Extended Essay in Human Rights - The Response to Hurricane Katrina

Andyboi

So i'm considering doing my extended essay in Human Rights on the Federal and Local Response to Hurricane Katrina. Do you think i would be able to make a 4,000 word paper on this subject.

Another thing, i'm also considering doing my EE on the whaling situation in Japan (and other countries like Norway) would something like this go in the Environmental subject of the EE?

Sorry if these questions are vague, i'm new to the site, but i'm not looking for specific answers just to see if these essays are do-able. Thanks peeps!

But... you are not taking a "Human Rights" IB course (do they offer that??)

And I am quite certain that your question will have to be more specific... otherwise your EE examiner will think that your subject was too broad to cover in such depth within the 4000-word limit :(

Also, take a look at past papers to get the gist of what an EE research question looks like :) I found it really helpful :)

Edited by Cupcakes <3

Three things:

1. Which subject does this come under because your EE topic is supposed (or at least encouraged) to be in a subject you've studied (or can study) in the IB? An exposition on human rights violations is rather ambiguous.

2. Do you even know what a Human Right is beyond the creative jargon that is associated with it by local newspapers and channels? Do you know that the difference between a violation and gross violation varies from country to country based on individual charter enactments and Acts? Do you know that Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the HRC in the UN is a universally suggested charter and can be disregarded with little to no repercussions or compensation to the aggrieved party and a basic censure to the member nation within council for a short duration of time?

3. Lastly, the way your topic has been framed thus far, its broadness and lack of depth makes it sound like you're prepping yourself and reading up on writing a heavily one-sided paper that will border on being a rant rather than an exposition of violations and other instances of upheld human rights as they are legally recognised by the States of Louisiana, Mississippi, and New Orleans.

• Like 1

So far and based from my experience I know that Extended Essays under the Human Rights section fit into History, somebody in my school made an extended essay on HR talking about the response of the blue helmets in rwanda's genocide last year, I think he got a B. The point is that his extended essay, even though it was based on HR, was mainly historical. I am not quite sure you can just do an extended essay on Human Rights without any historical context, what I've understood from my diploma coordinator is that this kind of essays have strictly correspond to IB History, A subject which you are not taking.

I seriously suggest you to think about other things since none of your subjects gives you the knowledge you need in order to do something like this. Furthermore your topics lack in depth and following my previous statement about HR EE's belonging to History, they are not even suitable. Any EE written on history must be about a topic or an event that happened at least 10 years ago, Hurricane Katrina happened in 2005 so just forget it. You should start searching for other options Blumenstein. Sorry and I hope you find another topic if you consider my guidance.