What is the difference between HL, SL, Studies? Which to take?

Guest El_Nano

>.< I admit im one of the kids who was good at maths, good enough to do well at standard level but because of my friends telling me how hard IB was I took Math Studies so I would really only have '5 subjects', taking math studies is like having a study class, I learnt all the stuff and 9th Grade. Its kinda depressing because im not living up to my potential but its ok. At our school only the top take higher and most take standard, but when IB1 finishes it goes from Hl=5% SL= 70% Studies=25% to------------------->IB2 HL=5% SL 40% Studies= 55%.

Hope that helps.

If you cant differentiate x^2 then do math studies.

At my school, it's more like (we don't have Math Studies): HL: 35%, SL: 65% ------> IB2 -- HL:15%, 85%.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried math SL, and at my school SL and HL are in the same class. I've never been a good math student, and it was way over my head because I never took pre-calculus. It was really difficult for me, so I switched to pre-calculus and this year I'm taking IB Math Studies Yr 2. It's a lot easier for me, as I'm not a very competant math student :D

• 2 weeks later...

really? we only have math studies (which isn't even offered), SL and HL

basically if your a super genius at maths: HL

if your average and think you can handle it : SL

if maths isn't EXACTLY your best subject or your just lazy: studies

wouldn't recommend doing studies, alot of universities don't recognise maths studies just because...its studies.

and also what they did at my school is they made us do all SL in 1st year and now the HL'ers and learning HL...

i thought i was good at maths before i started IB but now i'm doing SL simply because i can't learn that much at that speed so it was to much for me.

really does vary on the individual...

• 3 weeks later...

If you only have one elective left, and you want to take math studies... DONT. Math studies alone is a really easy class that most colleges wont find useful on your resume. A better option would be to simply take a different SL class while you still can.

I think that the most important difference between HL and SL is that in HL you have to do two porthfolios, and in SL only one. In HL you will learn a little more than in SL but I think that this is not so important.

I'm guessing you're not taking HL so I'll be nice. In terms of difficulty, HL is farrrrrr above SL (this is both because more content is covered and questions are more complex). The HL Options are seriously the hardest ****ing thing I've come across, and if anything could deter you from taking HL, it'd be the Options.

You're also wrong. Both SL and HL have to do 2 portfolios worth 10% each: Type I Investigation and Type II Modelling.

Edit: Just saw that you are taking HL... haven't started the course yet maybe? ^_^

Edited by Irene

I'm doing IB in the same class as Toffu-san, and I have to say that in our high school we only have HL and Studies, so we don't know anything about SL (and I don't know why he has said it).

Edit: Maybe, he is comparing HL with the level taken in previous courses and considering that we both are the ones who have best marks in maths in our class (in science in general), for us there aren't a lot of extra difficulties (well, perhaps there are no extra difficulties at the moment [iB1]). (And we don't know how strictly we are following the IB syllabus in maths)

Edited by GNRS

• 1 month later...

hey guys, i'm currently taking Math SL, first year of IB. but it's a total pain, i really do not like math, and I haven't been passing tests. So i'm strongly considering switching to Math studies. I know that it is not accepted by all universities. I'm thinking about studying marketing, and i'm not sure how much math it requires. Does anyone know if i can study marketing with only math studies? I still haven't decided where i want to study specifically.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in Math SL

And I like it. I'm pretty good in math, but I'm not a person who can look at a new equation ane say "got it". I need some time on each chapter.

SL takes things slower and lets you have a good understanding of the chapters. HL moves quicker through some of the "easier" chapters but also goes very in-depth. They also will do a couple more chapters than SL

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gdubi

This is a pretty interesting discussion!

I am one of those students who simply does not enjoy math - however, I am not "bad" at it.

I take Studies simply because, in the end, for what I want to study (Biological Sciences), it is the final points that count - and I expect to get more points in Studies than even in SL.

I went to visit several UK Unis last week and for Biological Sciences, most requested HL math or another HL science along with biology.

I have found, however, better universities who did not state maths as a requirement at all.

The bottom line: Look at what you want to study in University! Studies does not mean 'screwed'. It does not mean you are 'stupid' or incapable, it just means you don't want to pursue the subject.

Allocate your effort to your interests; take HL bio & Chem with Studies instead of SL maths! (In my case)

- G

• 2 weeks later...

HL- Hard

SL- Normal

Studies- Easy

It really depends on what kind of field you want to go into.

Engineering and that type of job will require you to take at least SL math.

HL will just be an added bonus.

Studies is usually accepted by universities as a maths course, however it might not be enough if you want to study

something in university which is strongly maths based.

• 1 month later...

I considered HL, but reasoned that a 7 in SL will be better than a 5 in HL. But I find SL being very easy from time to time

Hmmm... you have to submit two maths portfolios in HL, one in SL and none in Studies, I think. (not so sure about HL and SL)

I can only say from my experience that maths HL is DAMN HARD.

Don't you have some kind of portfolio in studies as well? Some statistics thingy?

Edited by Tilia

• 3 weeks later...

As some of you may already know, i'm going to be an IB student this September and one of the subjects i chose , is Mathematics HL. Of course the teachers told us that we should write a placement test so as to see if it would be better to take Mathematical Studies or Maths SL and they said that I will be just fine with the HL. But I want to know if it is extremely hard to get a 7, and also if only students that are thought to be genious or something, are able to get this kind of grade at HL.

Any comments on the subject from your own experience are WELCOME! :D

ummm I am done with the first year of Maths HL. I am not a maths genius and I have a 5 as a predicted grade right now. But who knows, that is not very official. In fact I have just chosen it, because I didn't want to take Chem HL. However, I had taken PreCal Honors in the States before that...

well, it most definitely is a challenge to me. Most of the time the tasks are not extremely hard, but my problem in mock exams has been the time factor. There is a mass of different topics you need to master at once. And you are under time pressure. If you enjoy maths, though, it should be the right choice. We have completed the first portfolio task a while ago and once I got going it was really fun! It felt great to discover something and to put it down in a neat way (you get 2 portfolio tasks and you have 10 days time for one as the maximum.. the first one is about problem solving, the second one about setting up a model).

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to ask a question but I'm not sure where to ask. Is Maths HL mandatory for engineering? Does chemical engineering require a lot of Maths?

Whether or not it's mandatory depends on the particular university and program. Best to check out the univ's site for specific prerequisites and other requirements. -_-

And all engineering requires a math + chem + phys, and perhaps bio, if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1

• kw0573 locked this topic