commentary for english

EvilRussian

Haha, I don't think I can help you there since I haven't read the book. Did you lie about when you have exams?

Generally, I don't think we can provide you a passage. The point of IBS isn't to provide answers or give thesis questions to candidates. We are simply here to guide you through the work process and give you feedback if you'd have something to show us. I like to think of it as you having to do some work first, and then us helping.

It's your job to do your commentary and think about it critically; if we did that for you where would you're responsibility be?

As for your passage, I suggest

-find a recurring idea that is summed up in a passage

-characterization of a figure or event

-moments of reflection, insights developed, or self realization/identification

Good luck.

• Like 2

Well, I must disagree this time with you Pickles. She is not asking us to write the commentary on the 40 lines of "The Bluest Eye", she is asking for help in choosing the passsage. She is not asking for a thesis or answears on her english assignment. If you didn't read the book, don't comment on this post and let another person which have actually read the book help him. Anyways, I must agree with you when you tell Bruce to think crititcally about his job. It is of vital importance to emphasize that its your responsability not ours, it is your homework, not ours.

However, I might be of a little help Bruce. I think you should go to chapter 2: Autumn and go to the part when the author starts describing the apartment, which was formerly a store, that the Breedloves move into once Cholly Breedlove, Pecola’s father, is out of jail. Based from my own experience since I read it in the final year of the MYP while I was doing my Personal Project, you should base yourself in the way he narrator focuses on the furnishings. The furniture is aged but not by frequent use; it does not hold any memories, I think this shows the oblivion in which the house has been left and it symbolises how time has passed, destroying everything. It has been “conceived, manufactured, shipped, and sold in various states of thoughtlessness, greed, and indifference.” Maybe you could talk about how the only piece of furniture that calls up any emotion is the couch, which fills its owner with anger.

There are many other kind of passages in this book, this is just an idea from which you could write a commentary. Remember to formulate your answears in IBS in order to prevent peoplem from misunderstanding them or interpreting them in a different way.

Edit: I hope it helped :)

Edited by Procrastination
  • Like 1

Even so. Locating the whereabouts of a key passage is still an important skill of the student. Would teachers just point out a passage in which the student can get their ideas?

What you did there, if he decides to take it, is his missed opportunity in locating a bunch of important ideas on his own.

I'd have to agree with Pickles. In the beginning (lets say, pre-IB?) teachers can help their students decide what key passages are, and choosing passages for commentaries is also a skill that students need to learn after a while. Its true that in terms of commentaries, there are MANY passages that can be used. However, there are also some very good passages that can be picked out which truly have a lot to analyze.

No! Did if you chose to do a commentary on WLP2, did your teacher just give you a passage?

Did my teacher give me a passage? No. Did she suggest passages in the book that she thought were poignant and I should look into seriously when considering a key passage? Yes. Did she help me finally narrow down on the passage I wanted? Yes. Your teacher is supposed to support you every step of the way, well, a good teacher anyway.

No! Did if you chose to do a commentary on WLP2, did your teacher just give you a passage?

Did my teacher give me a passage? No. Did she suggest passages in the book that she thought were poignant and I should look into seriously when considering a key passage? Yes. Did she help me finally narrow down on the passage I wanted? Yes. Your teacher is supposed to support you every step of the way, well, a good teacher anyway.

Okay, that makes sense. But what you are telling me is different from this case. You actually made an effort to pick out potential passages! You were involved in the process in narrowing down a topic!

• 4 weeks later...

Haha, I don't think I can help you there since I haven't read the book. Did you lie about when you have exams?

Generally, I don't think we can provide you a passage. The point of IBS isn't to provide answers or give thesis questions to candidates. We are simply here to guide you through the work process and give you feedback if you'd have something to show us. I like to think of it as you having to do some work first, and then us helping.

It's your job to do your commentary and think about it critically; if we did that for you where would you're responsibility be?

Good luck.

Good luck.

No! I did not lie to you about exams. what are you talking about?

And thanks for your help mate

Good luck.

No! I did not lie to you about exams. what are you talking about?

And thanks for your help mate

No prob, you can show that with the thumbs up button and whomever else helped you :)

I figured that its almost 2012, and your exams are in 2010, and you need help with a commentary ?

Did something bad happen that you had to redo it? idk...

• Like 1