First language problem

Hi i am going to start IB1 in a couple of days but i have a major problem, i do not have a first language as i have spent half my life in the uk system (primary years only) and then the other half in the french system. Last year i passed both language igcse s but not in first language, at the moment i have chosen French A1 SL and english A2 HL, i will do fine in english but how do you exept me to do lit in french when i have never done any? I am fluent in both but do not have the level of writing for lit. Is There any option for people in my situation?

since you're May 2013, I suggest you to take English A Language&Literature and French B.

having English as your A language will benefit you a lot more than having English B if you want to go to uni in a country that mainly speaks English, so if you're good at both just take English A.

also it's never too late to learn literature, some of my friends are new too but they're picking up the skills.

good luck!

Why is French your A1? Take French B if you don't think you can handle the literature. I took French B, and I got a 6, and this is from someone who isnt very good at it. Also, you should keep English A, because it's more useful when applying for jobs, etc, and it's also a MUCH harder language to be fully fluent in, so the more practice you have, the better.

• Like 2

Ooh Well it seems my school hasnt been telling me all these options,So basically if i want to take english language as a 2nd language but at the highest level possible what course should i be on? i am interested in french uni so do not need the english 1st language but need french to a good level, so do i take French language and lit? Thanks for the much needed feedback, Ib seems like a tough course!

what do you want to study at uni? is it something that needs lit like literature or law or maybe history? or is it more sciency?

if it's more sciency:

go with French A Lit and Lang HL & English Lit and Lang SL

if it needs literature:

go with French A Literature SL & English Lit and Lang SL

why is it best to choose French Lit& Language, it you want to go into the science field?

because:

1. OP is new to literature. doing language A Lit might be a problem.

2. if he wants to study something sciency he wouldn't have to be that excellent at lit, having A Lit&Lang will do.

3. he wants French to be at a somewhat higher level than English so French in group 1 it is and then English in group 2. in group 1, A Lit&Lang SL is the easiest to take up, which I think I would take as well if I were in your batch. in group 2, since OP seems to be unhappy with English B then should take up English A Lit&Lang too.