TOK presentation help

Jaymi

:unsure: Hi guys! Okay im having HUGE troubles with my presentation (which is surprising because i found the essay a breeze) :blink:

Well my topic is around the lines of indian arranged marriages. Its quite close to my heart because my parents were arranged but it fell apart badly and left a huge scar in my sister and my life. Yet the rest of my family (except for one aunt of mine who went through something similar like my dad) has had very successful arranged marriages.

Im not entirely sure on which way of knowing will be best suited with this topic :unsure: any ideas?

Ways of knowing i plan on using are: emotion, perception and authority. Maybe more if anyone can give me ideas?

I have about 3 real life examples (kind of..dont know if they're strong) but atleast i have 3 :P

I really don't know how to go about doing this. :bawling:

Any help is much appreciated guys :D

<3

I agree Cupcakes, reason can also be apart of it and i think what you have is enough. Emotion will be the most important because in an arranged marriage, some people hate the idea of it but because of religion and customs, we have to do it either way. And there's also emotions about the partner and etc. You could also say that although arranged marriages are not appropriate they are sometimes good. Like my parents had an arranged marriage and they were happy. So, it's not always bad because some people tend to fall in love with their partner when they get to know them. I hope that helped :blink:

• Like 1

I'm a TOK noob so don't blame me if what I'm suggesting is not right or not relevant, but I've got a few ideas:

To what extent can your culture control your life? or determine who you are (or something along the line)

maybe you can talk about yeah how your culture had 'forced' your parents into arranged marriage, and whether and how it's justified.

then you can bring up other real life examples such as people's different perspectives in judging something due to our culture. e.g. in indo we disagree with sex before marriage but in the western culture they may have sex as often as they like; is having sex before marriage right or wrong?

I don't know if it's TOK-ish enough but yeah it's just my 2 cents. I hope at least you're inspired :P

• Like 1

Why don't you do it with a friend. and share this title

Arranged Marriage vs Love Marriage,

You can have a debate between them and try to decide which one is better. Use reason and Emotions

You can insert culture and other stuff.

you can start by defining them. And then go on two describing which one is better but you should do it indirectly. I mean don't say because I used Reason to be ToKish :P

Also find some results about which last longer, why maybe Love marriage will last for a shorter period because the couples will already know each other and will have few stuff left to talk about etc... You can make your mind with the ideas

You can also video your friends and they say what do they think about it? something like that :)

Edited by MR.AHM
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

authority? i don't think this is a way of knowing :)

first, i think you need to come up with a few knowledge issues in your topic and knowledge claims

...then come up with some counter claims...and then you can start to add in some real-life examples.

You may also need to make your stance clear. e.g. if you are against arranged marriages

then a bias towards this is that some love-based marriages don't work out either - also you havent experienced marriage yet so you don't know whether the cause of marriage problems are because it is arranged. Would it be any different if it was a love marriage? etc.

You could use authority in your knowledge issue.

i think the best WOKs to use in this case are reason and emotion.

- reasoning behind why they accepted the arranged marriage (culture? power of authority?)

- emotion: whether their emotions led them to accept the arrange marriage (e.g. being happy because their parents are happy about the arranged marriage, influences? - conformity: if it is a common thing in the society)

:)

• Like 1