Economics HL or ITGS HL?

IloveIB!

depends on what you want to study in uni?

I'd say Economics HL is easy (well, many people say so too) so you shouldn't be scared if you have no experience in econ whatsoever. I recommend Econ, more popular and anyway you can go into Business with Econ HL perhaps.

Thanks for helping!

Thing is, Im good at both subjects but im more comfortable with IT!!

Have you done ITGS before?

Sorry I haven't done IT before and I didn't take ITGS either. I would recommend econ HL because in ITGS the chance of getting a 7 is quite low but in economics it is relatively high. In economics you just have to understand the concepts and memorize a few of them. You start from scratch in economics; the IB syllabus assumes that you have never taken it before (there is an introduction chapter). You won't need to study it every day. It's a nice subject to have because it doesn't take up a lot of time which means you can focus more on other subjects. The think about econ is that I wasn't really interested in the material so I found that it could get dry and boring. But your opinion is up to you, actually the majority of my class enjoyed the course so maybe you will too. Make sure that you know how you are being graded (be familiar with the rubric, how many marks each question is worth, etc.) and that you know what the IB looks for when they grade your exams and IAs. Do this and you stand a very good chance at getting a 7.

Ok i can REALLY relate to your problem because i faced the same decision.

So let me tell you what all I gathered:

ITGS is an awesome subject. REALLY. But its ONLY worth doing if your good or at least comfortable at technology. (by technology I refer to Computers, Cell phones, GPS systems etc.)

After spending one and a half years doing this subject, I really enjoy the classes and the online interactivity. the best part was that if i couldn't understand the teacher, i could just go online and figure it out. Check out the syllabus yourself at http://itgsopedia.wikispaces.com/ .

Now most people who I spoke to told me to take Economics cause ECO is very common and most people feel intimidated by technology but taking ITGS was worth it. I'm even doing my EE on it (Check out the link at the bottom of my subjects).

Now you CAN get a 7 in this subject ONLY if you practice writing your answers because most people flunk only because the don't end up fulfilling the criteria set out for the answers. take a look at the syllabus and SPEAK to your teacher before you make your decision. Good Luck!

Do reply back in case you want more help.

ITGS is not so much how computer systems work, but rather how they effect the global society (hence the name ITGS). In my opinion, its piss easy - but I think that's because I'm familiar with it quite well. What confuses me is how not many people receive a 7 for it (in fact, barely any do, less than 1%). I would be quite angry at myself if I don't get a 7 because the grade boundary is extremely low, something like 68% 0r 70%, and to not get above that mark for a computer-related exam would be an insult! :P

Another thing is that it is hard to find a good ITGS teacher to make the class fun and productive, so if your teacher is good, that's a plus.

I haven't taken economics, but from what i've seen, it seems pretty easy.

All in all, if you're good with computers (you truly know you are) and willing to analyse the impacts (positives + negatives) and repercussions of today's technology on the world, then go ahead with it, you'll even enjoy it. The exam questions will be easy for you if you know your stuff (you'll even find that you won't need to study for most exams at all! just keep an open mind).

ITGS is an awesome subject. REALLY. But its ONLY worth doing if your good or at least comfortable at technology. (by technology I refer to Computers, Cell phones, GPS systems etc.)

After spending one and a half years doing this subject, I really enjoy the classes and the online interactivity. the best part was that if i couldn't understand the teacher, i could just go online and figure it out. Check out the syllabus yourself at http://itgsopedia.wikispaces.com/ .

Now most people who I spoke to told me to take Economics cause ECO is very common and most people feel intimidated by technology but taking ITGS was worth it. I'm even doing my EE on it (Check out the link at the bottom of my subjects).

Now you CAN get a 7 in this subject ONLY if you practice writing your answers because most people flunk only because the don't end up fulfilling the criteria set out for the answers. take a look at the syllabus and SPEAK to your teacher before you make your decision. Good Luck!

Hello!! thanks for the advise but i think im gona go for econ HL!! :P It seems to be a lot easier

and i just wanted to ask, is maths SL hard?? (i REALLY suck at maths)

Hello!! thanks for the advise but i think im gona go for econ HL!! :P It seems to be a lot easier

Hey if your school supports it...try doing ITGS for a month. if you cant work with it switch to Eco. Its what most people do when they're unsure about their IB subjects.

And math SL is easy....ONLY IF YOU WORK. Slacking off isnt going to work.

just put in 30 minutes a day into it and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

As for maths SL, when you say 'you REALLY suck' at maths, I'm not sure how to considern you.

For the worst case scenario, I will say that you really do suck at maths (and you are not just being modest) then you should probably just do Maths Studies -especially if your prefered uni course requires no maths.

However, if you are just being modest and you aren't that bad at maths, then there is no reason why you couldn't get 6/7 in maths SL. You would probably have to work fairly hard (an hour or so of maths each night - more or less) plus, if you do a practice course just before the exam (and do LOTS of past exam papers) then I would expect most people (like 70% of IB students) to be able to get a 6/7 for SL Maths.

People only really struggle with maths SL if they don't put in the effort - ultimately it's a course designed for the vast majority of IB students.

(if you are still unsure whether to take maths SL, consider your school a sample population and asses - in terms of mathematical ability - where you would fit. For instance, if you are towards the bottom of a class of 30, perhaps eighth from the bottom, then you are still in the middle 50% of the class and you would probably be fine with SL. Conversely, if you are the worst or second worst, then I would consider Studies. You should also note if there is any skew in your class - ie. is your clas a more advanced or less advanced class?)

Edited by jmw