Environmental systems and societies EE

Katkat

Hello,

After a lot of thinking and consideration, I've decided to do my extended essay in ESS. I'd love to do it on the effect of oil and petroleum on biodiversity, but could do with a bit of help to narrow it down.

Is fieldwork an essential part of ESS EE's? Anyone succsessfully completed an ESS EE?

About to loose my mind with this as my college is fanstastically bad at informing their IB students properly. When are extended essays due for 2012 exam IBers anyway?

Thanks.

If you're giving your exam in May 2012, then your essay will be due to the IB in March 2012 at the very latest. You have quite a lot of time to get your essay done. Field work is appreciated in ESS EEs as far as I have seen (but so far I've only seen one so that's not saying much). I wish I could help you narrow it down but this isn't my field of expertise exactly, so I'll leave off and let some of the others here advise you.

ESS EEs are a lot like Physics EEs. Field Work is pretty important. you are expected to take readings etc. and heavy use of Statistical tools are recommended. i really don't know ANYONE who's done an ESS extended essay but try to speak to your IB coordinator about giving you the criteria for ESS EEs.

Thanks guys!

spoke to my ESS lecturer today and finally got my topic and RQ sorted. Will be investigating the impacts of organic pollution on the biodiversity of The River Ouseburn/Tyne ( in very urban areas) and High Force ( nature reserve)

Actually really excited. Gonna be digging about in human waste and studying the results in a microscope! Brilliant.

Good for you...just don't concentrate too much into the Biology aspect of it as THAT could deter you away fro ESS.

Oh and ESS EEs concentrate a lot on societies and people in general, So make sure you mention the impacts on the local population.