Can a job count towards cas hours?

anonymous4

It obviously doesn't fit in service as you're doing your job for your own benefit and not for the welfare of others. I don't really think it fits into creativity and I don't really know if it counts towards action. In fact, you're just following directions in Burger King without any kind of selfawareness or contribution... In conclusion: I don't really think it counts for CAS hours, sorry.

Edited by Procrastination

As TurtleR said, we're not supposed to be payed for our work... otherwise it isn't "SERVICE" :P Also, I'm pretty sure that it's written somewhere in the CAS requirements, aha.

One way of working around this is to actually donate the money that you earn towards, or to a charity of some sort. You could also use that money to fund another CAS event and then you'll be killing two birds with one stone

You would obviously want to talk to your CAS supervisor about the idea above, though... you don't want to already go through all the work of planning and then have your CAS supervisor rain on your parade. That wouldn't be cool :no:

That would be so disappointing!! :dash:

Edit:

Maybe you could run some survey or something?? Maybe use your facility and do a FlashMob?? That would be SO cool :) And once again, make sure that you put it on ManageBac and/or talk to your CAS supervisor to see if they'll accept that idea :)

Edited by Cupcakes <3
  • Like 1

Hey I have a question similar to this thread so I figured I could just add this here instead of creating a new one.

I was a student intern at NCI (US government research lab). This internship consisted of learning how to perform experiments and how to interpret results from a designated mentor. It's full time, for 8 weeks of summer. Now the tricky part is while I don't get paid by the hour, at the end all of the students receive money as a stipend...

so I'm having a hard to coming to a conclusion whether or not this would count as CAS. I would like to know as since it's full time it's pretty much the only thing I did during the summer :(

thanks in advance!

Hey I have a question similar to this thread so I figured I could just add this here instead of creating a new one.

I was a student intern at NCI (US government research lab). This internship consisted of learning how to perform experiments and how to interpret results from a designated mentor. It's full time, for 8 weeks of summer. Now the tricky part is while I don't get paid by the hour, at the end all of the students receive money as a stipend...

so I'm having a hard to coming to a conclusion whether or not this would count as CAS. I would like to know as since it's full time it's pretty much the only thing I did during the summer :(

thanks in advance!

IB says that CAS should be not-for-profit.

That means that as long as you go to do things not for profit, that means, you work not to get money, but experience, then it should be counted as a CAS.

Think of it this way: it's like you study how to play a violin, then you get to perform in a concert, and you get money from the concert. Does that mean your time practicing is not counted as CAS since you get money after? No, it doesn't right?

So, for your case, yes, it should be considered as CAS.

For BK above, then it shouldn't since the assumption is, your doing it for the money. So, from what I know, not a CAS.