Tiger Parenting topic help

sleepykid

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me phrase my tok presentation title (knowledge issue?) to be more tok-y and to help give me a direction to go in.

the basic idea of my presentation is the disconnect between first generation Asian parents in America and their second generation children who were born in America. This idea came to me in a heated discussion with my very Asian father and i later brought this up in tok class. the conversation in class was about how my parents were not letting me move away to college and other cultural differences.

so yeah, if anyone could please help me i would forever be in debt to you.

Edited by sleepykid

Yes, I thought of that book too. My parents are not like her at all!

Which brings me to my point. There are cultural differences and Asian parenting methods may be different, but don't forget not to stereotype. My parents, for example, wouldn't mind me moving away (maybe they even like the idea :D)

It's an interesting topic though! Maybe you could bring that book into your discussion.

Could you elaborate on what you are going to talk about? Right now your description seems a little broad, but maybe that's just me. Hopefully someone else can help. I just found this thread really interesting...11

Hey this reminds me of Amy Chua's Book, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.

yeah, my friend told me about it when I told her the direction I was going in for my presentation. In a lot of ways my parents hold the same values amy chua does, although no where near a strict as she did.

after researching, im thinking about changing my topic to more of a parenting and not being able to let go area? i dont know if that is any more of a tok topic than the one above. i just need one that i can get high marks on and is interestng :(

Yes, I thought of that book too. My parents are not like her at all!

Which brings me to my point. There are cultural differences and Asian parenting methods may be different, but don't forget not to stereotype. My parents, for example, wouldn't mind me moving away (maybe they even like the idea :D)

It's an interesting topic though! Maybe you could bring that book into your discussion.

Could you elaborate on what you are going to talk about? Right now your description seems a little broad, but maybe that's just me. Hopefully someone else can help. I just found this thread really interesting...11

I was thinking about maybe saying how a lot of first generation Asian immigrants try to teach their children with the "traditional Asian" values and talk about how it conflicts with us as we were born in America and have American friends. Like how we have different views then them because we were born into different enviornments.

I know my topic isn't very developed at all :( and thats because I'm really having a hard time trying to relate this to tok, the ways of knowledge, and knowledge issues. for the life in me i can't think of substantial connections to tok to build my presentation on

Ye..I'll agree. Don't start stereotyping or throwing out racial slurs.

I'm sorry it came off like that, but I really didn't mean it as stereotyping all asians and condemning their methods :no:

It didn't come off like that to me at all, I just wanted to point that out because a topic like this could go in that direction.

First I brainstormed a bunch of questions and sub-topics related to my topic. Then I looked at that a turned it into a knowledge issue, where I tried to include the word knowledge or know. Try it. It doesn't matter if they relate to TOK or are good or bad, just write them down and post them here, and maybe you'll think of something. Then list all the AOK and WOK and write one point about how it relates to each, if possible. Later, when you make your actual presentation you can weed out the weak/ irrelevant points.

Here are some templates I considered using for the knowledge issue:

"To what extent does ____________________________ contribute to our knowledge"

"How do we know that ___________________________________ ?"

okay after much thought and going forwards and backwards with topics I think I'll do "How do we recognize good parenting decisions?" or "how does the ways of knowing help one recognize good parenting decisions?"

I think this is a better topic than the first gen asian parents thing because it isn't asian specific.

Like I can still talk about the tiger mom amy chua thing and my own personal experience where my dad basically forbid me from moving away for college. It can relate to reason in that it is a big requirement in making decisions in general and for it to be good it has to have a logical reasoning. Like in the case of deciding that I can't move away for college is a bad decision because theres certainly more pros than cons. (by the way, after I presented a good argument and got a bunch of family members to talk to my dad he caved and finally accepted that I was going to leave for college)

Emotion because it's a son or daughter we are talking about here and a parent's attatchment to him or her and how emotion can get in the way of good parental judgement (i need to think more about how to talk about this).

so yeah feel free to criticize, suggest, and thanks to anyone who can help me on my quest to a good tok presentation