math 1 is a joke to take and that the curve is less generous than Math 2, but I'm not sure which better helps. I'm in Math SL now and it seems simple, but I know next year it will get more difficult.

SAT2 for math is pretty basic. You can find the topics it covers on Sparknotes.com. I learned the math I needed for in before I started IB, in Algebra 2 with Trig, if your school has a course like that. I wouldn't make your decision of Studies SL versus Methods SL based on SAT2s. I'm not sure what Studies covers, but I imagine that you would learn most of it in there because the Math SAT Subject Test isn't really specialized or advanced.

basically its just that math HL is more fun though it has more portion to complete (about 35% more than SL does)....SL does every module like HL except a few maybe but in every module SL has little portions cut-off.....If u dont mind math and u dont hate it a lot and can work hard every day or atleast 4 hrs a week, i guess then u can tackle math HL....oh and if u dont understand aanything then YOUTUBE is great for tutorials and many other sites too.....i guess u should take math HL as it will give a great deal of wieghtage in ur uni apps :)

Guest IMBATMAN

Im doing IB and I just asked my brother about math classes (he is IB diploma graduate) and he said that Math HL was so hard it caused him to go to bed around 2:30 AM every night and it basically made him have no life? This is freaking me out because my brother is a genius and now attends UCLA and if he thought it was hard, will it be impossible for me??? HELP ME!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please :)

I'm half way through my diploma and doing HL maths and I personally don't find it that hard. It is more work than other high level subjects but if you are good at maths, it isn't impossible. My teacher says I'm a 6/7 and I promise you I don't stay up to 2:30 in the morning. Though I would say only do it if you truly love maths, like I said it is a bit of work and having motivation to do helps a lot.

Alright so after 4 months in Hl math I will be VERY frank.

Its tough.

Its bloody tough and you're going to have to get used to it.

By far the most important thing is to CONCENTRATE in class. If you can keep up with the teacher then you will have no problem. I am in a boarding school so I have the advantage of asking my one year seniors for help whenever I need it.

Revising old concepts is very important and life should smoothen out by the end of the first year. You don't need to be a genius to be in this class. Effort is the only thing required.

NO, thats the biggest myth.

Math HL is not hard, if youre a math person and you love maths. If youre not a math person even Math SL would seem hard.

BUt Math HL does need a lot of work, as the syllabus is VAST.

Basically if you want a 7 in MATH HL, Take time to Study 1 hour of math EVERYDAY.

ANd youll do fine.

I'm in my 2nd year of IB .

I am a maths person for sure, and i'm finding it quite tough, not impossible though, especially if you're willing to put in the work. If you get joy out of finishing a complicated maths problem, that euphoric feeling of accomplishment, then, and only then do Maths HL. If not, you will find it extremely challenging. Only two people in my class are passing right now, me with an average of 93% and another girl with an average of approximately 60-70(going off her assignment score). Everyone else is failing, quite badly at that.

So yeah, if you do love maths, go for it. If not, you're better off doing SL.

MAth HL is a waste of time if you don't LOVE it or if you don't need it for Uni. It's an amazing subject with an incredible uniqueness to it but some people get more out of History for instance because it is more applicable to every day life. I did HL math up until now so for 1 year and I enjoyed it but I didn't want to jeopardise my uni entry because of it. I was told I could get a 6 or even a 4 it depends. If you do easy subjects then Math HL is not that bad as you can prioritise it.

Tip:

Study one hour everyday for math hl, ,my teacher always says that to us during class. It's all about commitment. And i agree that we need to revise what ever topics that we have learnt for everyday especially math so that the facts will stay in our long term memory

Edited by Mahuta ♥
DO not use capital letters throughout the sentence please :)- Maha

HL Maths is tough,i've only been doing it for a month or so and I am struggling. I personally think if you enjoy math and really want to base your life and work in mathematics, only then should you do it. My brother took it and said that you need to put extra hours of work into it but you shouldnt focus all your time on it because then all your other subjects will suffer.

I agree with most people here. If you like math and have the determination, you can achieve a good grade. I regret taking Math HL actually; my parents thought it would be a shame for me NOT to do Math HL so I did it even though I never really enjoyed math. I'm being predicted a 5. So far there are no predicted 7s in my class and only 2 people are being predicted a 6.

My teacher said something about your final grade in Math HL being 80% effort, 20% innate ability. There are people in my class who spend hours every day doing math but aren't able to break into level 6/7 territory.

Yeah, there is this friend of mine who has always been the best student in class and has won some awards in my school. However she only scored an A for Add Math in IGCSE last year. She actually wanted to take Math HL bcos she wanted to be challenged. Then, on the first day, there were 4 students (out of 23) in HL class (actually one was absent) including us two. The teacher scared us by saying that if we dun need Math HL for uni, dont take HL. She talked about the amount of work and IA and stuff. She also said that last year there were a number of students taking HL and some of them dropped to SL bcos they cant cope with it. This scared my smart friend and on the first day she decided to move to SL class haha. But I am not here to scare you. She actually moved to SL because it's too much, and also because she wants to do medicine in uni and she thinks she doesnt necessarily have to do math HL for med.Btw maybe ur brother didnt really seriously say that to you. Enjoy it. Dont scare yourself. I dont really stay up until around 2 (or maybe havent?) and I find math interesting and enjoyable (bcos of the classmates&tcher too :))If you find it very challenging, ask your teacher for extra tutorials lar. And believe me if you have been good at math, math HL shouldnt kill you. You just need to enjoy it, and work hard. Ok.

So, its 2:00 am, and I´m working in my Math HL portfolio...I am one step from going mad, as I can´t figure out what to do.

I am in my senior IB year, and I honetly can't wait for the end of May...(when exams are over, as IB, once and for all...)

I think Math HL was worth it, however I get the feeling that not even 60% of what you see will ever be useful.

If you enjoy math go for it, else, don't even think about it. My class started with over 30 students, by now, we remain 15...

Its a challenge, but one you won't regret taking...I hope...

Now, its time for me to continue working on this thing...

• kw0573 locked this topic