What is the difference between HL, SL, Studies? Which to take?

Guest El_Nano

Ok. For HL, it is almost one of the most difficult math exams in the world. It is similar to the HKAL mathematics exam, but not quite as hard I think when the HKAL mathematics exam is being regarded as the most difficult math exam in the world. Therefore, if you want to score a 7, I suggest you go for Maths SL as it is obtainable. You should not take Studies, it is simply stupid.

Ok. For HL, it is almost one of the most difficult math exams in the world. It is similar to the HKAL mathematics exam, but not quite as hard I think when the HKAL mathematics exam is being regarded as the most difficult math exam in the world. Therefore, if you want to score a 7, I suggest you go for Maths SL as it is obtainable. You should not take Studies, it is simply stupid.

Indeed, math studies is rather stupid. We have yet to learn any new content...at all...in fact the first few chapters were on word problems and explained that if it said "What is the sum of apples" we were to actually add the apples...

Sadly our school only offers math studies or HL Math...wish I had a middle ground that was easyish since I don't particularly enjoy math with only numbers, but something a little more complicated than algebra1...

I am taking Math SL (Mathematical Methods or something like that), and it isn't too difficult. It is different for everyone though. Unless you need a very high level of math for college, I suggest basing your decision on your skill level in math. I have been one year ahead of most people at my school in math since 8th grade, but I'm not the best at math, so that is how I ended up in Math SL. I have friends who have a difficult time with math that decided to take Math studies, and they are very happy with their choice because they say that they understand everything better. I don't know of anyone taking Math HL (because they don't offer it at my school), but I would think that it is designed for people with a high skill level in math. I would also keep in mind the IBO requirements for HL classes in order to receive the diploma (I'm not sure what exactly they are, but I think it may be that you cannot score lower than a 2 in the class). Good luck with whichever class you decide to take!

I am taking Math SL (Mathematical Methods or something like that), and it isn't too difficult. It is different for everyone though. Unless you need a very high level of math for college, I suggest basing your decision on your skill level in math. I have been one year ahead of most people at my school in math since 8th grade, but I'm not the best at math, so that is how I ended up in Math SL. I have friends who have a difficult time with math that decided to take Math studies, and they are very happy with their choice because they say that they understand everything better. I don't know of anyone taking Math HL (because they don't offer it at my school), but I would think that it is designed for people with a high skill level in math. I would also keep in mind the IBO requirements for HL classes in order to receive the diploma (I'm not sure what exactly they are, but I think it may be that you cannot score lower than a 2 in the class). Good luck with whichever class you decide to take!

You need at least 16 from your HLs if you are taking 3 HL courses. If you are taking 4, you need 20 points. That's at least a 4 in each HL course.

It's all relative to the individual. Some people will find Studies quite hard. I do math studies (well I've done my exams, so did) and it was fine, but in my class of 20, I'm pretty sure that 3 people are going to fail and the class average will be a 5. Why? I'd say that maybe 2 or 3 people actually find it challenging, even though they work in class, the rest just don't do any work, expecting to get a good grade, and realise that that was stupid and are going to do terribly.

So if you do studies, it should be easy if you just work in class and do your homework.

I started in Math SL and I dropped to studies at the end of first semester. Studies is MUCH easier than SL. Although SL semester one does cover quite a bit of the Studies course so I was ahead in some areas.

Studies is good if you know what you want to do at college. Look at prerequisites and your math ability to make the best decision about which math to take. Math studies has quite a bit of statistics in it - which i really enjoy, and it has basic differential calculus which is really quite easy, but the problem solving with calculus can be a bit tough at times.

Unfortunately, people seem to base intelligence purely off of math ability, which is stupid because people can be poor at math and still heaps more intelligent than the math nerds, just in other areas like humanities.

Don't call math studies a joke, cause it's not. If it's the appropriate math level for you, then you probably can't just easily get a 7. If you can easily get a 7 in studies (without trying), then maybe you should be in SL.

Edited by Matthew Sinclair
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am in dilemma between math studies and math sl. My trigonometry teacher for this year has recommended me i should do math studies which is based from my current test average, but i think i have the potential to take math sl, because math is my fave subjects and i can excel once i get the concept. I would just like to know the major differences between math studies & math sl.

Guest IMBATMAN

All I can tell you is that SL is more challenging and in my opinion demands more work than Studies. The decision is up to you but studies is usually for students who do not wish to major in something in the mathematics field and don't plan on using math in college. SL is for students who intend to go in to engineering or other math related careers. The decision is up to you but if you think you're not really a math person, I suggest taking Studies, but if you think you can take it than i recommend SL.

