Introduction to Artificial Intelligence

aldld

So, are there any programmers/computer science fans here at IB Survival? If so, you might be interested in this class called Introduction to Artificial Intelligence. It is a free, online class available this fall and will be taught by Stanford professor Sebastian Thrun as well as Peter Norvig, director of research at Google.

I personally am really excited about taking this class because it's the first computer science class available for me to take that goes beyond just basic programming. There are two tracks available, and when I signed up I picked the basic track, thinking that I wouldn't have enough time for the advanced track. Although now I'm beginning to have second thoughts about that decision, and if possible I will be changing to the advanced track. If you have at least some background knowledge (I imagine basic programming, as well as prob/stats and linear algebra), I'd recommend taking the advanced track because if you decide you don't have enough time you can always switch to the basic track.

Stanford is also offering two other computer science classes online for free: Machine Learning and Introduction to Databases.

So, is anybody else planning to take Intro to AI (or any of the other courses available)? What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

OMG OMG OMG OMG :panic:

I really really want to sign up!! but.....

:(

This course is 10 weeks long. The in-class class starts Tue, Sept 27.

the timing just isn't right! from that date, 10 weeks is till the end of november :( I'll have my semestral exams in october, my uni&scholarship applications are due in october, I have to take a math aptitude test in early november and i might be attending an interview in mid november if I get to the next stage of the scholarship application.

the time just isn't right. if I was in IB1 I would've joined in.

good luck to you and have fun! I wish I could participate :crying:

OMG OMG OMG OMG :panic:

This course is 10 weeks long. The in-class class starts Tue, Sept 27.

the timing just isn't right! from that date, 10 weeks is till the end of november :( I'll have my semestral exams in october, my uni&scholarship applications are due in october, I have to take a math aptitude test in early november and i might be attending an interview in mid november if I get to the next stage of the scholarship application.

Actually the online version of the course starts on October 10 and goes until December 16. I don't know if that's any better for your schedule though :P

If you're really interested but don't think you'll have enough time, I suggest just signing up for the basic track and see where it goes from there. It doesn't cost any money to take the course (unless you purchase the optional textbook, of course), so really you don't lose anything if you decide to drop the class somewhere down the line.

I don't think I have enough background knowledge in order to take this course...

If there was a course for absolute beginners, I would've loved to take it.

hey, it is! read this page http://robots.stanford.edu/cs221/

Prerequisites

A solid understanding of probability and linear algebra will be required.

I bet you meet the requirements <_<

that's kinda bad too -_- my uni app is due on the 15th >.<

:( Hopefully they'll offer more classes in the future.

I'll think about it again. what exactly are the differences between the basic and advanced classes?

I believe the basic track is mainly watching videos and answering quizzes. The advanced track has the stuff from the basic track, plus assignments and exams. Here's the schedule for the online course: http://robots.stanford.edu/cs221/online.html

are the videos downloadable btw?

The videos are pre-recorded, so I assume they're meant to be streamed. Downloading videos is addressed in the FAQ: https://www.ai-class.com/registration/faq

What if I don't have a fast internet connection? Can I download the videos?

Due to the interactive nature of the videos, simply downloading them to view offline is difficult. We are looking into options, but because the videos are not live if you are willing to wait for them to buffer you should be able to view them all.

Also, for the prerequisites: KhanAcademy is a great resource, if you want to power through the Probability and Statistics and Linear Algebra playlists in a month :P

Also for Linear Algebra, another good resource is from MIT's OpenCourseWare: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06-linear-algebra-spring-2010/video-lectures/

I've worked through the KhanAcademy Linear Algebra playlist as well as about 2/3 of the MIT Linear Algebra lectures and I can say with confidence that these are two very good resources if you want to brush up on the prerequisites :)