Rotary Exchange in the Netherlands, and continuing my IB there

pennywise256

This topic is mostly for those who are familiar to Rotary exchanges. I live in Mexico, the way IB works here is quite different from other countries. IB is supposed to last 2 years. However, for law preuniversitary education must last 3 years here in Mexico, and IB is not the exception, so what most of schools do is a strange trick consisting in teaching the subjects from the first year, through the second year,and reviewing them in the last one. Even though we don't get signed up in IB until we are in the second year (the official first year of IB). They pick the subjects they are going to teach us, as well as the exams we are going to apply in higher level. I am now on the second year (first one officially for IB), and I'm 16 years and 9 months old, my birthday is on November 30.

My idea is moving to the Netherlands with the help of Rotary exchanges when I start the last year of IB here (August 2012), but I don't know if I can ask to Rotary the School I need to be placed in, to be able to apply for the same subjects I'd apply in my home country. I don't even know if I could ask to be placed in an IB school. The ones I have checked that teach roughly the same subjects are The International School of The Hague (State funded), and the IS of Amsterdam (private). I need to know what I'd need to do in order to be gain the exchange of Rotary, It's really my dream to be in The Netherlands.

The subjects I would apply here are the following:

Spanish A1

English B

Math Studies

Biology

Anthropology

Philosophy

There's a big problem with the last two, that there's no school in Europe offering Anthropology, and very few do offer Philosophy. So, what I'm thinking is modifying some of the subjects. Perhaps I could change Anthropology for the country's language in B SL, like German B or Dutch B. And Philosophy, well I'd have to study it on my own, and perhaps I could get some help from my home school or someone in the Dutch school. I also would like to try English A2, instead of English B.

So my curriculum would end up looking like this

Spanish A1 HL

English A2 SL

Math Studies SL

Biology HL

Philosophy SL

German or Dutch B HL

I'm really smart when it comes to learn languages, I could perfectly learn it in no more than 3 months. A proof is that one month ago came to my school a German guy (by rotary btw), we have become friends, and now I'm already able to have short conversations with him.

Is it possible changing my curriculum? Or perhaps If I confirm the exchange now I could ask my home school to sign me up me for German or Dutch instead of Anthropology. But that would be quite risky, because What if I don't get the exchange ?

Another topic is the Age and the dates. IB Exams are held on May 2013. I go 18 on November 2012. IB top age limit is 19 years. Rotary top age at the time of the departure is 18.5. I go 18.5 on May 30 2013, the same as IB exams. That's why I cannot wait until I finish my IB here, since I'd overpass Rotary top age limit.

My situation is special, and I really dream with the Netherlands, or Neighbour countries, such as Belgium or Germany. I need to know exactly how Rotary works, what a Rotary club is and what the selection process is like. I consider myself as a very smart person, and I truly believe I can do with it. Some of my current classmates have been in exchanges and they say they were almost not taken in account by teachers and the school because of the language and because of the difference of systems ( because it was before they started IB here). I would like to be placed in an IB school so I'd be treated as a student.

Thanks for everything, yo uare the best.

Edited by pennywise256

Nice to see that you want to go on the rotary exchange program!

I went to Japan 10/11. It was an amazing experience and I encourage everyone to do an exchange year, It'll look god on your resumé too.

Onto the matter. I would not bet on you getting placed in a school of your own choice, I had nothing to say in the matter when I went. This may had to do with the fact that I went to japan, a very conservative country, but I doubt it. Secondly, you will be pretty busy with rotary activities and other stuff, IB would make your time there less fun. But please, mail the one in charge of the exchange program and ask! the worst that can happen is that they can not guarantee it. But again, please go, It will give you a lot of nice memories, friends for life, and experience to carry throughout life.

• Like 1

Nice to see that you want to go on the rotary exchange program!

I went to Japan 10/11. It was an amazing experience and I encourage everyone to do an exchange year, It'll look god on your resumé too.

Onto the matter. I would not bet on you getting placed in a school of your own choice, I had nothing to say in the matter when I went. This may had to do with the fact that I went to japan, a very conservative country, but I doubt it. Secondly, you will be pretty busy with rotary activities and other stuff, IB would make your time there less fun. But please, mail the one in charge of the exchange program and ask! the worst that can happen is that they can not guarantee it. But again, please go, It will give you a lot of nice memories, friends for life, and experience to carry throughout life.

I will try, Thanks for your valuable advice friend. hope we can continue in touch.