All I can tell you is that SL is more challenging and in my opinion demands more work than Studies. The decision is up to you but studies is usually for students who do not wish to major in something in the mathematics field and don't plan on using math in college. SL is for students who intend to go in to engineering or other math related careers. The decision is up to you but if you think you're not really a math person, I suggest taking Studies, but if you think you can take it than i recommend SL.

as a career, i want to take up medicine, which really isn't a math related career but i would also like to go to an ivy college & i believe they go more towards math sl . . .

as a career, i want to take up medicine, which really isn't a math related career but i would also like to go to an ivy college & i believe they go more towards math sl . . .

Medicine is defiantly a math related career. You will need to take many math courses in college to prepare for the MCAT, and then take additional ones in medical school. If you want to go into medicine and go to an Ivy League, then do Math SL.

Medicine is defiantly a math related career. You will need to take many math courses in college to prepare for the MCAT, and then take additional ones in medical school. If you want to go into medicine and go to an Ivy League, then do Math SL.

thanks for the clarification, now i just need to convince my assistant principal to move me to math sl

I am in dilemma between math studies and math sl. My trigonometry teacher for this year has recommended me i should do math studies which is based from my current test average, but i think i have the potential to take math sl, because math is my fave subjects and i can excel once i get the concept. I would just like to know the major differences between math studies & math sl.

hey ever since MYP i've sucked big time at math and in all three courses before DP i was pretty close to failing but against all odds, i took SL math and am now in the high 80's. I don't know if luck had anything to do with it so if you're persistent enough, definately go for SL :)

Teachers cannot decide for you based on your test results. I was an A* student in IGCSE and all teacher pushed me to do math HL, and I am so happy I didn't because I would have not been able to do it. Same goes for you, if teachers said you should take Studies, doesn't mean you can't take SL. Teachers can only predict, they are not well aware of your abilities.

In addition to all that, you want to do Medicine, Math Studies will take you nowhere, trust me. I am not doing medicine anywhere in that part of the world and still Math is very important to get accepted!

If you truly believe that once you put in all the effort you could come up with (necessary for med school), you can get good grades in Math and think you are capable of doing Math SL. Go for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in a dilemma . I aspire to be either in business administration , medicine or surgeory . I don't know what taking maths HL would do good for me . Is it a necessity to take maths HL ? If not , are there perks to taking it ? Should I drop to SL ? Its not that bad taking HL , its challenging and full of pace , it isn't all that bad ... but i don't want to be messing around with the toughest IB course , i m aiming for a 45 not a 42 ....

Pls help me guys :P

You seem to be unsure of the fact that you are 100% capable of doing Math HL.

I know people who got into Business in a UK university with Math SL. Same for medicine, in fact, I don't think you need HL to get into medicine.

So basically Math SL should should be accepted for both business and medicine, so I wouldn't risk taking Math HL and bringing my score down, especially if the university you're applying to cares a lot more about the overall score than it does about specific subjects.

Besides, you are taking Business HL, Biology HL and Chemistry SL, that is enough work load for you with the Math SL. You are still in IB1, so you do not realize yet that it may get tougher next year. Remember that Math HL is much harder than SL, so moving down to SL will reduce the work load you're going to have next year.

• Like 1

ok, Yes, Math HL is not SO hard, if you are good on math you will do well in Math HL, sometime you get some questions in tests that are like WTF !?!?!, but after some time on the course you come to understand.

Although if you are aiming for a 45 on ib i really don't recommend you taking HL, because there's a very high possibility that you don't get a 7.

This is what I suggest you to do (is what I did) and think is the best of all. talk with your school and ask them if they let you do the math HL course for a year and a half or more if you want, but take the diploma as SL. (Although you might not see 2 chapters behind the others by making this change, but it's not big deal really, if you are good on maths you will cath up easily)

With this you will be very prepared for math SL, and you won't lose the knowledge that choosing Math SL would make.

Math HL goes further the formula, in the problems you have to discover what you must do, in SL you get inmediately what you have to do, as common sense.

So HL makes you go further.

Good luck with your decission :P

• Like 1

In my opinion, you should take Math HL just in case. Maths are always required on everything, and its better safe that sorry. Bussiness Admination has A LOT of maths, and its better to cover up most possibilities than have important courses left SL. If you set your mind into Maths, you'll come to love it (I do now), and if you set days to study maths, everything will become easier and easier each time. Maths is really fun, they're just numbers, nothing to be afraid of. It's a challenge I've taken and if I can, BELIEVE ME, you can! ☁

I've seen several people saying that you shouldn't take Maths Studies, especially in the UK/for top UK universities in particular.

I think I'll probably be getting around a low A/high B in maths GCSE. I don't find maths amazingly challenging, but I just go to pieces in the exams. I also definitely don't want to do anything sciencey/maths based in university, I'm more of a humanities/language person, so based on that reasoning, I was planning on taking maths studies. However, lots of people think that you'll definitely get rejected if you have maths studies...to what extent is this true, even if you're never going to do something related to maths after IB?

• kw0573 locked this topic