How does the IB affect your life?

CkyBlue

Hey guys, I'd love to hear your thought if the IB has "subliminally" affected your habits, ways of thinking, personality and anything related that might be interesting to you.

I was on a parody sight the other day, and this particularly caught my eye:

The IB Mind

“Teacher to students: Now write your name on this notecard.

Student 1: OK

Student 2: This is easy!

IB Teacher to IB students: [fixed by me)** (N)ow write your name on this notecard.

IB Student 1: How big?

IB Student 2: Which corner?

IB Student 3: Cursive or print?

IB Student 4: Do we need to put our whole middle name or just our middle initial?

IB Student 5: What if we don’t have a middle name?

IB Student 6: Is pencil okay?

IB Student 7: Do you want it on the side with lines or the blank side?

And we were wondering why IB is so hard.”

From compilation of IB quotes

^^I laughed at that.

So one of the things the IB did to me was, though I'm not at the least proud of it, make academic jokes.

What has the IB done to your life?

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 1

ohaha there had been an a bit similar thread on this and I find this reply is hilarious: :lol:

yes it has changed me as an individual significantly.

firstly it changes the way I think about school. I love school now and I value education very highly. but maybe this is not what you wanted to hear.

I think I've been a critical thinker. every time I'm told something I need to understand why otherwise it's difficult for me to grasp and remember. so I question why too often and sometimes I doubt simple things that annoy my teachers. -.- (I guess my IQ is just dropping)

I've also been critical when I watch a movie or a TV drama or when I read a book. it's crazy but it happens...

also socially I've changed to not be outgoing and I don't watch TV anymore. I don't go to the mall as often as I used to before IB, and during weekend all I do is stay at home (well I do go out sometimes) and sleep or do some work.

I've also been meticulous though perhaps because of the skills I picked up in analysing texts in A1.

I've changed in a lot of ways due to IB and I have to say some of these changes are good and prepare me well for uni but sometimes I just feel soooooo...urgh. but there you go.

• Like 1

To be honest, I think I could easily be one of the students in the joke....

IB has definitely made me ask for confirmation a lot more often. I'm less sure of stuff, and I feel that, in a way its made me less independent by constantly asking for what to do, what to do next, etc.

However, I think IB has made me a LOT more independent in terms of getting research, how to write essays, taking notes, etc.

Basically, its improved me where it counts.

• Like 4

The IB has done so much more than make me familiar with academic jokes.

It has put some of these black things under my eyes when IB1 ended.

It made me lose 75HP because of IAs, math portfolios, and exams.

-O.o k no, but it has been detrimental to my health and study performance in the long run

^that is probably my fault though

Being IB has made me, believe it or not, even more bored than I was initially. It is so tiring and annoying constantly having IB work as a conversation topic.

As I am learning, I believe IB is making me weaker short term and stronger long term.

IB has made me pay a lot more attention to detail in reading and writing.

IB English has made me notice the smallest things in a picture in my life. Which makes me notice the smallest quirks in my peers' behaviours.

It has made me more aware of an individuals way of teaching. I feel that, in my school at least, we are exposed to better teachers. When my cohort complains about their teachers, it kinda urges me to reanalyze them. XD

I do not get as much exercise as I want when I'm in IB D: THIS IS A BIG DEAL

It has forced me to do CAS, enough said.

• Like 1

Well, I generally found that IB approaches learning the subjects in a different way.

It's true that if you dislike a subject, IB may make you hate it more. But I don't think IB makes you hate the subject more, I think it just adds the hate of WORKING on the subject to the already present hate of the subject :P

Also, IB approaches the learning in each subject differently. Generally, I like the TOK sections in the subjects, and although there's a lot of work present, I also like how for SLs, the IB curriculum has less content than the normal high school curriculum. This way, depending on the school, you may have the option to change the subjects you don't need into SLs, thereby avoiding a lot of content you dont want to learn, while your HLs can be subjects you ARE interested in, thereby meaning you learn MORE for a subject you need, and this also leads to a potential first year university credit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'd love to hear your thought if the IB has "subliminally" affected your habits, ways of thinking, personality and anything related that might be interesting to you.

The IB Mind

IB Teacher to IB students: [fixed by me)** (N)ow write your name on this notecard.

IB Student 4: Do we need to put our whole middle name or just our middle initial?

^^I laughed at that.

So one of the things the IB did to me was, though I'm not at the least proud of it, make academic jokes.

To be honest,the IB lessons that I've learned have come from people I have interacted with because of IB.But I dont think I've changed much academically.I've been consistent.I'm not that great a planner.I still procrastinate 1.8 or so years later.However,Im not as afraid of microphones or talking as I was in younger years.(Yes,I was afraid of microphones and talking :P )

I don't feel the "academic" fruits of IB yet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

TOK arguments are extremely cool. Lol.

Also.... I start asking weird things related to physics or mathematics. For example, i asked my teacher how could someone prove numbers were real, or prove that addition or multiplication exists. Well, everytime i'm given a new formula or etc, i always ask the teacher how the formula is derived or deduced. Lol.

Well, i sleep much less now.

Also, now i'm uhm a... "critical thinker" i start to ask questions about nearly anything lol. TOK has made me change as a person, it's really beautiful, honestly.

I guess that's all.

Edited by Ipos Manger
  • Like 1

TOK has changed quite me quite a bit. I can relate to most of the posts above.

English HL has had a major effect on me. I can no longer read a book, watch a film or hear the lyrics of a song without an automatic critical analysis taking place in my head.

But i am thankfull for it as its made me a much smarter person in general.(compared to my other classmates who have taken the local country board.)

Guest Frozen Camel

The IB Mind

^^I laughed at that.

Bold part: i remember that episode on my uni entrance exams XD

What did IB do to me? - nothing XD 'once it ends you can hardly remember anything'

• Like 1

the question is: how DOESN'T the IB affect your life!?

everything in my life is governed by me doing IB homework or assignments. i get angry at y parents for making me go places when i need to do my work, then i get angry at the IB when i want to go out and can't because i have too much work!

not to mention the extra scope it gives my parents to lecture me about...

This is similar to the concept of when one door closes, another one opens up for you. So another way of thinking about the IB is: Hello IB, Good-bye (social) life.

I used to be really social and popular, now I never go out, never get a chance to talk to friends from my old school cus of school work, so now I'm the complete opposite of what I was before :sadnod:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...