What is the difference between HL, SL, Studies? Which to take?

Guest El_Nano

Are you sure that it isn't required in your field? I mean, most of the fields I can think of now have math to at least some degree. I don't think you should take Math Studies, by doing so, you are closing so many doors. Keep to SL, do your best and get a high grade. Taking studies would also be an easy way out.

Edited by Taigan

I would do Math SL if I were you. This is because if you decide to change career paths later on, you may find that you don't have enough mathematical background or don't meet the prerequisites for the university program you want to pursue (if you do Math Studies, that is). As for your coordinator, hopefully she can work something out so you can stay in Math SL. Otherwise, good luck in deciding what you want to do!

If you don't need Maths SL, do studies and get the easy 7.

Absolutely the best advice :D Maths SL is difficult [definitely relative to studies] and if you don't need it, it's just silly to do it and risk getting a lower grade. People will prefer you have a higher total diploma score more than they'll care (or even necessarily know the difference!) about whether you did SL or Studies. If you're sure you're not going to be doing maths or sciences (or anything where you might need SL), go for the 7 and let the extra learning/revision time you save come in handy to do well in subjects which really are important to you and what you want to do at University.

• Like 1

I agree with what has been said above. If you are capable enough to do Maths SL and you do Studies, then you shouldn't need to spend any time studying in that class. The studies class at my school has been doing topics like Pythagoras Theorem and basic algebra, so it is very easy stuff. Don't stress yourself out unnecessarily, the rest of your subjects will do that for you :D

No, I don't that that the OP should do SL just because it is easier. Stick with SL, do your best and in the end you will be rewarded. Don't forget that unis also care about the actual subjects that the students take as well as how rigorous the program is. Only take studies if you think you will have many difficulties with SL, otherwise, stick it out. Don't be pressured by your coordinator as well.

Good luck :D

I'll just insert my two cents in here. Math SL sounds better than Studies, but Studies seems like the smarter option. If I had to choose between SL and studies, I'd pick SL but that's because I'm going into a math field, and I don't like that Studies has a greater emphasis on statistics [and maybe probability, but I'm not sure]. However, I see Studies analogous to ab initio in languages. Why take SL when you are qualified for ab initio, you know?

Plus, you want your IB coordinator to have a good impression of you. She technically can't hold it against you for wanting to do SL, but it'll help your relationship if you take Studies.

Now if you really want to take SL, then that's a different thing. If you're ambivalent, then go for Studies. G'luck

thanks for all your opinions..

I chose math studies in the end. I felt that it would be beneficial to me. I am not very good in math anyways. and the university thatI am looking at does not require SL OR HL math. And I feel that with Studies I am spending less time trying to grasp the concepts, however with that being said we have only been in school for a week now.

Dear kankeel,

It is logical that any SL class is easier than HL, right? Math SL I do not find extremely challenging, it is just the concepts that you must know.

Well, Math HL of course goes over the SL syllabus and you must do two or three options while as in SL you don't need to. If you are more concerned with the topics taught in SL and HL you should take a look at the syllabi of both and compare them.

Also, if you are thinking of switching from HL to SL, then you will not have to catch up much because HL covers the same things as SL (for the most part). Switching any time during your IB1 year will not cause you any loss in terms of you missing any material, so you will be fine!

SL has some hard parts in it but overall it's not too bad; i'd say it's quite an average course, not too hard or too easy. Maths HL, on the other hand, would be an advanced course imo. The HL people have a lot more work to do and harder work. There is quite a large gap between the two, but if you move from HL to SL, then no you wouldn't need to catch up on anything, HL covers the SL content as well.

If you've done Maths HL, dropping down to SL doesn't require learning anything new. Studies does have a different syllabus to both SL and HL, and so you would need to do some additional things which I know aren't in the SL syllabus, I'm not too sure about the HL one. More or less (to my knowledge) it's a load of statistics/calculator stuff which makes the difference. You'd also need to do different coursework if you've already done coursework for one level or the other. You can swap from HL to SL no problems, but there are some larger differences between HL/SL and Studies.

• 1 month later...

For the moment I have SL maths, but I'm thinking about switching it for Studies.

I don't know what kind of university education I'm looking for yet, but I am sure it will relate to history, language, social studies or something like that (in other words, I'm not looking for anything closely related to experimental sciences). What are the requirements for universities abroad, do you need maths SL for a social related education or will it do with studies?

The reason I'm thinking about switching is that if I continue with SL I will have to study a lot harder. I am confident I can do it without to much hassle, but switching to Studies would mean more time for the other subjects and a higher mathematics grade in the end so I would prefer that if I don't loose the possibility to attend a university I'm interested in along the way.

Look to be honest I have maths HL, but from what I've heard from others, it depends on where you want to study and the prestige of the university you want to attend.

What I mean is that even though you want to study history or language related stuff, the unis check what subjects you chose as the numbers of applicants are enormous.

Most applicants will have fulfiled the uni's requests but how are they going to choose if they have 150 positions for students and 1000 of those who applied have met their standards ?

They put "filters" on their search.

Maths SL is more respected than studies so if I were you, I would stick to the SL.

If it is too hard for you though then you should choose what you think will make your life easier.

But before you make any choice consider the pros and cons of each subject.

If you don't want to do a mathematical course, I'd go for Maths Studies. Your total IB point score is going to have more of an effect than a negligible subject like maths. Even if you could get the 7 in Maths SL, doing an easier course means you have more time to study for the 6's and 7's in everything else!

To my knowledge Maths Studies is fine for any arts course. After all, it's never ever going to come up, so it doesn't matter to them at all whether you can do it or not. Even at Oxbridge I doubt it'd make much difference. Of course your safest bet is to ring where you want to go and ask smile.gif

I used to do SL Maths but I wasn't doing too well in it, so I switched to Studies and it was the best choice I made. It's a lot easier and it's not stressful, so it gives me more time to focus on my weaker subjects. If you aren't doing science or maths at Uni, and are doing a humanities based course, Maths Studies will be okay. Also, some Universities in Australia count Math Studies as Mathematical Methods in Victoria (which is equivalent to SL).

and yeah, if you do well on maths studies, it will boost your final score up, which is probably the most crucial thing when getting into uni smile.gif

Hey!!

That is a similar problem I am faced with too. I have taken Math SL at the moment but however, Im finding it difficult to cope up with it. Even my mid-term Math marks have been average.

I plan to either major in Business or do Journalism after my IB. So I don't think I need a Math SL. You think I should shift to Math Studies??

Hey!!

That is a similar problem I am faced with too. I have taken Math SL at the moment but however, Im finding it difficult to cope up with it. Even my mid-term Math marks have been average.

I plan to either major in Business or do Journalism after my IB. So I don't think I need a Math SL. You think I should shift to Math Studies??

Maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about, but I think that you'd need a pretty good foundation in math for business right? Although, math studies might actually give you a better foundation if, like I hear, it focuses more on statistics and that kind of thing.

Ah, I'm sort of in the same position. I'm undecided between Math SL and Math Studies. I have an interest in the sciences for university but I'm not quite sure if I really want to got hat route. From my research of several top universities in the States and Canada, I saw that almost all of them require Math HL/SL and do NOT recognize Math Studies. That being the case, I'm leaning toward doing Math SL. However, I don't know if I can handle since Math is definitely my weakest subject.

Is Math SL really that bad? What about it is making people complain about it?

• kw0573 locked this topic