Need idea's - Bio EE

Tulle

Hi there guys, my research question is "the effect of depth on the speed of germination'.

I've asked my adviser about the title, but she said that the topic is too broad. I need to be more specific.

I got until sunday to come up with a decent idea otherwise I will have to change my subject to something else other than bio.

Help me please

Yes i quite agree with your supervisor that it IS too broad. Why dont you try using maybe just 1 or 2 variables. In your case, maybe you could see whether light can have an effect on germination depending on the depth (but just choose maybe 4 or 5 values for the depth). Or amount of water or even types of fertilizers?

If none of those are unappealing, why dont you see which types of seeds are effected most by depth.

Just a few ideas. All up to you how you go about doing the experiments.

Good Luck!

Yes i quite agree with your supervisor that it IS too broad. Why dont you try using maybe just 1 or 2 variables. In your case, maybe you could see whether light can have an effect on germination depending on the depth (but just choose maybe 4 or 5 values for the depth). Or amount of water or even types of fertilizers?

If none of those are unappealing, why dont you see which types of seeds are effected most by depth.

Just a few ideas. All up to you how you go about doing the experiments.

Good Luck!

I think the amount of water is very simple and has an obvious answer, same with type of fertilizers, i wont be able to write 4000 words about it. But the effect of light on Germination depending on depth won't work because seeds cannot use photosynthesis until the shoot appears so.

More idea's would be appreciated.

Edited by Tulle

lol sorry, forgot about the light and photosynthesis part..maybe heat??

How do you think i can measure the change? Heat is just like temperature and the answer is obvious too :P. higher temp > more kinetic energy > fast germination.

Maybe i should consider changing the research question to something else but still concerning germination.

How do you think i can measure the change? Heat is just like temperature and the answer is obvious too :P. higher temp > more kinetic energy > fast germination.

Maybe i should consider changing the research question to something else but still concerning germination.

well that isnt exactly true, there is a temperature at which the enzymes are denatured due to extreme heat. so you could do the optimum temperature at which germination occurs.

well that isnt exactly true, there is a temperature at which the enzymes are denatured due to extreme heat. so you could do the optimum temperature at which germination occurs.

Yes I understand that, but I think that the experiment itself is far to simple and hard to write 4000 words about. Scoring a high grade on such experiment can be very risky. I'm aiming for an A or a B.

I got another Idea, Investigating the effect of Light on the population size of Anthemis Palestina'. Tell me what you think :)