Language B HL Orals

kyoran

Hello, I'm doing Korean B HL
but since it's not offered at our school, I supposedly have a teacher outside school who doesnt know anything about the IB.

I'm going to do the Orals soon, but my questions are as follows.
1. How many orals am I supposed to send to the IB?
2. What am I supposed to talk about in the orals? ( example topics please)
3. And how long should they be?

Does anyone have examples of orals (perhaps in written form) that you could give me just to know what i should be doing?
English B would be the best, since its the only other language i know :)

Thank you very much in advance!

I advise you to look for a teacher who knows about the IB. It's not really a must, but it's much better, since he/she will know about the criteria and how to mark your examination. Anyways, the Language B orals follow the same path, so this should be helpful. (Hopefully! :D )

1. How many orals am I supposed to send to the IB?

They're two actually; one called an "Interactive Oral Activity" where you present a topic of your choice in front of the class and the teacher grades it. The other one, called "Individual Oral" where you present a topic of your choice individually in front of the teacher only in a closed room. It is usually taped. Mind you that in both cases, you have to choose a topic relating to a country whose first language is the one you're going to speak in. In your case, it's korean.

2. What am I supposed to talk about in the orals? (example topics please)

What are the countries whose first language/ mother tongue is Korean? Choose one and relate it to a topic of your choice. Do you like the environment? Then one example would be "Health hazards related to air pollution in Korea". Do you want a historical topic? One would be "To what extent did the Korean War 1950-1953 contribute to XYZ in Korea today?" and so on, but don't forget to highlight the country and relate to it.

3. And how long should they be?

I guess that the interactive oral is set and timed by the teacher. However, the individual oral is set by the IBO; 10 minutes as follows;
- (3-4 minutes) you present your topic. - (3-4 minutes) questions on your topic asked by the teacher. - (3-4 minutes) general discussion on something that is not related to the topic you presented or/neither to the country you talked about. For example, if you talked about war in Korea, the questions might come about drug addiction in the USA. They're not hard, and they usually ask you about your opinion without having to go into much statistical/interpretive details.

Hope this has helped. Have a nice day. :)

To add to B-A's answer: You don't have to send the "Individual Oral Activity" so basically you only send the "Individual Oral" to the IBO and that will be moderated. It [b]has[/b] to be taped!

2. In a nutshell, it has to have something to do with Korea/Korean culture

Kyoran, I suggest you download the Language B syllabus from the syllabi thread, it has the exact lengths and answers to your questions regarding the orals.

[b]1. How many orals am I supposed to send to the IB?[/b]
You have to do an individual oral in front of the class and then an individual oral with your teacher, then on top of that you have to do a group oral for all language Bs. (Im doing Lang B French and German and for both of them I have a group oral so I'm assuming its the same for Korean)

[b]2. What am I supposed to talk about in the orals? ( example topics please)[/b]
Examiners like it when you relate the topic to the country, so for French I might talk about a very recent topic such as Sarkozy's elections, showing that I have cultural interaction with France and that I acknowledge recent issues in France. So you would then have to apply this to Korea...
My German teacher says that good topics would be things that have a problem, and then a solution, such as global warming, racism, etc. etc. It basicaly must show an aspect of Korean culture.

[b]3. And how long should they be?[/b]
I've been told that they are 15 minutes long..

hope that helps!