Choosing a subject for the EE (help much appreciated)

JaeJ

I want to talk about how advertisement (different aspects about it) has changed over the time considering globalization, media, etc. and the current impact of it in society.

It's my second time trying to choose a topic, the idea is kind of new so it's not very precise, though I already have done investigation online. Do you think I should narrow it? any other comments/opinions are very welcome.

Also, I'm not sure in which subject it would fit, I was reading the EE guide and maybe it could fit on social and cultural anthropology? I know it's essential to choose the subject first, but the idea came suddenly... I'm worried that it wouldn't fit it in any subject, I'm really interested in this topic, but I'm pretty disoriented in this matter, our tutor isn't very helpful, he has barely talked about the EE

Um... That's a really random topic tbh. I'm not so sure about it fitting into Anthropology as fluidly as you would hope. Advertising is a form of media, it is not a kind of culture or subculture which is what the study of Anthropology is about. In fact in legal terms, Anthropologists are considered to be culture thieves. I see this topic fitting into consumer taste management and understanding, so many B&M? Or if you're focussing on the actual advertisement itself then maybe even English? But I doubt the latter.

If I were you, I would try to find inspiration elsewhere.

Edited by Arrowhead

I would suggest B&M considering what your doing, but then you would have to focus on the business aspects and you would have to compare the results of advertising (whether it was good /bad etc.)

Otherwise I would suggest ITGS (Information technology in Global Society) but then you would have to change your question more along the lines of " What is the impact of online advertising on society?" or if you want to become MORE specific then "impact on teenagers" . I am doing both both subjects at the higher level, thus I can help you from that standpoint.....

Anyhow, remember that whatever subject you go with your SUPERVISOR must have some sort of experience or knowledge with that subject. Once you DO identify that teacher, GO get his/her opinion on your topic.

I disagree with Arrowhead, I don't really feel your topic is bad, it just requires a major amount of tweaking. Oh and each subject has its own separate EE criteria. Try and get your hands on that once you decide a subject, as it will help you write the EE.

@Arrowhead, you're right about the Anthropology part, thanks for clearing up.

I think it neither would fit at all in B&M because what I wanted is like to see how society is in part modeled according to advertisements, you know, for example, like body image changing, etc., not exactly business related.

Ishaan, I really liked your idea about doing it on ITGS! thank you very much, though, as you mention, I think I'll still have to tweak it a lot.

Because there are not really a lot of advertisements on the internet compared to the TV, for example, I think it would be better to think about other aspect maybe? do you have any suggestions/opinions? I thought about social networks but I think they could be a "popular" topic right now.

Your welcome! And there's a thumbs up on the bottom right of every post (If you wanna show your appreciation!)

Yes social networks ARE a very popular topic, but then again if your REALLY into advertising and talking about the effects of advertisements then 'Internet ads' & 'In game advertising' are some good topics.

I guess Internet advertisements (pop-ups or those Facebook ads) is an interesting topic because websites all OVER the world depend on ads for revenue so i guess there are plenty of advantages/social and ethical implications/disadvantages etc. you can write about. A sample topic would be "To what extent do online ads affect the younger generation internet users?"

In-game advertisements are gaining a lot of public scrutiny these days as many publishers (Electronic Arts/ Ubisoft/ Activision) are looking to allow people to play their games for free in exchange for having ads displayed during their gaming. I personally think its a good topic as there are benefits for everyone plus at the same time may have adverse effects like loss of revenue for company(s) or addiction to free games etc. This topic would require extensive amount of research though.

If your school offers ITGS as a subject then SPEAK to that teacher. He/She can give you a clearer insight to what an EE in this subject would be about. If not, feel free to ask for help in this forum.