Harry Potter or Twilight?

miki2011

169 members have voted

1. 1. Harry Potter or Twilight?

• Harry Potter
    • Twilight

could you please add a poll? and then ask "why" so this thread is not full of one line responses. (or if any mod see this please do so)

I prefer Harry Potter. tbh I've never watched Twilight. yes, I repeat, I've never watched or read any of the Twilight series. because I'm disgusted at how hyper i.e. mad the fans are and their obsessions with Edward and Jacob; seriously!? they're not handsome!! and then they watch the movie over and over again just to see Edward and Jacob. geez. I think people (especially girls) like Twilight not because the story is great or anything, not because of the movie/book but because of the actors/actresses.

Harry Potter is a lot better. anyway I always prefer fantasy genre to romance genre (Twilight has more romance than fantasy!). so...

HP4EVA!!!!!

I don't think Twilight is bad in any way. Well if you discount the terrible characterisations, substandard writing on Meyer's part, and the unbelievable "love" (which I call stupidity) from Bella to Edward. Wait, that's basically the whole book, isn't it? Twilight became famous and every pre-teen girl's wet dream because Edward was the guy who remained a virgin for over a century for his 'one true luuuuurve' and Jacob is smokin' when shirtless (which he is for majority of his screen time). That's all the depth to the Twilight series.

Harry Potter is an epic and a saga and when I saw Deathly Hallow Part 2, I cried a little because it was the end of an era!

• Like 4

Which do you like more and why?

Harry Potter has a certain magic that Twilight doesn't (No, I'm not talking about wizards vs vampires/werevolves). Harry Potter, no matter how many times I read it, I feel the same emotions I did when I first read it. It is such a beautifully written, well thought out, appeals-to-all-ages, series.

Twilight, on the other hand, was a phase. I loved it when I read it, but even then it did not compare with Harry Potter. And the writing is just very, very, very different. New Moon felt boring, I didn't like Breaking Dawn's plot. But none of the Harry Potter books left me unhappy/not satisfied.

That is the difference.

I can´t believe I am saying this... I loved Twilight when I first read it. Honestly, before it became really popular and people trashed it so much, I thought it was a great book... However, then everybody else started reading it and gave it so much negative press and it affected me on a subconsious level so that I couldnt really enjoy it anymore, even though I used to love it so much. people hating on it ruined it for me. Now, many people who honestly dont know ***** about analysing books (or havent read the books at all!) are talking about poor characters and blah blah blah. Honestly this poll is worthless, because Harry Potter has such a following and has already become such a classic and has made JK the richest author in the world, while Twilight has become the Pop thing to hate. This is just a poll to make cheap Twilight jokes that have been made a million times before, while trashing Harry Potter is nere blasphemy in this age! (not that I want to trash HP, I love it.)

Though I agree harry potter has a lot more literary value, there is no comparison, that dosent mean Twilight is terrible. It is another romance novel that became popular and then the popular thing to hate. There are many books like but people dont go around trashing them all the time! I am going to be the devils advocate and defend Twilight. Stephanie Meyer never tried to write the great american novel. It was a romance fantasy novel made to entertain people. Sure, the romance is a bit unbelievable, but tell me one romance novel thats is? When I was first reading it, it made me happy and sad. I was glad when Bella and Edward got together. Reading certain parts made me feel happy and giggly inside. It entertained me. If a novel does that, does the literary value really matter? Does it matter that it does not have a deeper message or a deep philosophical revelation on every page? Do you have to ruin other peoples enjoyment of a book?

In my opinion, the main purpose of a fiction book is to tell a story. And the point of reading fiction is to go to another world, get away from real life, not mimic it. If a book does that, a deeper meaning, clever literary devices etc are just as bonus.

I automatically assumed you meant books. If I love a book the movies can NOT MEASURE UP!!! Movies suck compared to books Im sorry. So if you mean the movies, HP and twilight, they suck. I feal VERY irritated when you talk about Twilight or Harry Potter or whatever and people talk about the movies?! The movies are just byproducts of the books, like the videogames abd other paraphanelia. You do not know HP if you only saw the movies!!

