I need EE help on theme of women's traditional roles in novels

Julia

I was thinking of writing my EE on women's roles hispanic culture and how they are generally subjugated. I wanted to show this through the writing of The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. Basically, if you haven't read it, the book is about a young Mexican girl growing up in the United States who does not want to be like other women that she knows. Almost every woman on her street is forced to obey the command of a father or husband.

I know I could write about this theme for women in general, and not just Hispanic women, but the book mentions how this treatment is more prevalent in that culture. I have also read other books that describe the traditional role Hispanic women were expected to have. I also think it would be interesting to write about the cultural influence on this theme.

Anyway, I wanted to know how I could make this a question and not just an idea. I really have no idea if this is even a good topic. Also, The House on Mango Street is only about 100 pages long, so I was thinking of comparing it to Like Water for Chocolate, which shares the same theme. Is it a good idea to compare the two? Or would that make my essay too confusing?

Well, I don't know a lot about English EEs.

But i was thinking why don't you compare it between the story you have about the Mexican girl which is a novel and compare it with a play which is called Antigone. I believe you are familiar with it. It is a short play and quite the same as the novel you read. However, I am not really sure about the Hispanic part :/

Edited by MR.AHM

You need to sharpen your ideas. Simply, the traditional role of women, is not an argument, just a topic. You gotta shape that idea to form something in which you can actually argue. BTW, we can't really give you a question, but here are some tips in forming one:

A lot of people choose how factor X is responsible for causing event X. Is there something particularly consistent about the role of women in both novels that points towards a certain idea? If so, bite for it.

Some people do ideas, such as the author's use of women's roles to criticize idea X.

Anyway, it is important to remember what is consistent about your ideas so that you can argue your thesis.

BTW, I hope The House on Mango Street was originally written in English because I don't think you can do an essay with 2 translated books... At least one of them has to be originally written in the language you write your essay.

Would it be alright to just write how "women waiting by windows in The House on Mango Street symbolizes their entrapment and their yearning for freedom"? Obviously I would re-word it to sound better. I think I'm just over-thinking this whole thing because it's an extended essay and not a regular essay.

The only problem is that I don't know if I can get 4000 words out of this. That's why I was wondering if I should add in another book. I also want to know if I should stick with writing about the Hispanic background, or should I just write about subjugated women in general?

That sounds fine! But why did you take out Like Water For Chocolate?

Don't worry about your 4000 words. My EE is on one book too, right now it's around 4700 words without any research component. Also you've checked that your book was originally in English right?

For now, if you have a problem with word count, I would write about both, and when you have filled up on your words, that is when you should cut back. If you really have problems with word count, then you could find another book. I am assuming all you need is a draft right now?

Yes, it is originally written in English. And thanks, I think I will write about both for now since it is only a draft that is due. Is there any other book that might work better than Like Water for Chocolate, though? I chose it because I studied it in school, but my friend suggested Dreaming in Cuban.