Harry Potter or Twilight?

miki2011

169 members have voted

1. 1. Harry Potter or Twilight?

• Harry Potter
    • Twilight

Harry Potter has been my childhood and the amount of creativity that is in it is absolutely.... fantastic. And I mean that in every sense of the word. The emotions that the books are able to extract from me are amazing. The magical aspect of it, as someone already mentioned, doesn't come from the "witches/wizards" (even though that part is pretty flippin' awesome), it's from the ability of the author to create a new world. Similar to J.R.R Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. These were literary geniuses.

I've read Twilight for the sole purpose of being able to judge it without being ignorant. I genuinely disliked it all the way through and regret the week of my life it took. I don't feel anything has been contributed towards my literary world.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, sparkly vampires and oversized dogs or flying broomsticks and magic and spells?

HARRY POTTER.

Also, I think that Hermione is a much better role model than Bella. She is much, much stronger. All Bella can do is fall in love and try to commit suicide to hear her lover's voice. Hermione is smart, strong and independent. HP <3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I chose Harry Potter because it has an immense, complex, well-thought-out plot with lots of subplots and character development. The characters make difficult decisions in horrible situations, with understandable motives. There are interesting underlying themes of racism and prejudice in the Death Eaters. Harry Potter is about making difficult decisions in the face of terrible adversity.

I did not choose Twilight because I find that things happen to Bella; she doesn't make many choices of her own accord. I also find her relationships with Edward and Jacob to be highly dysfunctional. Edward watches her sleep, tells her who she should be friends with, and rarely allows her to simply make decisions. Jacob is a bit less controlling, but I still find him controlling. And I think Bella is very, very shallow for being willing to sacrifice everything she could have as a human, including her relationship with her family just so she can be more like her boyfriend as soon as possible. And, this may be a bit controversial, but I feel like New Moon glorifies suicide with Edward threatening to commit suicide. The message it sends is that if things go wrong, killing yourself is a good option. It doesn't talk about moving forward. I think this is especially bad because the main audience tends to be romantic middle school girls, and middle school tends to be where bullying is most vicious and likely to drive people to suicide.

Basically, I think Twilight is a concept that could have been great but wasn't. (I mean, Meyer could have had Bella a strong lead who tell Edward off for being so controlling and then there could have been character development as he tried to recognize that he was controlling and fix it.)

And I think Harry Potter sends a bright message of hope that if we stand up for what you believe is right, we can do great good in the world, while by doing nothing in the face of evil, we allow it to take hold.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Harry Potter was what made my childhood what it was! No matter what, Twilight would not compare to all those years I pined for the release of another Harry Potter book or movie. Also in my opinion Harry Potter contained more substance than Twilight. I guess I'm not a big fan of Romantic novels and sideline action. In the HP series on the other hand, it was adventure/action with sideline romance which made it much more enjoyable for me to read.

Besides, little Daniel Radcliffe was a total cutie in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone :P

Ooh also, I loved all the historical references J.K Rowling put in the Harry Potter series and the freshness of having all sorts of magical creatures (besides the old vampires and werewolves) made the series all the more exciting :]

Edited by Edwina Wong

• 2 months later...

I think this question is somewhat unfair because these novels aren't comparable in my opinion. I am forced to choose Harry Potter because that was way more time consuming than reading the Twilight novels ever was. Plus I was absolutely terrified half of the time when I read Harry Potter, but I was too old to become so emotionally invested in Twilight when that time came. I think Twilight is great, and I am very glad that I read all of the novels. Harry Potter is simply too intertwined with my childhood to ever compare to Twilight. I was also 100% equally disappointed with the film adaptations of both HP and Twilight. They were just... beyond everything.. ugh

Edited by Babydolleyes

Guest Zoya (aka: ziasha)

harry potter obviosuly - its a better become and even the movies are way better.

Every aspect of harry potter seems to so unique and the Twilight seems so fake and has a lot of logic failures. Not only that the website "pottermore" was a very unique idea which is apparently being copied by twilight.

NO OFFENSE TO THE LITTLE AMOUNT OF TWILIGHT LOVERS HERE :o

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Twilight is too cliché and the love story is horrible. Harry Potter is my childhood favourite movie and in contrast to Twilight it actually has a quite decent story without all the cliché love and ****. Also, Twilight killed my perception of vampires. They used to be cool and dangerous before, but now everyone thinks that vampires are those human-like creatures in Twilight that aren't even frightening.

tl;dr Twilight is for babies, while Harry Potter is awesome.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Harry Potter without a doubt. It has a much more sophisticated plot and the world created in the Harry Potter books is truly amazing. So hands down, Harry Potter lol.

And i admit, i did love Twilight in my younger teen years but Twilight was a phase, Harry Potter is a life-time thing. With Harry Potter, no matter how many obsessions you have with other books, you will always go back to Harry Potter.