What is the difference between HL, SL, Studies? Which to take?

Guest El_Nano

i choose math SL because i dont think that i have that very high potentials in mathmatics but am wondering does it affect universities acceptance ??? for example if i took HL would i have a bigger chance in acceptance or its the same and i dnt hve to worry about it ???

And i 've always heard fom students that math at a higher level is too much hard and requires too much working in addition that its hard to acheive a 7

in this subject at this level :giveheart:

thank u

i choose math SL because i dont think that i have that very high potentials in mathmatics but am wondering does it affect universities acceptance ??? for example if i took HL would i have a bigger chance in acceptance or its the same and i dnt hve to worry about it ???

And i 've always heard fom students that math at a higher level is too much hard and requires too much working in addition that its hard to acheive a 7

in this subject at this level :giveheart:

thank u

basically if you don't "LOVE" math or you aren't taking engineering, mathematics or anything involving lots of math for your major, you don't need it. However... I believe you could get extra credits if you take math HL and get a 7 in it. About the university acceptance, i'm not really sure. But take it ONLY if you LOVE it.

We need more details. What do you want to study at uni? Which country are you planning on applying to? But babakren is right, don't take math HL unless you love it. I like math but when i started out in HL I left after a month because I didn't feel like doing 20+ hours of math per week. Additionally everyone got a 4 or less in my class despite being predicted 5 or above. Don't do it unless you have to, if you want the 7 and you're good at math take SL like i did :giveheart: .

look, math SL is like an introductory course at college on calculus while math HL might be the next semester class. HL is a lttle harder from what I've seen and you don't need to be a super math genius to pass that test, you just need to pay attention in class. As far as colleges go, it depends because MIT will definately be interested in Math HL over SL but Harvard won't even ask for math classes, so if you want to be a doctor, take HL, and if you want to be a journalist, take SL.

I have a similar problem with the maths levels, but is Maths HL required for anything? I've got the impression that most just require "a science or maths HL".

Yes HL math is required when studying engeneering and mathematics. Also math HL might be required if you want to go to oxbridge or IVY,

for example Oxford even though it is not formally required to have math HL when studying economics 96% !!! has math HL or equivalent.

For other universities this does not have to be true, and taking math SL and thereby maybe score a 7 is maybe often preferable,

but often math HL is seen in very high regard by universities. So even they maybe say "a science or math hl" having both might double your chances of getting in

and as you are from sweden, if you plan to study there, then you do not need math HL for anything. As swedish kids are retards in math ;P

• Like 1

I take Math Studies. Since I did IGCSE Math, did not like the SL class even though I did not find any difficulty in that class and bound to study BA in Economics and BS Economics, Math SL is not a necessity to me, therefore I decided to take the easier road: Studies.

There's also the possibility of Maths with Econ, which a friend of mine is taking (75% math, 25% econ). But I guess it depends on what you're taking. :D

In regards to HL vs. SL, I can honestly say the HL students work a lot harder than the SL. If you can stay motivated and enjoy math (do your homework! >.< ), I'd say go for it. It may be a lot more work but you get the ego boost of saying you completed HL Maths.

I am doing Maths SL right now, but i think about dropping down to Studies.

I've never really been good at maths, so i would not recieve a grade ebtter than 5 in Math SL.

I wanna study law in the US or UK after the IB.

Does anyone know the Math requirements to study law in any of the Ivy League universities and/or the equivalent in the UK (just incase i get good enough grades, I dont wanna ruin my chances to join just beacause i chose the wrong subject level)?

Hey! I took Math SL and I was happy with my choice. I was between choosing SL and HL, but decided the former to ease my workload during the IB. I decided then that I wasn't going to study anything related to such extensive levels of math so Math SL was the best choice :P

HL Math is harder and more in depth than SL Math (which is a joke, like most of the other SL subjects, IMO).

Basically, while SL Math is suitable for most people, you really need to focus in HL, be a strong math student and like math.

So in summary, it's not hard getting a 7 in SL but a 7 in HL is a bit of a struggle. I say this as pretty much everyone taking SL Math got either 6 or 7 in the May 08 exam session.

Math Methods doesn't exist anymore.

In the old days (05 I think), it used to be:

Maths HL

Math Methods SL

Maths Studies SL

But now, Math Methods is just Maths SL. It's just not called Methods anymore though it's still basicaly kind of the same syllabus.

If you're a Pre-IB Freshman taking Algebra 2 now, I would assume that you will probably HL in math.

Basically HL means Higher Level and SL is standard level. My school makes you take certain math classes in order to take math at a certain level.

At my school we are required to take the following classes for each IB Math Class

*Math HL- Algebra 1&2, Geometry, Pre-Calc, Calc AB&BC, and AP Statistics

* Math SL- Algebra 1&2, Geometry, Pre-Calc/IB Math SL (Basically Pre-Calc following the IB Curriculum), and then either Calc AB or AP Statistic senior year. We take this exam anticipated.

*Math Studies- Algebra 1&2, Geometry, AP Statistics, and IB Math Studies.

Hopefully this helps you figure out what is expected of you where.

:P

HL is higher level while SL is standard level. As the name suggests, HL covers more material, is harder, and requires more dedication than SL. It is generally not suggested that you take HL if you have a weak base in math or you hate math. I think it also covers some really basic uni math.

Edited by moneyfaery

• kw0573 locked this topic