Sign in to follow this  

Linguistic Imperialism - Any help helpful websites for essay?

Hello everybody!

I have an essay for English to write on Linguistic Imperialism and how English has become the most dominant language in the world. I have read about Phillipson's Theory but still lack more evidence and ideas to help lengthen my essay.

It would be a great help if you have any websites for this.

Thanks,

Rachel

Hello everybody!

I have an essay for English to write on Linguistic Imperialism and how English has become the most dominant language in the world. I have read about Phillipson's Theory but still lack more evidence and ideas to help lengthen my essay.

Thanks,

Rachel

Well I am not familiar with any websites, but in itself you could raise many examples of how Britain dominated the world throughout history and all. With linguistic imperialism comes imperialism itself first, so a few of your points of why the English language retains could be...

In that era

People forced to survive as slaves to the English, as they needed to understand commands

War-time spies

People being forced to assimilate into English society, non slave related, such as in churches, schools, other businesses or institutions require the English language as a medium of communication

In this era

History and significance of the English language persisting, that it as become a global language, as most countries are fluent or speak in it already, the trend continues from there, Britain still stands strong today as a global influence even without imperialistic powers

That might give you a basis for research. :) Hope that helps

Hello everybody!

Thanks,

Rachel

Well I am not familiar with any websites, but in itself you could raise many examples of how Britain dominated the world throughout history and all. With linguistic imperialism comes imperialism itself first, so a few of your points of why the English language retains could be...

In that era

People forced to survive as slaves to the English, as they needed to understand commands

War-time spies

People being forced to assimilate into English society, non slave related, such as in churches, schools, other businesses or institutions require the English language as a medium of communication

In this era

History and significance of the English language persisting, that it as become a global language, as most countries are fluent or speak in it already, the trend continues from there, Britain still stands strong today as a global influence even without imperialistic powers

That might give you a basis for research. :) Hope that helps

Thanks! At least now i know where to start my research! have a good weekend :)