IB Textbook PDF/eBooks?

soong

Is there a specific reason you're searching for them in PDF/ebook format?

I did a quick google search myself, which was probably less thorough then you.

However, I doubt anyone at the IBO has bothered to convert the books into an online form.

Someone, correct me if I'm wrong?

I'm looking for some eBookstoo and the reason is basically that I'm in a country where getting copies of books designed speciffically for the IB is hard. The only books that I have that are designed for IB Physics is Physics, by Pearson and the red-orange study guide (I don't remember its name nor its author or publisher). I need History Cold War and Math SL too :S

The reason I'm looking for PDF textbooks is because I'm going to buy an iPad 2 so that I can have IB textbooks with me on the iPad wherever I go. The weird thing is, there is a sample of IB Biology SL and HL, for Chapter 1 and 2. They even have it on their website. Since it didn't look anything like a scanned PDF, I was starting to wonder why they didn't release a PDF version (piracy might be an option, but it's a pain in the ass to carry 5 different textbooks just to study them.)

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the publisher. Some publishers provide PDF copies of their textbooks, but others not. As far as I know, most IB book publishers don't do this.

Of the textbooks I own, only these come with a CD containing the PDF form of the book:

- Haese & Harris HL Maths textbook (I know the SL Maths textbook also comes with a CD)

- Haese & Harris HL Maths Options textbook

- IBID Press Chemistry textbook

Of course it's also possible to download these online (illegally). I'm only stating this as an option - I'm not trying to promote piracy. If you choose to do so, it's at your own risk! Don't say I didn't warn you!

Edit: I just remembered that there's already been a similar thread on IBS - Where to find IB E-Book textbook?. Here's the reply I left on the thread in July.

Muhammad Fiqri, I'm confused as to whether you're looking for e-textbooks which are accessed online, or e-textbooks as in physical textbooks in .PDF format.

If you're talking about the former: our school's Economics department and Business department uses the textbooks by Triple A Learning. If your school doesn't subscribe to their textbooks and you're desperate for extra resources you could try to contact them.

I study Economics, and for the subject I have Triple A's e-textbook and also Oxford's course companion. But I almost never use the e-textbook. Why? My problem with e-textbooks is that they lack quality control. Though this just might be my own prejudice...

Authors of e-textbooks don't have to chase after deadlines set by their editors, and they just don't get the same amount of pressure from their publishers than authors writing physical textbooks. Also, since any mistake can be changed instantly in an e-textbook, their authors tend to proofread less. I've seen many typos and other errors in the e-textbook, but almost none in Oxford's textbook. Also, as a result of less proofreading, the explanations in the e-textbook tend to be wordier and less concise. The Oxford textbook on the other hand is so much easier to understand. It also explains the same economic theories in clearer language. But having said that, I guess the advantage of e-textbooks is that they can embed videos, interactive activities and other resources which might be helpful for your learning.

If you're talking about the latter: Haese & Harris' Mathematics textbooks come with CDs that contain the .PDF version of the actual textbook so that you can view it on your own computer. Same with IBID Press' Chemistry textbook (not sure about their books for other subjects). If you're internet savvy you could snoop around on Google and obtain the .PDFs for free. I'm not trying to urge you to break the law, it's just a suggestion ;)

Edited by ninety
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Just had the same experience ninety. Here's what I posted on the other link:

"IB Chemistry is supported by www.ibchemistryonline.com

As the name suggests, it's an online textbook available on subscription for not so much.

Maybe even better is that it's now avaiable as an iOS app, which works out cheaper 'cos you can choose how many/which topics/options you want, or bundles of all the SLor HL topics. Check it out online at https://itunes.apple...d625375085?mt=8"

• kw0573 locked this topic