Chemistry HL/SL help

Hedron123

Hi, my Chem SL teacher never really explained the syllabus to us. She just said study it. Now that I'm looking over it, I have a tiny question! :)

It has Topics 1-11 as Core topics

And 12-20 as "AHL" topics

Since I'm in SL, do I just go over Topics 1-11 (completely disregard 12-20 o.o) and then choose my 2 options?

Edit: Oh and also, say I pick Option C, I would only need to study C1-C7 and not C8-C12? My teacher recommended studying everything but the syllabus says C8-C12 are extension material for HL only ^^"

Edited by IBavictim

Hi, my Chem SL teacher never really explained the syllabus to us. She just said study it. Now that I'm looking over it, I have a tiny question! :)

It has Topics 1-11 as Core topics

And 12-20 as "AHL" topics

Since I'm in SL, do I just go over Topics 1-11 (completely disregard 12-20 o.o) and then choose my 2 options?

Edit: Oh and also, say I pick Option C, I would only need to study C1-C7 and not C8-C12? My teacher recommended studying everything but the syllabus says C8-C12 are extension material for HL only ^^"

I am in Chemistry SL too :)

Just study the Core topics. AHL topics are meant for HL students only.

So study topics 1-11 and option topics C1-C7.

You can completely neglect topics 12-20 and option topics C8-C12 :yes:

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm confused about the rate determining step (kinetics). How do I know which one it is? I mean, I always thought; for example, that there if there are two steps then because the second step uses the product of the first one then the first one is the rate determining one as the second one can't proceed without it. Meanwhile, my teacher told me that it is not that simple and that sometimes the second step; although depending on the first one, can be the rate determining one.

I need help as to recognising the RD step, thanks!

Matt

Hi,

I'm confused about the rate determining step (kinetics). How do I know which one it is? I mean, I always thought; for example, that there if there are two steps then because the second step uses the product of the first one then the first one is the rate determining one as the second one can't proceed without it. Meanwhile, my teacher told me that it is not that simple and that sometimes the second step; although depending on the first one, can be the rate determining one.

I need help as to recognising the RD step, thanks!

Matt

It's always the slow step. The relationship between the two steps only influences the order of the reaction.

Think about a massive factory, with thousands of shoes being produced every hour. If you can make 1 million shoelaces an hour but only 500,000 shoes, you're only going to make 500,000 shoes per hour, right?

• Like 1

Hi! Does anyone have an easy way to remember how to name organic compounds with all the functional groups? I tend to mix the order up >.<

For example:

```````CH3```````CN

`````````|```````````` |

CH3-CH-CH2-CH-CH3

I saw that as 4-methylpentanenitrile .__. (I counted starting from the right)

But the answer key says it's supposed to be 2,4-dimethylpentanenitrile (Counting from the left)

Can someone explain to me why it's 2,4-dimethyl instead of just say, 2-methyl (counting from left)?

And also, this is what I meant by mixing things up. Sometimes I don't know which one is 'more important' to start counting from (lol am I'm making sense? ) ><

Thank you so much ! :D

Edited by IBavictim

Hi! Does anyone have an easy way to remember how to name organic compounds with all the functional groups? I tend to mix the order up >.<

For example:

```````CH3```````CN

`````````|```````````` |

CH3-CH-CH2-CH-CH3

But the answer key says it's supposed to be 2,4-dimethylpentanenitrile (Counting from the left)

Can someone explain to me why it's 2,4-dimethyl instead of just say, 2-methyl (counting from left)?

And also, this is what I meant by mixing things up. Sometimes I don't know which one is 'more important' to start counting from (lol am I'm making sense? ) ><

I'm probably not the best person to answer questions about organic chemistry but I'll try.

When you look at the structure the first carbon you should count from is the one with the N. That is you first carbon in the chain, then you have 2 methyl groups coming off the chain at carbon 2 and carbon 4. Therefore it's 2,4-dimethylpentanenitrile.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 2

For example:

```````CH3```````CN

`````````|```````````` |

CH3-CH-CH2-CH-CH3

FIRST thing you ever do for naming is find the longest chain of carbons. Doesn't matter how many turns you take or anything...find the longest chain possible. After that you find the functional group in the compound and number your carbons starting from there. After that you find the numbers and their groups and whatever. After that you put the functional groups in alphabetical order. If you have a methyl and an ethyl and maybe the methyl is on C2 and the ethyl is in C3, it doesn't matter that the methyl group comes first, ethyl starts with an e so it would be 3-ethyl-2-methylblahblahblah.

