Those in need of practice

Guest KAPOWW!!

Guest KAPOWW!!

Hey, guys so I, like few other people have chosen to specialize in poems only so I don't waste time practising prose for the P1.

Objective:To critically analyse poems, everyone's invited!

Note: Lets make this legible for IB student in the future and not clutter it up with too many replies. Try to keep it down to a single post and editing that one, please?, you can Imagine how tough it becomes to read through a trails of irrelevant comments. I hope you understand that this will promote better efficiency towards meeting our objective. Thanks! :D

Alors. We shall commence with the poem: The love song of J.Alfred Prufrock, the following is an excerpt from the same:

The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-panes,

The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes,

Licked its tongue into the corners of the evening,

Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains,

Let fall upon its back the soot that falls from chimneys,

Slipped by the terrace, made a sudden leap,

And seeing that it was a soft October night,

Curled once about the house, and fell asleep.

And indeed there will be time

For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,

Rubbing its back upon the window-panes;

There will be time, there will be time

To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;

There will be time to murder and create,

And time for all the works and days of hands

That lift and drop a question on your plate;

Time for you and time for me,

And time yet for a hundred indecisions,

And for a hundred visions and revisions,

Before the taking of a toast and tea.

I think that should be enough lines, eh? Though I think I'm wrong, PM me if so. Don't worry this ISN'T random, these 2 stanzas say much.

Guest KAPOWW!!

My analysis of this excerpt:

The stanzas are of varying sizes since the each seem to describing a different stage of this 'trip' of the poet's.

The poem posses no clear rhyme scheme though rhymes can be spotted a few times interspersed within the poem, evoking Stanza 1-"Leap & Asleep" and Stanza 2-"Create & Plate, Me & Tea, Indecisions & Revisions' (Those are just a few)

The register of the poem is rather on the informal side, though the bits of sordid description attribute to a more serious tone. The register also owes to the considerable amounts of visual imagery.

The tone of the author varies, In stanza 2 he is nervous about something, one can assume it is the woman he loves since its the love song of alfred prufrock. When we meet a person the persona we project is sometimes a facade or mask as the poet says, the nervousness is portrayed by "Time to murder and create" since it shows that he is pondering over how he should present himself to the lady and these time to contemplate which one would be perfect.

That's all for the day, will add more in the morrow ;)