Business and Management Case Study

Hey guys,

I had a little debate with my Business and Management teacher about how much time should be spent on studying the IB case study (that is the subject for paper 1). I thought that you were meant to spend about half a year just on analysing it, while she said that no time is meant to be spent on it and we were meant to prepare for paper 1 by ourselves. Could you help me clarify this? How much time should be spent on the case study for paper 1? Is there any part in the syllabus where this is mentioned?

I realise this is a complicated topic, so any help would be welcome,

Thanks so much

Since this is the paper which holds more marks, this paper should be WELL prepared before entering the exams. If not, its like going into the exam with a blind eye. We're studying this case in class since we're already done with the syllabus.

I think you should talk to your teacher about sparing maybe 2 or 3 lessons for studying this case with your class, since you said that your teacher said that you have study it by yourself (?). If thats the case, theres a great thread in the B&M forum that just discusses the case. Read through it and hopefully you can start preparing for it. But hurry! theres not much time:)

(btw, this thread should have been in the B&M and Economics forum) :)

This is the the link to the thread for the 2011 case study.

• Like 1

While you should probably spend a bit of time on it, dont freak out that your teacher isnt giving you much time. As jaymi said, ask your teacher and see if you can spend a little time on it in class but studying by yourself isnt too much of a disadvantage. As long as you are familiar with the case study and your knowledge of the content of the subject is solid you should be alright, so don't sacrifice time actually learning about the case study in sacrifice of actually studying subject content. Going through the case study and evaluating all the decisions being made and all the problems in the business will probably help, but you can do that by yourself. Just make sure you understand it all, have a god understanding of all the concepts in the case study and read through whatever you can find on the internet and you should be fine.