Your personal opinion.

Nhu

isn't that the bad side of the article? I remember saying the article is very one sided or something. we don't know how the experimenters got the guinea pigs and we don't know whether they told them the risks and everything. news articles are always like that, always portraying the ugly side of the world only.

well yes it doesn't make it right, but it's difficult to escape from that situation don't you think? say everyone in your environment are cannibals. it doesn't mean you have to be like them too but there is a higher chance that you'll be like them. it does affect the way one thinks, but you're right in the sense that it doesn't make everyone to do/feel the same. but it's likely.

isn't that the bad side of the article? I remember saying the article is very one sided or something. we don't know how the experimenters got the guinea pigs and we don't know whether they told them the risks and everything. news articles are always like that, always portraying the ugly side of the world only.

well yes it doesn't make it right, but it's difficult to escape from that situation don't you think? say everyone in your environment are cannibals. it doesn't mean you have to be like them too but there is a higher chance that you'll be like them. it does affect the way one thinks, but you're right in the sense that it doesn't make everyone to do/feel the same. but it's likely.

Its true that we can't trust the legitimacy of the source, nor can we fully trust the perspective from which it's told. However, the point I'm trying to say is that we shouldnt be doing the experiments in the way that this article implied. True, maybe in real life these experiments were done ethically. However, the point I've been making is that experimenters simply cant take advantage of people that are willing volunteers, or do things based on "curiosity" without background research, or the other stuff I've said.

And cannibalism implies that you're more likely to be in a Eat or Be Eaten situation. Your life is at stake, so of course your more likely to conform. However, being in a classroom environment, or a work environment, the situation isnt the same. It's difficult to overcome mob mentality, but if people didnt do stuff that was difficult, then how many kids would be left in IB? :P

It is unethical but people do it anyway. Morals are trashed in order to seek further knowledge. In the real world, the matter of ethics does not matter as much, despite how much it is "emphasized" in the media.

Although we may believe it is unethical even if one innocent life is sacrificed to save hundreds or thousands in the future through biological experimentation, I feel it is deemed a good enough justification for society to do it.

Just because "people do it anyways" does not mean it should still be done.

Morals dont always have to be trashed in order to seek further knowledge. If that's what people do, they obviously havent learnt enough.

Also, you claim that ethics does not matter much in the real world, but with that attitude, how can people be expected to make the correct decisions in the first place?

There's a very thin line between experimenting on volunteers for curiosity, before we move on to repeating history and experimenting on prisoners, and then experimenting on anyone, without due cause. There's no "justification" when you choose to cause unnecessary suffering.

Of course it shouldn't be done. Of course there are better alternatives. And of course morals don't have to be trashed. But look what has happened. Take a good look at what IS happening. People take the most selfish, most beneficial and the easiest way out. Ethics really does not exist in the real world; the government makes people believe their actions are merely justifiable enough so that they can do what they want. And that is the progress we are making. There is no justification for unnecessary suffering. Why do you think it happens anyway?

The fact is people care, just enough in order to make progress while gaining all they can. Do you really think society makes the most ethical decisions? If that was the case my life would be a whole lot different.

It is unethical but people do it anyway. Morals are trashed in order to seek further knowledge. In the real world, the matter of ethics does not matter as much, despite how much it is "emphasized" in the media.

Although we may believe it is unethical even if one innocent life is sacrificed to save hundreds or thousands in the future through biological experimentation, I feel it is deemed a good enough justification for society to do it.

Morals dont always have to be trashed in order to seek further knowledge. If that's what people do, they obviously havent learnt enough.

Also, you claim that ethics does not matter much in the real world, but with that attitude, how can people be expected to make the correct decisions in the first place?

There's a very thin line between experimenting on volunteers for curiosity, before we move on to repeating history and experimenting on prisoners, and then experimenting on anyone, without due cause. There's no "justification" when you choose to cause unnecessary suffering.

Of course it shouldn't be done. Of course there are better alternatives. And of course morals don't have to be trashed. But look what has happened. Take a good look at what IS happening. People take the most selfish, most beneficial and the easiest way out. Ethics really does not exist in the real world; the government makes people believe their actions are merely justifiable enough so that they can do what they want. And that is the progress we are making. There is no justification for unnecessary suffering. Why do you think it happens anyway?

The fact is people care, just enough in order to make progress while gaining all they can. Do you really think society makes the most ethical decisions? If that was the case my life would be a whole lot different.

It happens anyway because of the people that keep saying "Look around the world" or "Look at how society does it" which eventually convinces others to believe the same. Society, and the real world, are not made up of one prevailing belief. People need to stop making generalizations and realize the each person contributes a small amount to the world. No, I can't say whether or not society makes the most ethical decisions, because I havent seen society make any decisions. However, I've seen and heard of PEOPLE making both ethical and unethical decisions.

In certain countries, the government is chosen by the people, while those countries are trying to stop governments in countries that do exactly what you said.

It happens anyway because of the people that keep saying "Look around the world" or "Look at how society does it" which eventually convinces others to believe the same. Society, and the real world, are not made up of one prevailing belief. People need to stop making generalizations and realize the each person contributes a small amount to the world. No, I can't say whether or not society makes the most ethical decisions, because I havent seen society make any decisions. However, I've seen and heard of PEOPLE making both ethical and unethical decisions.

In certain countries, the government is chosen by the people, while those countries are trying to stop governments in countries that do exactly what you said.

What? Are you saying that I am responsible for unethical decisions that our society makes? Are you saying that morals are trashed because groups of convinced people believe they are? We have seen things. We know things. Having a belief, a group of people having a belief, does not have, and if so, a very small impact on decisions made ultimately by a greater power, such as the government. I don't know what you are talking about with the generalizations and each person contributing to the world...

Have you ever considered corruption in any government? The US is one of the most controversial countries in the world due to their decision making and how they have carried out their measures and courses of action.