Huh... sorry for the rant there. I´m tired :coffee: . Tho I stand by everything I said :)

Edited by Summer Glau
  • Like 3

Some wise guy wrote this on his blog and I was rolling with laughter even though it made very little sense and has very little to do with this debate.

Harry Potter versus Twilight

But when it comes to words, you don't spit, you spray,

It's your bathtub gin to my Bombay,

It's my bartending to your café,

It's my American dollars to you, José,

It's my iPhone to your prepay,

It's my Albus Severus to your Renesmée.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

could you please add a poll? and then ask "why" so this thread is not full of one line responses. (or if any mod see this please do so)

I prefer Harry Potter. tbh I've never watched Twilight. yes, I repeat, I've never watched or read any of the Twilight series. because I'm disgusted at how hyper i.e. mad the fans are and their obsessions with Edward and Jacob; seriously!? they're not handsome!! and then they watch the movie over and over again just to see Edward and Jacob. geez. I think people (especially girls) like Twilight not because the story is great or anything, not because of the movie/book but because of the actors/actresses.

Harry Potter is a lot better. anyway I always prefer fantasy genre to romance genre (Twilight has more romance than fantasy!). so...

As a genuine twilight fan, i can agree with you that there are fan girls only interested in the actors (i don't see why, the main actors Robert and Taylor aren't that great in any way) BUT not all of us are sooo senselessly caught up. I read the books way before I saw the movies, and yes i did fall in love with the characters Edward and Jacob (i will admit to that much),i also fell in love with the book and the story itself and not to mention with the easy flow of the writing; the writing is very superficial and not very in-depth or as well written as the harry potter books but that makes it a really easy read. Moreover, the way Stephanie Meyer wrote in first person, as a girl i really could see through Bella's eyes and I really felt what she felt, i know people argue that Bella is a shallow and that she is a static character, but i think the way Stephanie Meyer wrote her was to leave the reader input their self in her head to some extent.

I've enjoyed all the Harry Potter books and movies. Some more then others but I've never regretted watching/reading any of them. They aren't difficult to read so I more or less grew up with them and I was fine with the writing. The fans for this series range from all ages and backgrounds, and it's quite easy to converse about the a multitude of subjects related to the series. Books being able to be written about the science or politics of the the text also add to the literary qualities and overall I am amazed at how they can be so deep and simple at the same time.

I've read the entire Twilight series as well. I started and finished the first 3 when I was about 12. They were OK then. I then bothered to read the 4th book at 15. It was horrible. The writing style sucked and was so simplistic. On top of that I realized the story was stupid and incredibly unnecessarily long. For any character development including relationship development to occur took like the whole book. With the simplistic writing style and the sheer size that's should not be the case. And any other major event despite being built up to throughout the entire book ends up not happening or having no effects (If you've read the 4th one you'll know what I'm talking about). The fans are also annoying. There really isn't much to discuss so to talk about it generally goes into Edward vs Jacob, which just ends up in nonsense batter. And they take it way too seriously. I'm not going to bother watching the movies. Overall the books are pretty bad and should only be read by tweens/early teens if they are read at all.

Edited by Hexa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Definitely HARRY POTTER! Just like citizenoftheuniverse I liked Twilight at the beginning. Really. But then I realized that vampires in those books are nothing like they're supposed to be. I mean, the curse bonding both species, vampires and werewolves, has been cut off the story completely. That's what I don't like about them. Vampires and werewolves were supposed to be damned for eternity. Vampires that burn in the sunlight, drink blood and are immortal. Werewolves that can change only in full moon and not whenever they want to... After a while, when I look at it, I don't think about it as a fantasy book, but a romance....

Whereas in Harry Potter we have so many varied characters. There's honestly something for everyone.