EE: Comparing the Russian and French Revolutions

Grace

Ok, although it's only my rough first draft due in a few days, I am really beginning to panic a bit! I always knew what my area would be, but I'm having huge difficulty narrowing it down to an appropriate title.

I decided on the Russian and French Revolution because there are so many striking similarities between them - originally I only noticed the similarities between the two leaders, but there are more. A natural title would be to compare two common factors in the causes of both Revolutions, however, the problem is that it is extremely difficult for me to find something appropriate. There are similar factors, but they are either really really broad or of little significance.

I originally considered looking at the role of autocracy in the Revolution, but found it difficult to find solid evidence. I then wondered about some kind of narrow economic cause, or something to do with war? What would be most interesting would be to look at the leaders (Nicholas and Louis) themselves, but there personal matters might be of limited significance.

It would be great if anyone has any advice or guidance on this - is my topic even appropriate for the EE? Is it possible to compare the two Revolutions? Could I do an essay on 'is it possible to compare the importance of XXXX in the Russian and French Revolutions?'.

Thank you :)

Woah calm down!

My EE's in history too. I think your idea of including both revolutions in a comparison may end up being broad. Both are very large topics. Unless you can find a very very specific aspect between the two of them, I'd only focus on one of the revolutions and not both. You'll find that when you start writing, I mean really writing and developing your arguments, there's a lot to say and not a lot of words to say it in. It would be hard to fully discuss the importance of X in both revolutions in 4,000 words. I wish the word limit was higher. But anyways, which of the revolutions do you prefer? There's tons of information on both of those revolutions, so you won't have trouble finding primary and secondary sources on it. Perhaps you could look at either King Louis XVI or Tsar Nicholas II's role in causing the revolution. If you did the Russian revolution, maybe you could try something like "to what extent was Tsar Nicholas II to blame for causing the Russian Revolution?" or "to what extent was Tsar Nicholas II's policy of ________ to blame for causing the Russian Revolution?" And if you did the French Revolution it could be the same, just swap Nicholas for Louis. It's just a suggestion. :)

Woah calm down!

My EE's in history too. I think your idea of including both revolutions in a comparison may end up being broad. Both are very large topics. Unless you can find a very very specific aspect between the two of them, I'd only focus on one of the revolutions and not both. You'll find that when you start writing, I mean really writing and developing your arguments, there's a lot to say and not a lot of words to say it in. It would be hard to fully discuss the importance of X in both revolutions in 4,000 words. I wish the word limit was higher. But anyways, which of the revolutions do you prefer? There's tons of information on both of those revolutions, so you won't have trouble finding primary and secondary sources on it. Perhaps you could look at either King Louis XVI or Tsar Nicholas II's role in causing the revolution. If you did the Russian revolution, maybe you could try something like "to what extent was Tsar Nicholas II to blame for causing the Russian Revolution?" or "to what extent was Tsar Nicholas II's policy of ________ to blame for causing the Russian Revolution?" And if you did the French Revolution it could be the same, just swap Nicholas for Louis. It's just a suggestion. :)

Thanks, calmer now! I don't have to hand it in on Monday any more! You're right - I talked to my supervisor and my original idea was far too broad. I'm still doing both revs, but a far narrower title now :) xxxxxxxxx