Biology Idea - Too Simple?

Oblivious

Efficacy of Cleaning Agents  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would this make for an okay essay?

I think that this would be a good idea to keep researching...But keep in mind, that you arent working with just ONE apple, but rather around...25 apples. So you would need a LOT of apples. And then the issue of it being practical comes up. Where are you going to keep so many apples? How can you be sure they won't be contaminated? How can you ensure that all variables are kept constant (especially the amount of time apples are left alone so that the E. coli can grow) when you are dealing with so many apples? And the biggest question, how can you make sure each apple has approximately the same amount of E. coli? Of course they don't need to be exact (because they're ridiculously small..) but you can't have a significant difference. You can try researching, but keep all of this in mind.

Why not ask your mentor? Because my mentor shot down 20948294739875295805286025 of my ideas because of the reasons I just stated, as well as MANY more.

I guess I don't need the whole apple, just the skins right? So maybe I could peel it and cut the skins into small squares, it would be easier to store and control the experiment that way. And for amount of E. Coli, I could put the E. coli into a spray bottle and spray each trial once and also count how mush E. Coli is released in one spray.

I'm gonna talk to my mentor once school starts, how now I'm emailing him, I don't think he checks his email often. Thanks again for the help :) You have no idea how grateful I am to have someone to bounce ideas off of. (:

I wonder what other foods I could test these on ... maybe bananas? Oranges? Hmm, I could test time too. Anywho, back to more research ...

• 6 years later...
On 9/2/2011 at 10:23 PM, CkyBlue said:

I'm sorry I am a bio-R-tard, but are bacteria living organisms? If so I am not sure if you can do an experiment on them due to ethical issues...

Taking yet another excerpt from my lovely EE pdf...

"Some topics are unsuitable for investigation because of ethical issues. Investigations that are based on

experiments likely to inflict pain on, or cause unnecessary stress to, living organisms are not appropriate

for submission. Investigations that are likely to have a harmful effect on health (for example, culturing

micro-organisms at or near body temperature), or those which may involve access to, or publication of,

confidential medical information, are also not appropriate."

Also, it has told me that your research question (RQ) is best in the form of a question.

Your thesis must be specific, you must make the effort to mention specific factors in affecting/causing something else (that is also specifically mentioned)

If you'd like, I can copy and paste the whole Bio EE section for you.

Can I please get an example of it?

• 1 year later...

A week after installing the hardwood floors, I decided to wash it with a washing vacuum cleaner... The consequences were terrible, in some places the parquet was swollen and I had to spend significant funds on a partial replacement. Now I use only Bona cleaner review. In addition, only special detergents and a soft rubbing cloth should be used. I would advise all owners of the parquet floor to adhere to the correct conditions for cleaning specified in the article. This will significantly extend the lifespan and preserve the beauty of the floor.