EE in Biology

IB Andy

I am currently doing my extended essay on Biology and had finally formulated out a topic. Unfortunately, teacher-strike is going on in my area, so my teacher did not reply to my topic choice.

I was wondering if my topic will be too simple

Here is my research question:

How will the released of lactic acid in a particular body part affect the growth hormone production and will it stimulate growth?

Well, I can point out two issues imo: which body part? The brain (which lobe?)? The skeleton (which part/bone?)? A muscle (which muscle?)? Where are you expecting it to produce growth?

e.g.: How will the release of lactic acid in the triceps surae (a muscle) affect the growth hormone production, and will it stimulate growth of the muscle?

Now you have to ask yourself if that's a question you can answer within 4000 words. If you can answer it well within 4000 words, then it's a good topic. If you can't answer it in at least 3000 words, then it's not a good topic. I'd suggest doing some literature searching before finalizing this topic. I came up with a broad topic and then had to narrow it down a bunch because I didn't look at any literature before selecting my topic.

Hope I helped :)

Hey! Good start. But make sure that you can come up with an experiment that helps to answer the question. How are you going to measure which muscle and the growth hormone? How do you know if the changes in growth hormone comes from the lactic acid or not? How are you going to isolate your IV? Is this for humans or other animals? Human and animal experiments are often hard to conduct because it is too complicated. That is why many students prefer to do their experiment on non vertebrae organisms like plants.