And kiwia is right :)

Edited by Drake Glau
  • Like 1

I just did a test on Topic 1, it went pretty well, but there was one multiple choice question I was a little unsure about.

Avogadro's constant is the same as:

A. The number of molecules in 1 mole of solid Iodine

B The number of molecules in 1 mole of Chlorine gas

C. The number of ions in 1 mole of Potassium Bromide

D. The number of protons in 1 mole of Helium gas

I chose A because I think that solid Iodine is just I, so there should be 6.02x10^23 Iodines in 1 mole of solid Iodine. I am still unsure . . . can someone help me out? :blink:

I'd choose B. Solid iodine is indeed just I, but it's just I...that's an atom...that'd be the number of ATOMS in solid iodine. Chlorine gas is diatomic and therefore Cl2 so avagadro's number would be the number of those diatomic molecules in one mole :)

Also, just to explain the rest...

C would actually be 2 moles since the KBr would be K+ and Br- and results in 2 moles instead of 1

D is 2...yea...

Edited by Drake Glau

I have question:

5 dm3 of carbon monoxide, CO (g), and 2 dm3 of oxygen, O2(g), at the same temperature and pressure are mixed together. Assuming complete reaction according to the equation given, what is the maximum volume of carbon dioxide, CO2(g), in dm3, that can be formed?

2CO(g)+O2(g)=2CO2(g)

A. 3

B. 4

C. 5

D. 7

Thanks

The limiting reagent is Oxygen gas.

This is because, if you divide the volume of CO by 2 (the mole ratio), you get 2.5dm cubed

However, dividing the volume of Oxygen gas by 1 (the mole ratio), gives 2dm cubed

So, there is less Oxygen gas, and so it is the limiting reagent

Therefore, take this, multiply it by 2 to get the volume of Carbon Dioxide produced:

2(2dm cubed) = 4dm cubed of Carbon Dioxide

Which is B.

• Like 2

The volume of all gases is proportional to the number of moles. Thus you have 5 units of CO and 2 units of O2. The ratio according to the equation is 2:1:2. To find the limiting reagent divide the ration with the units. CO = 2.5 and O2 = 2. Therefore O2 is the limiting reagent. Since 2 units of O2 will make 4 units of CO2, B is the answer.

• Like 1

Find your limiting reactant using the volume/mol ratio of 22.4. If you have 5dm3 of CO, thats 5/22.4=0.22mol and 2dm3 of O2 is 0.09mol. This makes O2 the limiting reactant and the mol:mol ratio of CO2:o2 is 2:1 so that gives you 0.18mol of CO2. Use the volume per mole thingy again to get 0.18*22.4=4.032...or B :)

Keel beat me, and adletaY beat me...I'm gettin' slow apparently lol :D

Edited by Drake Glau
  • Like 2

80tonnes=80,000kg (80,000,000g)

80,000,000/160=500,0000mols of iron(III) oxide

ratio of 2:1 (product:reactant)

500,000mols*2=1,000,0000mols of Fe

MrFe=55.845

1,000,000*55.845=55,845,000grams

1,000,000 grams per tonne

55,845,000/1,000,000=55.845 or B

Shorter version:

Convert tonnes to grams

Grams to moles

Find your ratio in your reaction

convert moles back to grams

convert grams to tonnes.

Edited by Drake Glau

80tonnes=160,000grams

160,000/160=1000mols of iron(III) oxide

ratio of 2:1 (product:reactant)

1000mols*2=2000mols of Fe

MrFe=55.845

2000*55.845=111690grams

2000 grams per tonne

111690/2000=55.845 or B

Shorter version:

Convert tonnes to grams

Grams to moles

Find your ratio in your reaction

convert moles back to grams

convert grams to tonnes.

How exactly are you supposed to find your ratio ?

Thanks