What is the difference between HL, SL, Studies? Which to take?

Guest El_Nano

@Costello so in your school, Math HL and SL classes are combined? I think, that should not happen because the HL students would need more periods and the materials are much more (almost twice the SL's). even that in my school the classes are back to back, math HL will have some extra lessons on Saturdays. talk to the Head of Math Department in your school (if you have one) (and if you want to), the classes should be separated. in fact, my school only has small IB classes, and there are not so many teachers to separate HL and SL classes for each subject, so for all subjects except MATH, the classes are combined, just there will be some free periods for SL students when the teacher is only teaching HL materials. but for Math, we separate. otherwise the HL students will be very bored waiting for the SL to finish one topic while they have so much more to finish. but if your school doesnt change it, the HL students do need to study by themselves.

The only thing I can advice for Math HL is to take your time with it. Give this subject a suitable amount of time to study and to revise the days' work. Try to ALWAYS concentrate on this subject and not leave it behind because of other projects or work because if you lose track, you are gonna struggle (speaking from experience). As a personal hint, always try to work with past papers and exercises from the textbook. Trust me, they work like a charm and will help you gain good marks in any test or final. Knowing and learning to apply the techniques is an integral part of Maths.

BTW I am a IB Graduate from May 2010 and best wishes to all taking this subject =) Don't be scared of the subject, if you develop the will to do well then you'll succeed. Concentrate and focus and take your time with it and things won't seem hard at all.

Oh and watch out for those portfolios. You MUST try to get a very good mark as they do help you a lot in terms of your final grade.

Good luck =)

Math HL shouldn't be underestimated.. It is tough, very very tough and demands a lot of work. But it ultimately depends on your dedication. If you practice everything and start early with it, it won't be too much trouble. I wouldn't expect a 7 though, unless you are a genius.. but besides that it's ok, if you work hard.

To me Maths SL is always the better choice, it comes between St and HL, which is good.

I wasn't sure if I needed Math HL for Med school (dont be surprised some unis expect that) so I went for SL, it balances your maths I think, because it takes from both HL and St without going into details you don't need.

I just saw a teacher telling a junior of mine who will start IBDP next year and wants to study Business in University. My teacher said that he should take at least Math SL. Math HL is more preferable but if you can't make it, Math SL should be acceptable.

But anyways, it depends. Different universities might have different prerequisites, so it would be much safer if you check with the uni that you want to go to. You could probably visit their website and see the requirements. However Math SL would be more prefered than Math Studies, I think.

take SL. Not HL , HL is not good unless your a good Mathematician , which you've stated your not. If your REALLY bad then i guess take Studies , but I wouldn't recommend it. Plus i also say take Economics rather than business, because most Uni's feel Business is a crap subject and don't really take it seriously. =\ Just my opionion :punish:

Currently I'm a pre-IB student but I already think what subjects to take in my IB cause they want you to get particular grades to get into IB class. And I'm thinking about studying law (my first choice), criminology or primary teaching (education) and I wonder if I have to take Maths SL or if Studies is be enough. I don't really have problems with maths, but I'd prefer to focus more on other subjects. In addition to that, teacher that teaches SL is actually not the best I could imagine and Studies is taught by a different teacher. So, what do you think?

Apparently you can get that information from the UCAS website, I tried looking for it but I have to register or something to get that information. Since you're interest, here's the site:

UCAS

Left hand side column is your guide. :blink:

However I will mention that almost all my friends who got into good business schools in England were in my Math SL class. But make sure just in case. :)

I agree with most of the people here. Math HL takes a lot of practice as it is tough.

But don't worry the part where you have to stay up until 2.30am is not true. :)

Lol, we often need to stay up until 2.30 am for other subjects too. Even if not for subject studying, for IAs, World lit and most importantly EE! I pulled and all nighter for my EE even though I started it very early.

Staying up late seems like a compulsary part of IB. :blink:

To reply about Math HL:

Look, if you definately do need math HL for whatever you're applying to, then it doesn't matter if it's hard, really hard or easy, you need to do it anyways. Plus, if you're going to do something that requires Math HL, and yuo think you'll find Math HL very hard, then you will definately find the courses you're applying too hard. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently taking math HL (as a junior) and I'm kind of failing it.. should I drop to SL, or keep on going??

Do you feel the need to take Math HL, as a prerequisite for the course that you want to study in university? If you do not need it, just drop to SL and then you'll have a greater chance of getting a 7. If you are (kind of) failing it, you would probably just get a 5 or 6 with HL, and the total IB points is sometimes more important than your subject levels.

But you need to have 3 HL and 3 SL if you want a diploma, so you should also think what subject you can take as a third HL.

• Like 2

The only reason I had to stay up to 1am was the portfolio which was given to us a week before deadline but I (and the rest of my class actually) did the night before. So no, you won't have to study 1000hrs to get it, just like 5hrs a week. Not to discourage you or anything but revision won't really help you if you don't LOVE math. My best advise would be: Join Math HL if instead of being worried about math exams/tests, you're psyched XD Without this determination, you'll struggle to achieve a 6/7. anyway, I'll probably give you better advise January when my results are back :)

Fml.

I ****ing hate my IB math sl teacher, he sings in the middle of class and takes at least 40 minutes trying to figure out how to do a problem rather than teaching us.

And I suck balls at math, it's ridiculous how bad I am. I have an F in the class, and I'm dropping out into a lower course.

But my only choices are Ib Math Studies and Pre-Calculus/Ib Math Studies Year 1

This is the only class that's killing my gpa like a *****

Edited by 2401 Tangents
don't avoid the swear filter

• 2 weeks later...

I think it really matter on what you want to study at University. You should be just fine with anything, even though Math HL really adds to your application for universities in Canada and the US in fields such as Engineering and sciences. Math Studies isn't always recognized at all universities, I know that for sciences at U of T Math Studies isn't recognized. This is because Math Studies is often easier than non-ib math classes! I know that Math Studies is an easier class than Math 12 in British Columbia, Canada.

• kw0573 locked this topic