DO I need any english language qualification if taking IB english HL B when applying to top 10 unis in UK?

DDuino

That depends, do you hold a passport from an English-speaking country? I have a diplomatic passport so even though I had taken English A1 HL, I was asked to sit for the IELTS and I sent my results across to the Universities (Oxford, LSE, King's, Warwick, Sussex). Besides, it's not like it's going to cost you much to get the testing done. Also English B HL is a sign that you do not speak English at the level of a native speaker or else you would be in A1. At my old school, the students in English A2 were also told to give IELTS/TOEFL. Universities may not specifically ask for it, but when your English level is at B, you might as well send it in.

Arrowhead.

If you take the IB in English, you can ask your counsellor( or whoever handles your university applications) to send a quick email explaining that you are proficient enough in the language etc and it all should be okay. Basically you're "testing out".

Its only in the US that people have a lot more problems, even if they have been speaking English their whole life and are studying A1 English, they can be required to take the TOEFL/IELTS. But UK universities are more lenient in this aspect.

Edited by ShootingStars
  • Like 1

ShootingStars is right, UK Unis are more lenient provided you make the effort and get the dialogue going regarding your English proficiency. But when University websites say that a 5 is acceptable in IB English, they are generally automatically referring to IB A1 English, very few Unis have any concept of B English or A2 English.

What the other posters have said is true. Most UK universities are looking for English A1 (at any level) as proof of English proficiency. If you're doing English B, you may be asked to sit the IELTS/TOEFL or some sort of English proficiency exam.

By the way, as far as I know, if you've taken the GCSE English Language exam, most UK universities will be happy to accept a 'C' grade or above as proof of English competency. Depending on the course you take, some unis will require a 'B' though.