Physics SL SHM

IBsurvivor2012

Heyyy... help.gif

I have taken Physics and Math at SL. Currently, we r doing SHM in physics. I barely understand that chapter (one reason: it has a lot of math stuff that we haven't covered as yet). I would be grateful if anyone could help me with any tips, advise, suggestions, notes, good ebooks (besides gian coli and tsokos), questions, etc... I have a test day after tomorrow... PLzzzz helpppp ASAP...

Thanks!

Gosh! Physics is killing me! study.gif

in this topic you need to know the basics of differentiation (calculus) You don't have to derive the formulas as they are written in your data booklet. But it is good to know how it gets there.

In the acceleration, velocity and displacement during SHM

you need to make sure this is radians not in degrees. I am sure you know what they are!

displacement = x = A sin(wt) where t=time, A=maximum and w =2pi/360<< not sure of this

you know how the graph would look like a sine curve

From that graph you can get the velocity. And velocity is the gradient. The gradient is the first derivative.

the derivative of sin(wt) = cos(wt)*w

so v = A*w cos(wt)

And the gradient of velocity-time graph is acceleration.

a= - A*w^2 sin(wt) because derivative of cos(wt) = -sin(wt)*w

therefore a= - A*w*w sin(wt)

and you use integration to find to go find the area of the curve...

For example acceleration-time graph area = Velocity

and velocity-time graph area = displacement

and displacement-time graph area= something insignificant

I also recommend the book IB Study Guides, Physics, by Tim Kirk, Oxford

Things you need to focus on:

Types of damping: Critical, light and over damping And Also resonance -different from damping-

Energy changes during SHM: Potential Energy + Kinetic Energy =Total Energy.

And the waves part is quite easy just make sure you memorize and understand the definitions

Edited by MR.AHM
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KAPOWW!!

Which is the best physics sl text book for understanding shm?

I'm an SL student too, but just because I'm SL doesn't mean I don't need a strong base or understanding of the things we learn, So I use the HL Pearson physics textbook, and read it up and just cancel out HL syllabus parts! :) Works for me! :) So if you're really looking to score do it the tough way. ;)

Which is the best physics sl text book for understanding shm?

I'm an SL student too, but just because I'm SL doesn't mean I don't need a strong base or understanding of the things we learn, So I use the HL Pearson physics textbook, and read it up and just cancel out HL syllabus parts! :) Works for me! :) So if you're really looking to score do it the tough way. ;)

Heyyyy... Thanks :)

Is there an ebook for the pearson text book?

Guest KAPOWW!!

Not that I know of, But check with your school they'd probably have it. Secondly, *Sighs* if you like a post 'thanks' is looked down upon at IBS, use the thumbs up button at the bottom right of a post...:)