Sign in to follow this  

IA (Eco) Minimum pricing used to curb negative externality due to consumption?

Hi guys,

I'm currently working on IA2 for econs and I'm basing my commentary on the negative externalities due to overconsumption of alcohol. The article says that minimum pricing can be used as a policy to curb this negative externality by reducing consumption levels. Although this may sound perfectly logical, I haven't seen any textbooks mentioning price floors to be a policy to reduce negative externalities due to consumption. The textbooks that I have browsed through only mentions implementing taxes when it comes to price-related policies so I'm a little worried about putting minimum pricing as a policy down in my commentary. May I know what do you guys think? Is it a perfectly legitimate policy? Is it alright to ignore this part of the article which talks about minimum pricing (it just takes up one line in the article) since I'm not so sure about it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think you should use the minimum pricing in your commentery. Also feel free to share the article here, if there are better things to talk about just leave the minimum pricing out.